Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@fritsch: i think i don't have the 25fps speed issue due older kodi v17 from your repo. i will continue testing when LE is branched and master is switched to a more recent v17. otherwise i would have edid issue (therefore no hd audio after boot with enabled tv/avr) with my hw and reencoded ac3 in live tv.

but regarding the skipping issue i have already posted logs some days ago and there was no solution and the assumption when i am using vaapi (deint/resize) it will leads to to skipping because of too slow n3150 cpu/gpu. Maybe also my video output 1080i could lead to the skipping. but wait, when i switched to 720p50 i have the very same skipping also. i am hoping the rework of the renderer will remove my skipping. i will report then.
I just upgraded to 16.04 via
Code:
sudo do-release-upgrade -d

after it is run through succesfully readd the ppas and now the crucial part:

Install the legacy xserver package and configure it to allow anybody to start the xserver

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-legacy
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-legacy

Now edit: /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
and append the line:
Code:
needs_root_rights=yes

After you updated / readded the ppas (Only the kodi ppa is needed _not_ the vaapi ppa):
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

done
HI fritsch,

I am new to this kodi stuff and confused with all the different builds and version. I tried the official latest build but some of the scenes i am getting like oil painted especially on skin tones, it seems like i am not using the right build.

I have a two nuc's nuc6isyh and nuc5cpyh, Can you please advice me which builds and versions are best for those nuc's.

Thanks
No idea what latest is. Check the sticky Milhouse thread - those have all the code.
Hello,

About two months ago I set up an N3700 (Asrock SoC board) kodi system. Installed Ubuntu 15.10 Server and Kodi as per your instructions. Everything worked well. However, recently, I noticed that files with AAC 2 channel audio failed to sound properly. All is fine with 5.1 files. I hook up to a little receiver through SPDIF. Just to clarify, they all used to play perfectly.

I remember reading something like the latest Kodi 17 nightly upgraded to ffmpeg 3. Could that be the reason?

I searched the forum and I found similar problems but none relate to Kodi 17. I'm not sure if I am providing enough details.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: just a note on how they don't sound properly. It's as if the sound is a little "mute." With no understandable dialogues. It's as if the center speaker doesn't work. If I get the sound through HDMI on my TV, it's all ok.
AAC 2 channel audio has no center channel.
Well, I don't know how to explain this. The thing is, they used to sound properly but now they don't.
Start with the usual Debug Log and all the other files mentioned in the first post. Check your volume setting in kodi and so on...
(2016-04-16, 13:09)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Start with the usual Debug Log and all the other files mentioned in the first post. Check your volume setting in kodi and so on...

hi fritsch,

first of all, thanks a lot!

http://xbmclogs.com/pueih02zq

Here is the log. Only the file lpd-a.separation.2011.720p.mkv plays properly. Also played that thinking it might provide some data. The others were all AAC 2.0 files.
Please let me know if I can provide any other info.

PS: upgraded to 16.04 just to see if it will make any difference. none so far.
(2016-04-16, 13:40)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Here, two testfiles:

a) http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/samples/audio/kyrie.aac
b) http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/samples/audio/kyrie.flac

You hear major difference?

well, after trying the files, I noticed that something was wrong with one of the speakers. Turns out, our baby, who recently started crawling messed up with the cables. And since 5.1 speech relies 90% on center speaker, I didn't notice any problems with them. And since 2.0 relies on those speakers, I had problems.

Sorry for the wrong alert and taking up your valuable time :\ I've been readiing the forums and all for the last few days.. If only I knew the solution would be so simple :>

Thanks a lot for your time and prompt replies once again!
:-)

Nice, thanks for reporting back. And have much fun with the baby. Here a penguin:
(2016-03-28, 18:32)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]For the number of buffers:

With TripleBuffers disabled: 2
With it enabled (sadly the default): 3

I ship a custom xorg.conf for OpenELEC when I force tearfree disabled and TripleBuffers, too.

For your DTS-HD issue: Could you please update the kernel? You use a very old one. This is not 15.10 right?

Same issue with OpenELEC build from USB stick?

Hi Fritsch,

I tried your OpenELEC build from 3rd of April. There I do not experience any skips/drops, everything seemed to work perfectly!

So next step is to update the kernel, but to which one? Or is it better to update to Ubuntu 16.04? (As you described in post #3632) I'm currently running Ubuntu 15.04.

BR,
Jorgensen
15.04 is not supported anymore by Cannonical. Backup your stuff and do the howto from scratch?

Also the upcoming nightly should have a very good working version again. See the hint in the first post about fernetmenta master vs xbmc-nightly master.
(2016-04-17, 16:34)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]15.04 is not supported anymore by Cannonical. Backup your stuff and do the howto from scratch?

Also the upcoming nightly should have a very good working version again. See the hint in the first post about fernetmenta master vs xbmc-nightly master.

Thanks for your reply. Despite your recommendation to start from scratch, I decided to update the distribution using "do-release-update". The update process was smooth, no problems at all. I have been watching different movies for more than an hour now and I have not seen a single skip or drop! Smile Everything seems to work perfect! Smile

Thanks again,
Jorgensen