Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't load videos to library from hard-drive via Minix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there guys. I'm hoping you can help me out.
I'm new to XBMC, so please be patient with me.
I'm running XBMC on a Minix Neo X8-H plugged directly into my TV.
The skin I'm currently using is Back Row, but I'd be happy to use something else if it'll help solve the problem.
I'm hoping to digitise my blu-ray and DVD collection so I can use XMBC as a movie library. The way I was expecting to do this was by using an external hard drive plugged into the Minix box via USB.
My problem is that when I try to add videos, via the browse to source feature, my hard drive doesn't appear. I can brouse to the hard drive and watch a movie, but I can't add any to the on-screen library.
I've been going round in circles with this for days, and there doesn't seem to be any info regarding this problem on-line. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and the fix is simple.
Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Rob.
First thing to try is an update to Kodi. Either from Minix or from Google Play. I think all of the Minix-tweaks are included in the upcoming Kodi v15, which is what you will get from Google Play, but if not then Minix will likely have a version on their website that has any special adjustments for video playback and all of that.

Granted, none of that should really matter for your specific issue, I think. It's just a good idea to update, as "XBMC" would imply v13.2, and a lot of Android (and general) improvements have been made in that time.

Since you say you can browse the files in Kodi, I'm going to assume the USB hard drive is already listed when you go to Videos -> Files (or however Back Row does it). If so, then you should be able to just use set content (wiki) on that entry without adding it as a source. If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll see what we can come up with :)
Hey there Ned.
Thanks for responding, it's much appreciated.

I've tried going from 'videos' to 'file' but I don't get a 'set content' option. The only options I get are 'download', 'sda1' and 'add videos...'

Just to throw another spanner in the works, I tried going back to the Confluence skin just too see if that might make things easier, but it crashed the Minix box. This happened several times so I'm currently e-mailing Minix support just in case I've really screwed something up. I'm also asking their advice about dumping XBMC and loading Kodi instead.

So not only am I back to square one, I'm at square zero. :o(
Hopefully I'll get the box sorted quickly so I can try this all over again.

Thanks a lot mate.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the hard drive is the only USB storage device plugged in, it is "sda1". Since it's already there, highlight it and press the menu button(three stacked horizontal lines) on your remote and select "set content".

If not, then select "add videos", go to rootfilesystem, choose mnt then find your source there and then name it and select the appropriate scraper. On my system, USB thumbs or hard drives appear as sda1, sda2, etc., automatically.

Good luck.
Hey there technisol,
Thanks for the response.

The menu button brings up a selection of icon buttons at the bottom of the screen but none of them is "set content"

My hard drive is visible, and named "sda1", but it doesn't appear after selecting the "add videos" option. Believe me, I've looked at every file there is.

The "sda1" appears in the same list as "add videos" but nowhere beyond that list. But thanks very much for suggesting things to try.

After contacting Minix support, the guy I talked to said my Minix has a, and I quote, "Much older firmware version." Which is a little annoying considering I only bought the thing last week. But anyway, I'm going to flash it with the latest version tonight, fingers crossed that'll fix all my problems. I'm also going to install the latest version of Kodi and start from scratch with everything.
Hopefully when I report back to you guys it'll be to say everything is working fine. If not, I may be found on a very high bridge. ;o)

Thanks a lot.
Try plugging in a keyboard and pressing the "c" key when you have sda1 selected. See if that gives you a different menu than what you've described.
Hey there Ned,

I'm afraid things have gone from bad to worse mate.
I tried updating the firmware on the Minix X8 last night and the thing crashed at 5%, a total of five times! When I eventually gave up and plugged it back into the TV I got a big fat nothing. The power light comes on but that's it. So that one's in the bin.
I've ordered another Minix, the Neo Z64 this time. It should be delivered next day. I just hope this one's not a duffer too. I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot mate.
Rob.
It's still recoverable, but if you want to buy a new box, I guess that works too..
Hey there Ned,

To be honest mate, with all the bother I've already had with the X8 I'm glad to see the back of it.
Hopefully starting completely fresh with a new Minix will get me moving forward so I can start building my digital library. I'm really impressed with the XBMC/Kodi skins and what you can do with them, I just want to get in there and start playing with it.
Cheers mate.
Hey there Ned,

I just wanted to let you know that I got the new Neo X64 today, and it seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for all your suggestions for the faulty Neo X8, it was very kind of you.

Now I just have to get the MQ5 skin running on it. Wish me luck ;o)

Thanks again.