Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I turn off all text auto-scrolling?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am having serious problems with high CPU usage and thermal shutdowns on a machine when the screen currently has auto-scrolling text. Only in such screens. I can play videos all day long and not have any problem. I can be on any screen without auto-scrolling text and no problem. This feature is clearly not worth its benefit and is just eye candy for me. Have never felt it useful in my usage.

I have tried to find any setting that may turn this off but it occurs in so many places that there does not seem to be any one setting to do so. Have turned off RSS feed which was a big one. It is all those pesky long titles in lists that start autoscrolling for current selection that I cannot seem to turn off.

Are there any undocumented settings to turn this off? This is driving me nuts.

Because it is so resource-hungry, it would be nice if the core platform would have a setting to disable all occurrences of scrolling text without having to depend on any skin settings. Happy to file a feature request if necessary.

Thanks.
It's in any skin settings....for confluence:

system settings -> appearance -> skin -> settings -> general -> enable auto scrolling for plot and review

Once disabled you can change the skin and it should be disabled for the other skin as well.
Thanks David. I had turned that off.

Problem is there are a number of other places not affected by this setting where the text auto-scrolls ticker tape fashion if the string is too long to fit and that item has the focus. For example, all the lists do so.

It has created the following scenario more than once:

Watching a video. Phone rings. Stop the video to attend to phone call. Kodi goes back to the list with the focus on the last played video. If the title is too long it starts to auto-scroll. Starts to use up CPU and starts heating up until there is thermal shutdown.

Yes, the device can be better cooled I suppose but this is the only thing creating a thermal problem and solving cooling problems in a LFF chassis is not trivial.

Such resource hungry UI effects should be allowed to be switched off.

Alternative implementations are that it scrolls once to end and stops. I don't see the value really in a continuous looping auto-scroll.

Must be the pet code of someone very influential in Kodi team to have such a resource hog foisted on everybody. Ok, just kidding around. :-)
Try my fTV skin as there shouldn't be any scrolling labels in it.

fTV Skin