Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DXVA2 + Windows 7/8 + Haswell Intel GPUs = does not work [SOLVED]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So I recently acquired a couple of Haswell NUCs, an i3 and an i5, and neither works correctly with DXVA2 enabled in KODI.

What I'm getting is smooth, flawless playback, but in dark scenes or shadowed scenes there's some... "smearing" going on. It's pixel swimming/ghosting. It reminds me of old LCDs that couldn't keep up with movement.

If I turn off DXVA2 hardware acceleration, the problem is gone.

The test sequence I use is Oblivion Blu-ray which I remuxed:

Start the Oblivion Blu-ray MKV (assuming you MKV’ed it).

At 22:18 Cruise opens a book.

At 22:23 for about 4 or 5 seconds Cruise looks quizzically at the book. - Now during that moment where you see his face, with hardware acceleration on in KODI his whole face looks like it’s “swimming.” You’ll know it when you see it. Now when you turn off hardware acceleration and resume the movie at that spot - problem solved.

Again, these are two separate systems, fresh installed with latest graphics drivers from Intel, and nothing else installed.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

I've tried both 14.x and 15.x KODI. I can't say KODI is the issue, but it's simply not working as it should be. Sad
could you try
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218274
also make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers installed
I have the latest/greatest drivers installed. I ran that new build, and it has the same issue. Sad Also, I called a friend of mine who also picked up an i3 Haswell Intel NUC, and he has the exact same issue as me.

It happens in KODI, Plex, and MPC-HC, so it's not exclusively a KODI problem. I'm amazed I can't find anyone else with this problem! Crazy...
if could be an issue with the latest drivers so perhaps try some older versions to check if this could be the case.
I reverted to an older GPU driver from 6 months ago and the issue remains.

I also have a Dell laptop with the same i3 processor as the NUC (and it's on Windows 8), and the issue is there, too, and that system hasn't been updated in over a year.

It's this laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Conv...e+i3-4010U

I'm not sure what's more frustrating: That numerous systems on different OSs have the same issue, or that nobody else has noticed? You'd have to be nigh blind to not notice, so I'm hoping that I'm missing something (and my friend, too).
Can you supply screenshots of it? I have a intel nuc d34010wykh it seems to play flawless full rip mkv files fine in kodi with no issues that ive noticed or maybe im blind lol
(2015-07-03, 21:36)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]I reverted to an older GPU driver from 6 months ago and the issue remains.

I also have a Dell laptop with the same i3 processor as the NUC (and it's on Windows 8), and the issue is there, too, and that system hasn't been updated in over a year.

It's this laptop:

I'm not sure what's more frustrating: That numerous systems on different OSs have the same issue, or that nobody else has noticed? You'd have to be nigh blind to not notice, so I'm hoping that I'm missing something (and my friend, too).

Since it's with multiple apps it's likely a driver issue but in case Intel changed something and all those apps listed including us are not doing something right, then please run the DX11 build (as that's the future) and post a debug_log (wiki) issues description to the DX11 thread Martijn linked to, and if you can any screenshots* or videos to show it happening.

* Kodi has built in screen grabbing for screenshots, select folder they go to in Settings - System - Debugging and default keymap is PrtScn or Ctrl+s
Given that DXVA is more beneficial to anyone running dedicated graphics, I would suggest turning it off and see how you go.

As far as I am aware, the only real benefit obtained from DXVA and integrated graphics is less CPU utilisation when enabled. If you are only running Kodi and nothing else from your NUC, the little i3 will chug away quite happily with what will be an insignificant additional amount of work to do and even less for the i5.
(2015-07-04, 10:26)freddy12 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you supply screenshots of it? I have a intel nuc d34010wykh it seems to play flawless full rip mkv files fine in kodi with no issues that ive noticed or maybe im blind lol

Yep, the D34010YKH is the mode I have, and the i5 version, too.

(2015-07-04, 12:22)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-03, 21:36)WilliamG Wrote: [ -> ]I reverted to an older GPU driver from 6 months ago and the issue remains.

It's this laptop:

Since it's with multiple apps it's likely a driver issue but in case Intel changed something and all those apps listed including us are not doing something right, then please run the DX11 build (as that's the future) and post a debug_log (wiki) issues description to the DX11 thread Martijn linked to, and if you can any screenshots* or videos to show it happening.

* Kodi has built in screen grabbing for screenshots, select folder they go to in Settings - System - Debugging and default keymap is PrtScn or Ctrl+s

Thank you, I'll get to it before long.

(2015-07-04, 14:49)levi.baker88 Wrote: [ -> ]Given that DXVA is more beneficial to anyone running dedicated graphics, I would suggest turning it off and see how you go.

As far as I am aware, the only real benefit obtained from DXVA and integrated graphics is less CPU utilisation when enabled. If you are only running Kodi and nothing else from your NUC, the little i3 will chug away quite happily with what will be an insignificant additional amount of work to do and even less for the i5.

In Oblivion Blu-ray remux, for example, I've seen spikes to 65% CPU usage (and it's pretty much always 40-50% CPU usage constantly). That's REALLY a lot compared to the 5-20% usage with hardware acceleration on. And when newer 4K format comes out, not being able to use hardware acceleration will be an issue, which is why I think it's pretty important that this be brought to *someone's* attention.
I thought H.265 will be less taxing? (haven't done too much research into it). If you are running Windows, The upgrade to 10 and DX12 might help a little.

I personally wouldn't stress out too much about 40-50% usage and spikes that high, they are only little CPUs. There could very well be something astray in DXVA within Kodi.
(2015-07-05, 14:11)levi.baker88 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought H.265 will be less taxing? (haven't done too much research into it). If you are running Windows, The upgrade to 10 and DX12 might help a little.

I personally wouldn't stress out too much about 40-50% usage and spikes that high, they are only little CPUs. There could very well be something astray in DXVA within Kodi.

It's not just Kodi, though. Same issue in MPC-HC and Plex.

I'm seriously flabergasted others aren't noticing this issue. I've even provided a movie and time-stamp for someone to verify!
I've seen the issue also. I'm currently running Kodi (15 RC1) on a i3 4025U w/ Intel HD 4400 graphics, latest drivers (as far as Windows 8.1 is concerned). I have noticed this "swimming around" of facial features on many vids (maybe other parts as well, but faces tend to get our focus), both Blu Ray remuxes and web-dl's.

I have a Oblivion BD remux also, and can confirm the effect at the times you mention.
(2015-07-05, 22:24)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen the issue also. I'm currently running Kodi (15 RC1) on a i3 4025U w/ Intel HD 4400 graphics, latest drivers (as far as Windows 8.1 is concerned). I have noticed this "swimming around" of facial features on many vids (maybe other parts as well, but faces tend to get our focus), both Blu Ray remuxes and web-dl's.

I have a Oblivion BD remux also, and can confirm the effect at the times you mention.

Thank you!

OK, so at least I have some backup on this. The question is - how do we get this fixed? Sad
I'm going to put VLC on my HTPC and enable hardware acceleration to see if it replicates. Be back soon.
(2015-07-05, 22:37)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to put VLC on my HTPC and enable hardware acceleration to see if it replicates. Be back soon.

Thank you. Keep me/us posted! I'm really hoping the more attention brought to this the faster it can be addressed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4