Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone been playing with the new builds?
i'm abroad so i can't test...but i'm too curious..did anyone noticed that V17 version (with new Fernetmenta videoplayer) now is called Oe6 based (old but safely)

any surprise near angle ? Big Grin
(2016-01-08, 19:13)Roby77 Wrote: [ -> ]i'm abroad so i can't test...but i'm too curious..did anyone noticed that V17 version (with new Fernetmenta videoplayer) now is called Oe6 based (old but safely)

any surprise near angle ? Big Grin

no, the older builds are just based on the OE-6 branch/tag; these new ones are using OE master (which will likely become 7.0) just like Milhouse's builds. Has nothing to do with the Kodi version on which they are based (v16/v17)
Quote:http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/...Readme.txt

I rebased on OpenELEC's master (Version 7.0) after all the conman pain and so on has slowly settled. I leave out pulseaudio of my builds as it causes much pain in current realization. If you want bluetooth audio -> use a Milhouse build.

Source Code: https://github.com/fritsch/OpenELEC.tv/tree/krypton-egl

"In fact some users jumped between Milhouse and the other builds - and the bumpery in the underlaying OE caused conman to not correctly work after switch back and forth ... so I rebased ..."

Fritsch ghost is taking to us Shocked
Yes, and I'm wondering what fritsch's ghost is going to do with that lonely jarvis-egl branch now... Wink
(2016-01-08, 21:47)M4tt0 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, and I'm wondering what fritsch's ghost is going to do with that lonely jarvis-egl branch now... Wink

Nothing - it is just kept, in case I might have broken something while rebasing, to git diff my stuff between the branches. This build was never based on Jarvis anyways as we directly jumped onto master after 15.2 with backports was released. It's called v17 Krypton based at least since master was branched off.
Thanks for your response!

OK, Isengard-EGL --> Krypton it is, then. NOOOOOO going back to the pre-EGL world... Wink
thank you again for your work fritsch!
I apologize in advance if this is too off topic, but is anyone aware of a good guide similar to this one for setting up a dedicated window manager free ubuntu kodi install, but using Nvidia closed source drivers and VDPAU, instead of Intel?

I think I can mostly get there from what I have learned from this thread, but skipping the fermenteta ppa, and just manually installing nvidia-352, libvdpau1 and vdpau-va-driver so I get VDPAU.

As far as the tweaks and recommended settings go, this thread and fritsch's brilliant work have been invaluable.

So has anyone done this type of writeup?
You will not need the vdpau-va-driver driver - as this is only a vdpau to vaapi wrapper driver. You also won't need the xrandr setting for running in full range, for nvidia full range is forced via xorg.conf. Also you can skip vainfo and the vaapi driver / ppa installation. The rest should work as is.
This is really bad news...

Thanks for your work on the whole project fritsch!

Sry for getting off-topic - but what hardware would you guys recommend when switching from amd to intel?
(2016-01-11, 14:29)sw4y Wrote: [ -> ]Sry for getting off-topic - but what hardware would you guys recommend when switching from amd to intel?

The Beebox is a good candidate for fritsch's releases.
(2016-01-11, 14:29)sw4y Wrote: [ -> ]Sry for getting off-topic - but what hardware would you guys recommend when switching from amd to intel?

Depends what you want to achieve. If 4k@60 8-bit on 1080 display is fine for your, then Braswell or Skylake.
If you need 10-bit and maybe 4k support without downscaling to 1080, then should wait for Broxton. However, the information we have atm is that Broxton will support full hw 10-bit, but not sure about the hdmi version (will it be 4k or scaled down).

Depends what is important to you :

De-interlacing?
HEVC 8-bit?
HEVC 10-bit?
No HEVC?
UHD?
HDMI 2.0?

Cost?
Power consumption / noise?
Power for other stuff (does it need to run a TV Backend, transcode between formats, act as a server for other devices etc.) or is it just pure Kodi?

Suspect this is probably a bit off-topic for this thread to be honest...
(2016-01-11, 09:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]You will not need the vdpau-va-driver driver - as this is only a vdpau to vaapi wrapper driver. You also won't need the xrandr setting for running in full range, for nvidia full range is forced via xorg.conf. Also you can skip vainfo and the vaapi driver / ppa installation. The rest should work as is.

Much obliged fritsch. You are the best.