Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows 8.1 SMB help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have all my movies on a WD MyCloud hooked up to my router. Every device in my house is hardwired with Cat6 cables and gigabit switches. The problem isn't the Internet connection at all though, just Kodi seeing my SMB workgroup.

I have 3 other devices running Kodi, 1 Amazon FireTV, 1 Amazon FireTV stick and Chromebox and all connected to the SMB flawlessly.

On the Windows 8.1 computer I can not access the WD through Windows file explorer but I can access it through the WD program with no problems. That's why I am not sure if this is a Windows problem or Kodi but since I am able to access the NAS with the WD program and can see it under network devices I think it's a Kodi problem?!?!

Anyone else have this problem and know what I should do?
That you can't access via windows explorer says it's not a problem with kodi.
Have you set up mapped network drives on the pc?
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta...windows-pc
Certainly sounds like you have made the drive known to Windows after reading that how to.
Simple tip....

If the SHARE is called "movies" and the IP Address of yoru WD box on the LAN is 192.168.1.22 then try this

Hit WINKEY+R to open the RUN prompt
Type \\192.168.1.22\MOVIES\ and hit Enter
You should now see the shared folder open.

If nothing happens... we start to look deeper.

For example, on the SMB share is it set to share to "everyone"?
And are the files in the shared folder set to be readable by everyone?

This is all certainly SMB related. The fact that WD's own tool can accesses just tells you it is power up and cabled to the network.