Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: hdd movies from pc & view them on my phone using kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
don't know if i'm in the right place for this question.
but can i connect an hdd with movies onto my pc and then watch them in kodi on my phone Huh
thank you ranger
(2015-07-08, 05:58)ranger77dvb Wrote: [ -> ]don't know if i'm in the right place for this question.
but can i connect an hdd with movies onto my pc and then watch them in kodi on my phone Huh
thank you ranger
Tbh you don't really want to be using Kodi for using on your phone.
On your PC install plex media server and create a free account and share your hdd.
Then on your phone install the plex app sign in with your account and as long as its turned on synced with your PC you can play it on your phone.
Just realised its not a PC your talking about lol
You should be able to share the HDD on the PC, and then add that share as a source under Kodi to view the HDD content.

How you share will depend somewhat on which OS (and which version of it) is on the PC, but it's just SMB (or maybe NFS) sharing in the same way you can make the HDD visible to another PC on your network (which is essentially all your kodi phone is in the end).

If you can let us know what OS and version you have on the PC it would help be a bit more specific.
thank you for the help. win 7 ultimate
Under Windows Explorer with the drive connected, right-click on it and select "Share with..." then advanced sharing. From there you should be able to share the drive, which you can then access from Kodi as an SMB source as long as the phone is connected to the same local network as the computer is (and the router is set to allow devices on its network to talk to one another).