Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-10-06, 17:04)gandharva Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi freeze during runtime. Connected via ssh and killed kodi with "kill -SIGABRT PID".
This is the crashlog: http://pastebin.com/TsLEgULe

Sadly I still see Kodi freezing very often.

Can you confirm if #1005z is good/bad.
Can you try with overclock disabled.
Can you identify the first build that was unreliable?
I have that freezes since weeks. I think it started around the beginning of August. Disabled overclock now and also set "disable_auto_turbo=1" in config.txt as this helped a bit in the past. I really start to think that my Pi2 has some hardware issue.
Not sure if it helps or not... I have 2 RPi2 devices and have not had any playback stutter or freezing issues with the last few releases.

I mostly use my RPi2 devices to watch LiveTV. My backend is MythTV 0.27 using an HD Homerun Prime. My cable provider uses MPEG2 for broadcasts (most of whoch are 1080i60) and I have an MPEG2 license on both RPi2 devices. I'm using the advanced deinterlacing option, but other than the slight automatic gpu overclock during playback of interlaced content that does, I am not overclocking my devices.

I've actually noticed that sometime recently things have gotten better when I skip forward too much and start skipping backward. In mid-September, this would result in the video just freezing while the sound continued. In some cases, I could not stop it and get back to the menu and had to reboot using ssh. When it would stop, I was able to start watching again from the beginning. Now it does freeze periodically when skipping forward and then backward, but only for maybe 10 seconds and then it recovers and continues.

Wonderful work by all involved at making such an inexpensive experimenter's device work great with Kodi.
(2015-10-06, 15:28)cobric Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 15:16)querty1000 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you also disabled the omxplayer and use the videoplayer instead?

No, I use omxplayer. Didn't know that playing full frame MVC 3d content is even possible with videoplayer. I'll try tonight.

What are the benefits/limitations of omxplayer and videoplayer? Is there a recommended player to use?
(2015-10-06, 19:28)Jdiesel Wrote: [ -> ]What are the benefits/limitations of omxplayer and videoplayer? Is there a recommended player to use?

Out of the box it is omxplayer on pi1 and videoplayer on pi2, and that is the recommendation for most.

omxplayer uses less cpu (more code is offloaded to GPU) but has some missing features (e.g. alsa audio, ac3 transcoding, software codec support).
(2015-10-06, 14:47)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Can you confirm if #1005z is good/bad.

Build 1005.
Powered On, cycled once through the list of TV Shows then immediately Froze upon going back to the top of the list.
Pulled Power
Disconnected Any USB Devices (to rule them out)
Restarted & Left Idle for 2 minutes.
Froze whilst idling.

[Details of my build]
Raspberry Pi 2 - port details
Power Via MicroUSB (5v2A)
HDMI > Pioneer VSX922 (AVR) > Samsung 43" LED
Ethernet > Cat5e (Static IP) > 1GB Switch
USB > Powered USB HUB > Arduino Uno (used for hyperion ambilight) also tested without having usb connected & still freezes

Will test 1005z now

[EDIT]
Looks like 1005z is playing along nicely
no immediate issues. I'll keep trying a bit to make sure though

1 Hour later with multiple reboots, not a single freeze.
All looking well with 1005z
Have you also disabled the omxplayer and use the videoplayer instead?
[/quote]

Do you mean by un-checking the acceleration for OMX player? Or is there another way to completely disable it?
(2015-10-06, 19:54)scotty144 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean by un-checking the acceleration for OMX player? Or is there another way to completely disable it?

Unchecking the OMXPlayer option in video/acceleration settings is all that is needed to disable it.
(2015-10-06, 19:56)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 19:54)scotty144 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean by un-checking the acceleration for OMX player? Or is there another way to completely disable it?

Unchecking the OMXPlayer option in video/acceleration settings is all that is needed to disable it.

OK, I've never had mine checked during the testing.
(2015-10-06, 19:31)bagofcrap24 Wrote: [ -> ]1 Hour later with multiple reboots, not a single freeze.

Thanks. There should be a 4.1.9 kernel as tonight's extra build which should narrow it down a bit further.
(2015-10-06, 20:53)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 19:31)bagofcrap24 Wrote: [ -> ]1 Hour later with multiple reboots, not a single freeze.

Thanks. There should be a 4.1.9 kernel as tonight's extra build which should narrow it down a bit further.
Thanks for your time looking into this.
Not really sure what is unique with my build thats causing this to show for me but not for you guys.
I'll test as much as I can.
I tried with both videoplayer and omxplayer and same thing, playing 3d blueray iso's is crashing Kodi. I'll try next builds, hopefully Millhouse or popcornmix is going to figure it out. I'm here guys if there is anything I can help you with.
(2015-10-06, 21:25)bagofcrap24 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your time looking into this.
Not really sure what is unique with my build thats causing this to show for me but not for you guys.
I'll test as much as I can.

I have had one unexplained crash which was on 4.1.10 kernel, but it didn't reoccur that day.
You seem to be crashing much more reliably which is useful for tracking it down.
Fortunately 4.1.8, 4.1.9 and 4.1.10 all came along in close succession so hopefully not too many commits to dig through once we've worked out if 4.1.9 or 4.1.10 introduced it.
(2015-10-06, 02:20)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the #1005z build with 4.1.8 kernel
If you experience hard freezes/lockups with #1005, please test #1005z and report if there is any improvement (or not).
Switching from #0926 to #1005 gave me issues with playing TV show episodes that played fine in #0926. They had massive stuttering/jumping issues in video/audio playback and freezing with "buffering 100%" messages in #1005. #1005z resolved it.

I'm on a RPi2 nowadays with RPi2 over-clock setting. Only got MMAL acceleration enabled and not using audio pass-through.

I can provide a log in 12 hours if nobody beats me to it.
(2015-10-07, 00:36)Forage Wrote: [ -> ]I can provide a log in 12 hours if nobody beats me to it.

No need for logs if #1005z fixed your problem.
If you still have problems then logs or sample files are useful.