Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No forced subtitles with Kingsman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just created a full disk backup of Kingsman with makemkv (this was a full backup to a folder, not an mkv file). Per the user guide, forced subtitles should appear regardless of the subtitle setting in Kodi. However, the forced subtitles are not showing. Is there another setting I'm missing somewhere? The guide did say this would only work if you set your default language in settings but I believe I've done that.
MakeMKV has a habit of not setting the forced subtitle flag correctly (if at all, in my experience). Open the file in the header editor of mkvmerge (available with the mkvtoolnix package), identify the sub track (assuming it has been ripped by MakeMKV), change to 'forced' and you should be good to go.

Sorry bit early and I should have read your post more thoroughly. Just noticed you ripped to a folder (didn't even know you could do that with MakeMKV) rather than mkv's, therefore solution might not be appropriate.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, it does back up to a folder but you have to do it before opening the disk in project mode. I was hoping that backing up to a folder would work around the flagging issue but looks like no. I would figure a full disk backup would include all the original flags and Kodi claims to respect the forced flag so I'm not sure where the problem lies.
Definitely seems to be a Kodi problem. I tried backing up to a folder using AnyDVDHD and playing that with Kodi and got the same result - no forced subtitles. I then played the movie from same backup folder using the latest PowerDVD demo and the forced subtitles appeared correctly.

Unfortunately PowerDVD is not a option for me due to Cinavia and Screen Pass protections but it was in interesting test.
My guess and it is purely that would be that whatever flags are required are not being set properly in MakeMKV, only on the basis that it doesn't set them correctly ripping to mkv.

Will try ripping to a folder later (will choose a disc with known 'forced subtitles) and see what happens.