Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 15 Beta 2 available through Google Play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Since Kodi 15 Beta 2 was released, Google Play has been asking me to upgrade Kodi on my Android devices... I'm happy that Kodi is now available through Google Play but, is this really a good idea? do you really want to mass update people to a Beta version like that?

Thankfully most of my devices have the auto-update feature in Google Play disabled but my wife's didn't so her tablet stopped working (as her user didn't have access to create the new Databases for the upgrade)...
I would have to agree 100%. Google Play should be stable version and any Beta version should be ones you sideload.
If you "gentlemen" did more reading, and less typing, you'd see from other threads that it is apparently felt that the Isengard Beta 2 is pretty much a better alternative than the current 14.2 release for the majority of users...
Yes, this is desired. Several Android-specific changes have gone in that, at this point, make Beta 2 more stable than v14.2 is. Unlike other platforms, Android has been a little more chaotic. Linux, Windows, OS X, those are platforms we know inside and out, and we typically tell people to be careful and "don't fix what isn't broken". Android has been very different, and with each release Kodi/XBMC has become drastically improved.

If Kodi was Android only, and we didn't have to sync up version numbers across platforms, then we probably would have already labeled it as v15.
(2015-06-19, 20:49)technisol Wrote: [ -> ]If you "gentlemen" did more reading, and less typing, you'd see from other threads that it is apparently felt that the Isengard Beta 2 is pretty much a better alternative than the current 14.2 release for the majority of users...

Lol, that does not have anything to do with the fact that it is beta and causes trouble for people using centralized MySQL databases, personally I use the android version without any issue and don't want to use beta on my other boxes (Windows & OS X), maybe RC but not betas, I leave that for the people with time to work around bugs...

(2015-06-20, 06:31)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, this is desired. Several Android-specific changes have gone in that, at this point, make Beta 2 more stable than v14.2 is. Unlike other platforms, Android has been a little more chaotic. Linux, Windows, OS X, those are platforms we know inside and out, and we typically tell people to be careful and "don't fix what isn't broken". Android has been very different, and with each release Kodi/XBMC has become drastically improved.

If Kodi was Android only, and we didn't have to sync up version numbers across platforms, then we probably would have already labeled it as v15.

Cool, if that's the Team decision then sure... what do users know...

Happy to hear great improvements have been done on the Android version, looking forward for a stable release on all platforms.

Thanks
"Lol, that does not have anything to do with the fact that it is beta and causes trouble for people using centralized MySQL databases, personally I use the android version without any issue and don't want to use beta on my other boxes (Windows & OS X), maybe RC but not betas, I leave that for the people with time to work around bugs..."

Proper quoting -I leave that for the people who have time to come back and create posts with multiple quotes just to kvetch about how important their time is...

And here I thought your major objection centered around the one actual difficulty that you(or your wife) apparently caused by not granting her user proper permissions and selecting the proper update policy... Well, I am truly properly chastised. ;-)

Have you noticed yet that your original & followup posts center almost entirely around how the decision of the developers has inconvenienced YOU in some small way(having to actually ignore the prompt to update KODI -scandalous!), rather than how the developers and many other users find it beneficial because MANY other individuals likely with less complicated systems and less experience than yourself would benefit? Hmmm, that "new math" is a doozie...
Also if we would have put 15.0 stable in the store the next one would come around saying it should have been 15.1
Others complained it should have been 14.2 which should be available
Considering how many have complained they could not get 14.x to work or posted in the forum with issues related to it, most likely due to permission issues, I think you guys did the right thing. Life is messy. Deal with it. In this case the best way to deal with it involved presenting a "beta" for wide consumption that most users and developers seem to agree is a better choice than the previous stable build. No version of 14.X would even boot on my android box, every version of Isengard I've tried has run fine, with minor exception of minimal bugs and each has provided improvements.

There are always a couple guys in the cheap seats that know how to run the team better than the owners, manager, team captain, etc. I secretly suspect most are frustrated bat/ball boys... ;-)
Read http://kodi.tv/kodi-available-on-google-...on-amazon/

"The version currently available on Google Play is Isengard 15.0 Beta2. We’ve decided to go with Isengard as the first release for Google Play, because it is dramatically more prepared for the feature set that modern Android devices like the Nexus Player and the NVIDIA Shield Android TV bring to the table, including support for 4K and HEVC, among other things.

The benefits of installing the Google Play version of Kodi are fairly simple. You always get the most recent stable release without needing to mess with finding, downloading, and sideloading apks. With that said, we will continue to publish apks on our site, so if you’d rather sideload, or if your Android device doesn’t have Google Play, we’ve still got you covered.
"
Isengard only for android 4.2, I guess im gona toss away my old android tablets
(2015-06-23, 12:35)whise Wrote: [ -> ]Isengard only for android 4.2, I guess im gona toss away my old android tablets

There are no hardware requirement changes between Android 4.0 and 4.2, so you could just update the tablets.
Ned already explained why they did it and its understandable, do I agree? it doesn't really matter, I'm just an user...

I just though it may have been a mistake as it is not a common practice to release a Beta labeled version like that.

Now back to watching Mad Max on Kodi! Thanks!