Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I use a NUC with Braswell with LibreELEC and Kodi 17, and I wonder why some hevc videos only get SW and not HW like some other.

When I try the Jellyfish clips I only get SW (and lag) but other (like from mobile phone 4k, or the animated Bunny clip) works.

When HW, it's like ff-hevc-vaapi (HW) but other times ff-hevc (SW).

Are there some hevc videos the NUC (Braswell) can't play with HW?

/Söder
8bit fine
10bit SW only
(2017-03-06, 22:43)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]8bit fine
10bit SW only
Ok, and on http://jell.yfish.us 8bit is in h264 and 10bit hevc.

/Söder
h264 4.2.0 fine in general
h265 10 bit not fine on Braswell
For anyone interested, I've put in some effort lately to get proper hw decoding of HEVC content working in Kodi, both 1080p and 2160p, 8 bit and 10 bit.

I've tried this on a Braswell NUC (Celeron CPU), a Kaby Lake i3 NUC and a Kaby Lake i5 desktop.

I followed fritsch' guide on p1 to the point, but had to:

1. install newer mesa drivers from Padoka PPA
2. build latest Kodi-agile from source - see docs for instructions. Use build commands `cmake .. -DENABLE_VAAPI=1 -DENABLE_CEC=0 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release` and then `cmake --build . -- VERBOSE=1 -j4`. Use `j2` if you're on a dualcore system, like the Celeron or i3.
3. update the autostart script to use `/usr/bin/local/kodi` rather than `/usr/bin/kodi`

Then I was able to get flawless playback and HW decoding on both Kaby Lake platforms, of both 8 and 10 bit content.
I got 1080p HEVC hw decoding working well for the Braswell NUC, but not 4K (h265 nor h264).

Very happy to have this bleeding edge system working flawlessly, with true HD passthrough of 7.2 channel audio!
(2017-03-07, 07:43)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]h264 4.2.0 fine in general
h265 10 bit not fine on Braswell

OK. I had some 10 bit movies in 1080p h264. Checking info during play in Kodi shows me (SW) also on these.

The movie BFG was kind of laggy to, but Frozen in 10 bit also in (SW) my NUC manage to play without any lag that I could see.

Is 10 bit (h264 and h265 (hevc)) somethat will work on Braswell in the futue, or is it a dead end for my Braswell NUC?

I got a friend with a Odroid C2 and i had no problem with hevc 10 bit and the jellyfish clips..

/Söder
Quote:Is 10 bit (h264 and h265 (hevc)) somethat will work on Braswell in the futue, or is it a dead end for my Braswell NUC?
No. The HW does not support hevc-10 bit ... no silicon - was first integrated into Apollo Lake.

Odroid C2 can do it.
(2017-03-08, 22:40)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Is 10 bit (h264 and h265 (hevc)) somethat will work on Braswell in the futue, or is it a dead end for my Braswell NUC?
No. The HW does not support hevc-10 bit ... no silicon - was first integrated into Apollo Lake.

Odroid C2 can do it.

But does it support h264-10 bit? Cause I only get SW...

/Söder
No hardware supports h264 10 bit. (besides one rockchip in minor quality).

I have a feeling that I answered those question two thousand times during the years ...
Ok. What about HDR then? Are they coded in some special way? I got some HDR samples (Exodus and Life of Pi) that are HDR but in .MP4 (not sure of codec), that's unplayable on my Braswell, that my friend play on his C2.

/Söder
??
(2017-03-09, 15:13)soder Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. What about HDR then? Are they coded in some special way? I got some HDR samples (Exodus and Life of Pi) that are HDR but in .MP4 (not sure of codec), that's unplayable on my Braswell, that my friend play on his C2.

/Söder

(2017-03-09, 16:54)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]??

HDR clips. Are they coded just normal, like in h265/h265 and 8/10 bit? Or are there something else in that kind of videos, that needs something special from the hardware?

Like I said, the only HDR clips I've tried was .mp4 (don't know what codecs usually used for that container, since I mostly use .mkv with h264/h265). Anyway, these samples didn't work very well for my on my Braswell, but they worked on the C2. That'x why I wondered if HDR clips was special in some way the Braswell didn't handle, but the C2 did, or if it's might be that the samlpes just in 10 bit that my Braswell don't handle.

/Söder
Just post the mediainfo of that file and all speculations suddenly ends.
I just switched to Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17, of course following the installation infos from post #1
I run it on a ZOTAC CI320 with a BYT CPU and I can't get a flawless image.
Are there any hints o how to setup Kodi video acceleration settings to get a smooth image?
I saw some hints on the BYT CPUs but this are from 2015 and I suppose some changes could have been made on the Intel drivers and Kodi itself.
I would appreciate any help/hints on that.
If you don't post the logs post #1 wants to have no one can help you.