Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi fritsch,
what xorg configuration do you suggest for j4205? How is it about tripple buffering nowadays?
Tell us :-) what differences do you see?
You want me to tell what xorg configuration do you suggest? :-)

I remember You were suggesting not to use triple buffering. But video player in Kodi was rewritten and now we have option to select 2/3 buffers in Kodi. You also said that triple buffering is crippled in intel driver. I am using it right now and it seems it works. But is it "safe/performance vise"? I would like to know your actual opinion on this.

If I remember it correctly, you were suggesting UXA acceleration method also. I am using SNA and again it seems to work correctly.

You definitely have more information about intel xorg driver options than me an I would like you to share your actual opinions please.

I appreciate your work and helping to Kodi users!
UXA was suggested as a workaround for broken Broadwell drivers this is not needed anymore. Most people are not using the intel driver at all anymore and switched to Modesetting.

For TripleBuffering: It is not needed. But with the 3 buffers in kodi, you can at least savely use it. If all goes well it's just a constant offset to the delay estimation.
(2017-01-18, 20:49)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]For TripleBuffering: It is not needed. But with the 3 buffers in kodi, you can at least savely use it. If all goes well it's just a constant offset to the delay estimation.

The 3 buffers option in Kodi is for TripleBuffering or does it have another function ?
It's a constant offset applied to measure sync. Nothing too advanced at all :-). With tearfree the number is not known at all, therefore take care.
Well I understood that TearFree is not recommended with Kodi.
I now understand that TripleBuffering is not needed so can be safely disabled.
Then, with TripleBuffering and TearFree disabled, are the 3 buffers useful in any means in Kodi ? I mean, can this constant offset improve playback ?
No. It makes no sense in that combination. It's there as we cannot auto detect.
Ok thank you for this explanation !
I set Kodi to 50 refresh rate, but on system restart it reverts back to 60. Any ideas why or perhaps how to force it on Kodi start to 50?
Nothing to do with kodi. If the mode is not available it won't switch to it, but fallback to the systemdefault.

Edit: As you use my howto, just add: DISPLAY=:0 xrandr -r 50 before the command to start kodi
@fritsch - have you rebased your passthrough patch to 4.9 kernel? Now when it's declared LTS it makes sense. And it would be much appreciated :-)
(2017-01-19, 20:23)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing to do with kodi. If the mode is not available it won't switch to it, but fallback to the systemdefault.

Edit: As you use my howto, just add: DISPLAY=:0 xrandr -r 50 before the command to start kodi

Thanks fritsch
exactly where to put the above line? How should it look properly? I'm using the howto from first post, line by line.
directly in the line before you launch the kodi.bin - not so hard is it?

Code:
OUTPUT=`xrandr -display :0 -q | sed '/ connected/!d;s/ .*//;q'`
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
xrandr -display :0 -r 50
/usr/bin/kodi --standalone
openbox --exit