Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 3D Playback - Simple
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I am wondering if there is a SIMPLE explanation on how to create playable 3D files for playback in Kodi.

I am new to Kodi and previously have only used Windows MCE, which for regular file watching was fine, but for 3D........fugeddaboudit. What I need to know is what types of 3D content can Kodi play when ripped to a file share. What format.....MKV, etc? This "SBS" and similar terms are non-sensical to me. I prefer not to be stuck with a command line interface of some sort to make this happen. I own AnyDVD-HD, CloneBD, MakeMKV and I have considered other options, which I would be happy to buy if they would help me find an easy solution.

I got Kodi installed and working for basic playback easily. Works great! However, I would like to know how to play 3D movies. I have been here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/3D

It isn't written in English. If I can establish that, what process/programs do I need to create said files? I have searched the forums and even Googled this and have gotten various bits and pieces, but nothing comprehensive that is less than a couple years old, then it is still written in gibberish. I have searched the Kodi forums as well, but I can't just search for "3D or "3-D" because the terms are too short. I also searched for "3-d playback". No luck. I found the above link in the Wiki, but it still doesn't tell me much useful for a novice.

I am hoping that there is a forum, post, link or tutorial.....somewhere....that can tell me this in plain English.

Thanks in advance!
Kodi mainly just supports side-by-side or top-and-bottom 3D, which means the video is actually a single video track with both left and right visible at the same time. You can use pretty much any format, as Kodi just cuts the video in half, either left and right or top and bottom. Because of this, format doesn't really matter. You could make it an old DIVX .avi if you wanted. MKV and H.264 is a better choice, though ;)

You just need a ripper that supports 3D, but I'm not sure if there are any free rippers that do that. The main one I hear people talk about seems to be from DVDfab.
Thank you Brazen, I will review that thread!

Ned Scott, I have heard the term "side by side" in this context, but don't understand what it means compared to what is actually on a 3D disk. What I was thinking is that I could create a single file (perhaps MKV) that was self-contained and contained all the stuff necessary to watch 3D movies....IN 3D via a player like Kodi. The most promising was a link I had found in my travels saying it could be done via MakeMKV, by manually selecting one of the subfolders on the disk in MakeMKV when you are choosing what streams to include int he MKV file. Unfortunately, I can't recall the folder name, but I could find it again if necessary.

I do own CloneBD, but last I knew it doesn't support 3D.....they are "working on it". I wouldn't have a problem buying any program that makes my life easier if it's reasonably priced.

I don't know if Plex or another HTPC software has more capability. I am still experimenting with HTPC packages.

I just thought of this while typing: Can Kodi even play an ISO file? For example, can I have a share with a 3D ISO of an entire movie and point Kodi to that share and have it mount, then play it in 3D? Will it recognize and manage an ISO like it does for an MP4 or MKV file? Currently what I do for 3D movies that I have ripped is to leave the intact ISO on a HDD, mount it manually with VirtualCloneDrive for example, then play it in Cyberlink PowerDVD. I have mixed results because the laptop I use for that purpose, hooked up to my main TV is fairly old, but I presume if I had better hardware all would work.

I have a couple issues with this setup though: the obvious one is that you still have to deal with all the menus and other garbage I don't want to deal with. The other is simply physical space. Being able to suck a 3D MKV off of a disk (maybe with some level of compression) would be a boon for HTPC enthusiasts like myself because I could store more of my movies and have less hassle.

Am I even thinking of this correctly?

Thanks!
Kodi can play ISOs, but Kodi cannot play 3D ISOs, except for on the Raspberry Pi (because of some kind of magic trick they did, I'm not sure on the details).

So if you want to use Kodi to playback your 3D movies you need to find a ripper that will rip to SBS or TAB. Nothing else really matters at that point, as it is the ripper that handles the physical bluray and turns it into a video file that Kodi can read, which means SBS or TAB.
Thank you Ned. Is it relevant to ask if any other software players can also play these SBS type files or basically, does every software player have it's own, unique requirements in this regard? Do you know?

Is the format of the played file independent of the TV and such? In other words, does the ripped format of the disks themselves matter to the TV or other hardware? I presume it won't change my 3D glasses etc?

The Raspberry Pi thing is actually interesting. Last I heard you could get an image for those things that had Kodi preinstalled.....basically plug and play! To be clear though, you are saying that Kodi can natively handle ISO files as long as they are not 3D? Would it simply play back the 3D ISO's as 2D instead as if you put the disk into a 2D BR player?

This is an interesting topic, thanks!
I'm not sure on the full details, as I don't have a 3D TV myself, but from what I know the 3D TV (at least, all of the current generation ones from the last 5 or so years) won't care what format the video is in.

brazen1's link talks about various other players that do play additional 3D formats, and how to make Kodi launch those players if you still want to use Kodi to organize the files.

The Pi thing is really surprising to me. I only found out about it a little while ago. It's still a little experimental, so Pi users will need to use a build such as this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231092
SBS and OU 3d files files will play in any media player including kodi. They are just like normal video files (usually in mkv format). You need to manually select the 3D mode as SBS or OU in your TV or projector. Some TVs will automatically detect the played video as sbs or ou 3d and will switch to 3d mode automatically.
Thanks for all the feedback! I honestly still have not looked at Brazen's original thread, but each new comment makes me want to ask more questions!

Does anyone know what I am referring to with my reference to ripping a 3D-BR disk in MakeMKV and selecting the main title and the subfolder that contains the 3D data? I think it was the MVC folder maybe? If so, what format does that make? Is it more "native" than the SBS or OU types of 3D? Will it result in a smaller file size but the same quality? The SBS/OU options sound to me like effectively two separate movies each with a slightly different perspective, making the file size doubled. Am I understanding that wrong?

Thanks!
Let me try to help you have more understanding. You asked for a simple explanation to create a file to playback 3D in Kodi.

You have a physical disc in your hand. Kodi can't play it. It isn't supported yet. I've heard claims a Raspberry Pi can. Years ago I tried exactly that. The RPI played stripped down, compressed files fine. However, it did not have the bandwidth to render 1:1 file rips in the 50GB range. The Ethernet port on those things is only 10/100 and not the 1GB needed so playback buffered constantly using large 2D rips. You can only imagine what 3D would do or WiFi. Last I researched, the new models still only have 10/100.

You have 2 choices afaik. Rip your 3D disc into a file so Kodi can play it using a format and container it's compatible with or let Kodi hand off the file to an external player that will play the disc or file natively.

If you go with option 1, you will be stripping the Blu-ray disc and placing it in a container using software. I suggest DvdFab for it's quality and ease of use. You will have 2 format choices. Side by Side or Top and Bottom. Mkv is a popular container. You also have the option to compress and degrade the quality of your movie trading that quality for a smaller file size and speed of ripping. You may want to wait until h.265 becomes the industry standard if file size is important to you but with the price of storage reasonable......... Understand you will also be losing all the extra stuff a Blu-ray disc comes with and you will only be ripping the main movie and your choices of audio and subs. However, you can create extra files of that extra stuff if you don't mind ripping the disc over and over. There will be no menu either.

If you go with option 2, you don't have to mess with the disc or file at all. There is no ripping software to obtain, no degraded format choice to deal with, no quality loss, no content loss, no downtime, etc. You can enjoy your full Blu-ray the way it was intended and not settle for altered versions of it just so you can watch it. You will need to obtain a 3rd party software player though. I suggest PowerDVD.

Furthermore, an external player allows your panel to render 3D in full frame sequential mode. It requires no user input to choose a mode like SBS and TAB do.

The bottom line to your question is, there is no simple explanation. You do have a couple somewhat complicated choices though. You can deal with ripping and modifying every time you add a new title to your collection or I suggest an external player for obvious reasons. Once it's setup, you don't ever have to do anything else except watch your movie. I do suggest you convert your disc to file format. You don't have to place it a container. Just the files in a folder and your done digitally storing a back up of your physical disc for quick access playback in full quality and content. One day when Kodi can playback native 3D, there is going to be a bunch of unhappy users who hacked their full blu-rays wishing they didn't when that day comes.

Once again,
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229692 Pictures coming soon.
(EDIT) Pictures in my guide have been added. Enjoy!