Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reading over the older posts, I understand it is best to set Kodi to decode audio like DTS, and HD audio streams, and send it to the AVR like PCM 5.1 over HDMI, this way I can keep Sync Playback to Display ON, and this will give me the best possible video and audio quality? Are there any downsides of doing this instead of passthrough and let the AVR decode audio streams? But then I have to keep Sync Playback to Display OFF.
Do you hear any?
No, the sound quality is the same for me, I think.
Only the AVR doesn't display if TrueHD stream is decoded, just PCM 5.1, but I don't think it is a problem. I think Sync Playback to Display ON is more important, do I get it right?
Yes.
(2017-03-12, 14:19)paradix Wrote: [ -> ]I just switched to Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17, of course following the installation infos from post #1
I run it on a ZOTAC CI320 with a BYT CPU and I can't get a flawless image.
Are there any hints o how to setup Kodi video acceleration settings to get a smooth image?
I saw some hints on the BYT CPUs but this are from 2015 and I suppose some changes could have been made on the Intel drivers and Kodi itself.
I would appreciate any help/hints on that.

Edit:
Here are the logs
dpkg -l |grep mesa
vainfo
kodi.log
dmesg
amixer

uid=1000(kodi) gid=1000(kodi) groups=1000(kodi),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),115(lpadmin),131(sambashare)
(2017-03-08, 11:25)Axman Wrote: [ -> ]For anyone interested, I've put in some effort lately to get proper hw decoding of HEVC content working in Kodi, both 1080p and 2160p, 8 bit and 10 bit.

I've tried this on a Braswell NUC (Celeron CPU), a Kaby Lake i3 NUC and a Kaby Lake i5 desktop.

I followed fritsch' guide on p1 to the point, but had to:

1. install newer mesa drivers from Padoka PPA
2. build latest Kodi-agile from source - see docs for instructions. Use build commands `cmake .. -DENABLE_VAAPI=1 -DENABLE_CEC=0 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release` and then `cmake --build . -- VERBOSE=1 -j4`. Use `j2` if you're on a dualcore system, like the Celeron or i3.
3. update the autostart script to use `/usr/bin/local/kodi` rather than `/usr/bin/kodi`

Then I was able to get flawless playback and HW decoding on both Kaby Lake platforms, of both 8 and 10 bit content.
I got 1080p HEVC hw decoding working well for the Braswell NUC, but not 4K (h265 nor h264).

Very happy to have this bleeding edge system working flawlessly, with true HD passthrough of 7.2 channel audio!

Indeed, very informative tutorial.

I followed similar steps to achieve playback of HEVC 10-bit (incl. 4K!) on Apollo Lake (ASRock J3455-ITX), with (almost) success.

I'm experiencing an issue though and wanted to check if anyone encounters the same.

The issue is that if I play samples on my TV at 3840x2160@60Hz (TV native setting), my screen flickers from time to time (screen goes completely black for a second or two, then plays fine for next few seconds and this process continuously reoccurs). In fact, that flickering also happens to me in Kodi UI, not only while playing the samples.

The problem disappears as soon as I enable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" option - my TV switches then to 24Hz and flickering is gone. So I guess it is somehow related to 4k resolution at 60Hz only.

My software setup is as follows:
X server, mesa, graphics drivers - Mesa 17.1, libva 1.8.0.pre1, i965 driver 1.8.1.pre1 (freshly updated and aligned with Padoka PPA)
Kernel - tried 4.8.0(-41) line as provided by Ubuntu, 4.9.13 (most recent from 4.9 line), 4.10.0-997 (Ubuntu's drm-intel-next)

Hardware - ASRock J3455-ITX with BIOS 1.20

Is anyone experiencing similar problem? Maybe you have any suggestions about possible root cause? If not, where do you think I should seek help?
(2017-03-12, 20:56)paradix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-12, 14:19)paradix Wrote: [ -> ]I just switched to Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17, of course following the installation infos from post #1
I run it on a ZOTAC CI320 with a BYT CPU and I can't get a flawless image.
Are there any hints o how to setup Kodi video acceleration settings to get a smooth image?
I saw some hints on the BYT CPUs but this are from 2015 and I suppose some changes could have been made on the Intel drivers and Kodi itself.
I would appreciate any help/hints on that.

Edit:
Here are the logs
dpkg -l |grep mesa
vainfo
kodi.log
dmesg
amixer

uid=1000(kodi) gid=1000(kodi) groups=1000(kodi),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),115(lpadmin),131(sambashare)

Anyone? Smile

Or can anyone give me at least a hint what are the optimal settings for VAAPI wit a BYT CPU?
It's written in the very first post isn't it?
(2017-03-14, 16:38)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]It's written in the very first post isn't it?

Sure it is and that's what I set in my Kodi setup but still getting not so smooth video playback.
Is it even possible to get better performance with BYT?
Thanks for any advice.
Can you compare with libreelec? Last time I checked all was fine with byt.
Well LibreELEC works perfect. Will need to switch to it permanently. Still interesting what the difference is.
(2017-03-10, 07:02)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Just post the mediainfo of that file and all speculations suddenly ends.

I couldn't get Mediainfo to work on my Mac, but the info in Kodi says ff-hevc (sw), so h265 and I guess 10bit since (sw) if the HDR part isn't some other special "thing" in the encode.

Also, maybe it's a thing to encode HDR in 10bit, like it seems to be with animated video?

/Söder
yes, HDR is (usually) 10bit
Just a quick question: is N3150 able to playback HEVC 10bit 1080p? I don't need anything higher res then 1080p, and I'm fine with HEVC 8bit output, just wonder if I can play 1080p mkv files encoded with HEVC 10bit with hw acceleration?

Sent from Tapatalk from my Z5 Compact
No.