Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with apk file..PLEASE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am attempting to load Kodi on my new Fire TV. I have downloaded the Kodi 14.2 arm zip file from the official website. I unzipped it using 7-Zip and I cannot locate an apk file in the resulting folders when searching with explorer or in adbfire's "install apk" function. What am I doing wrongHuh I am usually fairly savvy with these things, but I am stumped. Thanks!
The download is an apk, not a zip.
Did you get it from the top of this page?
There's obviously something trending here, as this is the second thread on this subject today.

(click here for the other one).
Yes, I did. The file downloads as a .zip file. Do I need to rename it as an apk extension or something?
I just downloaded it to test, and I got an apk. So no idea what's going on there, sorry.
I renamed to downloaded .zip file as .apk. I am sending that to the fire tv via abdfire now. hope I don't brick this thing...
how long does it usually take? staus bar filled once and restarted...hmmm...concerned?
JUST went back to the kodi page and NOW it downloads as an apk file...WTH?!? I am in the middle of trying to install the zip file I renamed apk...we'll see..
File sizes are exactly the same, so maybe its the same file anyway.
Methinks there is something a l'il freaky with Android 4.4.2 and extensions because this has been going on for over a month now with people reporting problems with downloaded .apks appearing as .txt files and I happened to download a movie through an add-on on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet today and got a .pdf file which I handily renamed to .mp4, so, something a l'il bit fishy is going on unless in my case the source file was named with the wrong extension.
RolleyesI have downloaded past versions her before no problem and now it wants to show in a zip file.I tried to rename the zip and still doesn't recognize as apk file hmmmmm!Trying a different browser.
Well it works with Firefox.The new Internet explorer 11 must have something to do with it not recognizing the file.!For those of you having the same problem change your browser!Big Grin
http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_FAQ#Downlo..._.apk_file

IE is known to rename .apk's to .zip. APK is technically a zip file, but it needs to have the file extension of .apk for it to install.
When trying to upgrade to 14.2 from 14.1 I get error message: "An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

Can somebody please help.
(2015-06-20, 09:11)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_FAQ#Downlo..._.apk_file

IE is known to rename .apk's to .zip. APK is technically a zip file, but it needs to have the file extension of .apk for it to install.
Trust Ned to spoil all the fun ! Angel
I would just have blamed Amazon for trying to screw with all Kodi users, now that is the Trending topic of the week !
Pages: 1 2