Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: kodi on a mx3 tv box to use on old tv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have kodi on a mx3 tv box. I have a old tv with rca plugs.I have a converter for hdmi to rca. It works except for kodi.
When I start the kodi app it starts then just turns off. The power light on the box stays on but nothing responds. Are there settings in the box to make kodi work?
Obviously, if everything works as desired on a proper HDMI display, it's the converter, but it sounds like you're only trying it on the set with composite inputs...

If you can do anything else on the box and still see the image, but after starting KODI it goes to a blank screen you probably have a permissions problem between the firmware on your box and the version of KODI you have installed. If you then press the home button on the IR remote does it go back to the Android launcher?

You may need to try a different version of KODI like Isengard that doesn't check for permissions, or root/install superuser if not already installed and set up permissions for KODI, or update your box with the latest firmware which provides the permissions needed to make it work. You're much better off with the correct firmware that provides the permissions KODI requires.

I'd start with the seller or the manufacturer and see what info can be found from their specific forums, search this forum & the net, or head to places like Freaktab and see if they have a better firmware for your box. Good luck!
Ok, in the first line of your reply, you mention a proper HDMI display. Would that be a hd tv with HDMI input? If so then kodi works on the box. My son tried it on his hd tv.I'll try every thing you mentioned. Otherwise I bet I'll have to break down and get a new tv. Thanks for the help.
Don't bother to try anything but an HDTV if it works connected to an HDTV -provided you have the android box set for an output the converter can deal with as an input. You might try various HDMI output settings in the setup of the android box and see if you have better results. You might even try the box on the new set before you buy as some people report problems occasionally with some brands. HDMI, like any other standard, is not perfectly adhered to apparently.
I have the identical problem. However, I was able to get the Android box set to the composite out (480i), no HDMI converter needed.

So it's all good, except when I run Kodi it shows the startup screen, then *disables* the composite out of the box. I know this because the TV goes from something-black to nothing-black, and then shows to be on the AV input which it does when there is no signal.

I tried to find the Kodi config files (like XBMC has had on every other platform) but could not find anything at all in the File Browser.

Sad

(I do not have an HDTV I can use, but I am going to order a HDMI-VGA converter to see if there are any Kodi settings to fix this glitch.)