Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@fritsch @FernetMenta 

Guys, I don't know how to thank you! It seems to be working beautifully!
To Tell the truth, I don't know any differences in gbm, it works really well!!
(2018-07-22, 19:53)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch @FernetMenta 

Could you describe the problem again that you had before that GBM fixed?
Hi Fritsch and Fernetmenta,

My pi just died following an electricity cut.
Im using my laptop so far, but i cant find all i want for the video settings...
In the video menu while watching somerthin, i cant choose auto for deinterlacing and i dont have any evoluate upscaling algorythm like lanczos...
Is it normal ?
https://paste.kodi.tv/diricuhima

Bibi
(2018-07-22, 21:39)bibi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Fritsch and Fernetmenta,

My pi just died following an electricity cut.
Im using my laptop so far, but i cant find all i want for the video settings...
In the video menu while watching somerthin, i cant choose auto for deinterlacing and i dont have any evoluate upscaling algorythm like lanczos...
Is it normal ?
https://paste.kodi.tv/diricuhima

Bibi

Not sure where to start - your log has nothing to do with the howto you just pasted in (including KWIN ... ).

"Auto" was removed years ago. Choose what the howto asks for (post 1)

Lanczos and friends will only be available if you actually "scale" something. Use HQ scaling when scaling above 20% is the default, means:

Screen: 1080p Video: 720p -> HQ available
Screen: 1080p Video 1080p -> No HQ available

as it would not make any sense to upscale a video that matches the output resolution with a large resource hungry convolution filter.

And finally: Your kodi version does not fit into this thread also.

For further questions, please open your own thread.
You're right, not the good poste, was deceived by the title of the point 1 which indicates krypton... Should have read the title of the post ^^.
Anyway you gave me all the answers i needed so thank you !

Bibi
(2018-07-22, 22:09)bibi Wrote: [ -> ]You're right, not the good poste, was deceived by the title of the point 1 which indicates krypton... Should have read the title of the post ^^.
Anyway you gave me all the answers i needed so thank you !

Bibi
 You are welcome :-) And as a long-term contributor you have special credits with me Tongue
@fritsch 

hey man, just followed your guide in terms of fixed edid, seems to be working fine according to dmesg output:

---
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic root=UUID=c3120b2b-f0e8-41e1-98f0-cdb7205663a1 ro quiet splash video=DP-3:1920x1080@50D drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DP-3:edid/edid.bin vt.handoff=1
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic root=UUID=c3120b2b-f0e8-41e1-98f0-cdb7205663a1 ro quiet splash video=DP-3:1920x1080@50D drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DP-3:edid/edid.bin vt.handoff=1
[    1.212925] [drm] drm_kms_firmware.edid_firmware is deprecated, please use drm.edid_firmware intead.
[    1.655070] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    1.948448] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    2.253386] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    3.646102] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    4.741728] [drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
----

Just regarding that one message in terms of drm_kms_helper.... deprecated. Should I update the grub command line to drm.edid_firmware something ... ?

thanks,

boba
(2018-07-22, 20:00)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-22, 19:53)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch @FernetMenta 

Could you describe the problem again that you had before that GBM fixed?  

The problem was, if I was passing hdmi1 to hdmi2 and I went back to hdmi1, I lost the signal.

My Nuc (NUC7PJYH) has two Hdmi - only the first (HDMI-A1) is connected to Denon.
In Denon -> hdmi1 = Kodi, hdmi2 = sky;
if I wanted to watch Sky and later watch a movie with Kodi, I lost the video signal, and the only solution was to make a reboot
(2018-07-23, 11:55)boba23 Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch 

hey man, just followed your guide in terms of fixed edid, seems to be working fine according to dmesg output:

---
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic root=UUID=c3120b2b-f0e8-41e1-98f0-cdb7205663a1 ro quiet splash video=DP-3:1920x1080@50D drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DP-3:edid/edid.bin vt.handoff=1
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic root=UUID=c3120b2b-f0e8-41e1-98f0-cdb7205663a1 ro quiet splash video=DP-3:1920x1080@50D drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=DP-3:edid/edid.bin vt.handoff=1
[    1.212925][drm] drm_kms_firmware.edid_firmware is deprecated, please use drm.edid_firmware intead.
[    1.655070][drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    1.948448][drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    2.253386][drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    3.646102][drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
[    4.741728][drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid.bin" for connector "DP-3"
----

Just regarding that one message in terms of drm_kms_helper.... deprecated. Should I update the grub command line to drm.edid_firmware something ... ?

thanks,

boba
 Yes. Take care that in "later version" of the kernel video in combination with drm_kms or drm.edid_firmware is sadly broken :-( - in short: choose what works.
(2018-07-22, 10:54)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Now copy the proptest binary to the directory /usr/local/bin/

Edit your systemd serivce to add before the ExecStar line:
Code:
ExecStartPre=/usr/local/bin/proptest -M i915 -D /dev/dri/card0 101 connector 103 1

sudo systemctl daemon reload
sudo reboot

kodi now needs to be set to "Use Limited Range" and your TV also to limited Range 
Hi @fritsch

I've been searching for documentation on the Internet for "probtest but I found almost nothing, I wanted to ask you something, what are these values about? 
Quote:105 content type:
          flags: enum
          enums: No Data=0 Graphics=1 Photo=2 Cinema=3 Game=4

Is it possible to also combine the right cinema mode to see if there can be any further improvement?

like so :
Quote:ExecStartPre=/usr/local/bin/proptest -M i915 -D /dev/dri/card0 101 connector 103 1 connector 105 3
Try or make a second start pre line. proptest is from libdrm test.
Alright, just wanted to report back on my adventures with my new rig, in short I am a happy camper now since everything seems to work.
I have to say, I wasn't going the easy way of just following fritschs howto and reinstalling ubuntu server, since I wanted to keep my linux desktop ... so I am now still on my years-old Kodibuntu foundation, upgraded to 18.04.1 Lubuntu base ;-)

- Using the openbox xsession of lubuntu and the respective autostart entries from this howto
- Struggled for days with lirc since it changed a lot compared to my previous setup (I am using a classic MCE remote and official MS USB receiver, plus my Antec case has imon display and IR as well, where I needed to disable the imon IR only and keep the display)  before the upgrade to 18.04 -> now all working fine as before, if anyone has similar troubles with lirc feel free to msg me .... I think I've seen it all now ;-)
- 10bit HEVC 4K now working like a charm, thanks a lot fritsch for all your work 
- 4K 50/60hz is working, though I could test the GUI only so far since I didn't have any 60hz 4k videos to test. Had to add modelines manually though, since for whatever reason 4K 50/60hz resolutions aren't added automatically in the handshake .... also, howto provided by fritsch
- Fixed EDID working fine as well, no more changing audio devices when kodi is on before handshake is done, again thanks fritsch for the howto on this

Take care,

boba
in case anyone needs it, here is a more generic script to set color range on GBM: https://github.com/wsnipex/xbmc/blob/866...or-rage.sh
It requires the modetest binary(from libdrm), which just as proptest, sadly isn't packaged on ubuntu. We can provide a binary for interested users.
Hi,
as i had some problems with LE i wanted to go back to Ubuntu Server version.
I downloaded the latest ubuntu-18.04.1 server iso and this one seems to lack some repositories.
Do i need to download another is or could you point me in right direction to get the repositories for below packages?
All other packages installed and distro-upgrade is OK ...

E: Package 'mesa-utils' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libmad0
E: Package 'lm-sensors' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libmpeg2-4
E: Package 'libnfs11' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'libva2' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package vainfo
E: Package 'i965-va-driver' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'openbox' has no installation candidate
(2018-08-09, 11:08)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
as i had some problems with LE i wanted to go back to Ubuntu Server version.
I downloaded the latest ubuntu-18.04.1 server iso and this one seems to lack some repositories.
Do i need to download another is or could you point me in right direction to get the repositories for below packages?
All other packages installed and distro-upgrade is OK ...

E: Package 'mesa-utils' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libmad0
E: Package 'lm-sensors' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libmpeg2-4
E: Package 'libnfs11' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'libva2' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package vainfo
E: Package 'i965-va-driver' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'openbox' has no installation candidate
i fixed this by adding the repos from https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/...on.html.en , strange that they were missing in /etc/apt/sources.list from the clean install of 18.04.1