Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot set recording timer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I try to set a timer (tried on two PC different settings) I always get the message:

An unexpected error occured. Try again later or check the log for more information.

So... what could be the problem and where to look for the log?

Thanks.
Hi brubri,

I've only had my Vbox for about a week (so not expert) and was getting the same message. I found that rescanning the channels (V@Box TV Gateway/Manage/Streaming/Add Channels) solved the problem. It happen to me a number of times initially but seems to have stopped.

Hope that helps?
thanks but I think I wait a bit to see if there is another way... as I only added few selected channels I do watch and not the whole enchilada.

And one got to be patient as after all Kodi 15 is RC1 not release and this is the first time that it included this add-on which is probably also still being worked on...

Before there was not a way to record from Vbox-Kodi or so I was told from Vbox support as 14 did not have the add-on.

I had the Vbox since March 2015 and quite happy with it but so far used another PVR add-on to watch it with Kodi. And just got few hours ago Kodi 15 so still trying it out.
...actually the rescan might have been a red herring as I recall having to reboot as well. I remember why I got the same message as you and I've just recreated it. I was testing how many timed programmes recordings I could do at the same time because it's a feature of the equipment. When the recording started all at the same time I got the error message. I contacted support. See extract from support response below.:

As to the recording clashes – The VBox TV Gateway can record or stream more than 2 channels at the same time. We could limit to only 1 channel per tuner but this will limit the device full capabilities.

Each tuner locks to a MUX (frequency) which holds many channels, you can record / stream all the channels up to a total of 40Mb/s or the performance of your recording device

For example.

· You have a dual tuner TV Gateway connected to Freeview with 2 MUXs

· Each MUX holds 10 channels

· Each channel is 4Mb/s

· In total you have 20 channels and 80Mb/s

· You will be able to stream about 10 channels

There are other factors to consider such as your network router ability to stream so many channels and recording device performance

I've just managed to record 4 channels simultaneously (not timed I just pressed record), BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC News and CBBC but on trying to record more channels I go the "...unexpected error...." message. As far as I could tell the Vbox lost the ability to see the USB storage. It couldn't see any older recording etc and the "external storage current information" status went from "active" to something like "not available". Rebooting found the storage again, the first 4 recordings were fine up to the point of the error message but any of the 5th , 6th etc attempt to record channels are just entries in the recording log and have no duration. I just deleted them.

I went through the same process again, same error and reboot fixes problem.

I think the fact that there is not intelligence in the recording function, to prevent hitting the maximum number of simultaneous records, means the equipment somehow crashes.

Try to see if you can recreate the problem as I have.

I'm learning about MUX's following the reply from support. That's why I chose BBC 1, BBC 2, etc because I think from memory they are all on the same MUX. The 5th and 6th channels I tried to record were probably on different MUX's and so I was probably doing something outside the Vbox's capability and it crashed.
LOL I would be happy to be able to set ONE timer. As I get the error after configuring one timer when I hit the save button so I think the problem is another and this was after the reboot of the vBox to cure the problem that the recording location got "stuck" and would not save manual recording to the new location I set.

So I can record manually hitting the record button while a channel is playing but cannot set then save a timer.

And what they call MUX we call Bouquets and yes one frequency can hold many channels. If you are streaming a giving frequency already you can watch other channels on that Frequency, MUX whatever but not channels that are outside that Frequency or watch one channel and record another in the same Frequency. The vBox can stream two separate Frequencies or Mux so you can watch on two TV channels that are on two different Frequencies at the same time etc... but I digress.

So what setup are are you using also Kodi 15 with the vBox PVR add-on? If not you may not recreate my problem. And are you able to set and save timers?
In the mean time I figured out the log file. How to activate it and then reproduced the error and sent the log file to the vBox support.
on suggestion from support I updated the vBox software to 2.48 but unfortunately did not help :/
Can you describe the steps you've used to add the timer? Obviously you're using the "add timer" dialog? What options do you change there before clicking OK?