Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi + NVIDIA Shield Passthrough/24p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I'm getting an NVIDIA Shield and wondering if it has full passthrough and 24p support?
So Passthrough:
Does it have all the normal Passthrough like DTS, DTS-MA, and the rest like if running full Kodi?

24p:
Does the Shield have full 24p/23.976 support?
Or will it skip frames?
No to 23.976 playback and no to passthrough of DTS-MA and Dolby True HD.

Limitation of the Shield not KODI.
limitation of Android AFAIK and not Shield in particular, but Android M should fix some of it
but i just wondering why, with Open Hour running on kitkat 4.4.2 able to output 23.976hz and hd sound passthrough.
Umm very curious.
Would a Intel NUC running OpenELEC be a much better solution?
Will a NUC 5i3 run 23.976hz?
(2015-06-29, 23:26)SavellM Wrote: [ -> ]Umm very curious.

better resolution or not i don't know but i can see a better color and picture comparing to the shield but no 4k@60p only 30p however i been hearing that VAPPI rewite will able 4k@60p with intel, and yes 23.976 working beautifully with intel.
And TrueHD/DTS-MA?

Lastly the NUC5i3RYH has 3 option in BIOS for Enhanced IR:
Generic Remote
RC6 Remote
or XBOX Remote

Which would be better with OpenELEC?
(2015-06-29, 11:12)SavellM Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,

I'm getting an NVIDIA Shield and wondering if it has full passthrough and 24p support?
So Passthrough:
Does it have all the normal Passthrough like DTS, DTS-MA, and the rest like if running full Kodi?

24p:
Does the Shield have full 24p/23.976 support?
Or will it skip frames?

No, it doesn't currently have 23.976 support, it's currently limited to 24fps which means you may see a duplicate frame every 40 +/- sec.

Nvidia has already stated thought that they are looking into adding 23.976 support, as well as adding HD audio support.

(2015-06-29, 23:12)tml2k2 Wrote: [ -> ]but i just wondering why, with Open Hour running on kitkat 4.4.2 able to output 23.976hz and hd sound passthrough.

Because it has been "hacked" in, it's not standard on Android.

(2015-06-29, 23:26)SavellM Wrote: [ -> ]Umm very curious.

Depends on what your needs are. If all you need is a standalone Kodi box, then currently something like a Chromebox or NUC running OE is your best bet.

But if you want something that can run Kodi, run Android apps and play games, then something like the Shield is a better solution. Plus, once Android M is released and the Shield gets that update there will be more standard video and audio support.