Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah - I know why .... Damn on my hurry I bumped to 4.1.9 and did not move the patches folder :-( (Isengard only - Jarvis is fine, kernels for Ubuntu are fixed to (lauri3))
First time after upgrade i need to untick/tick 16-235 option to have correct 16-235 a restart didn't solve and before restart auto acted as normal

After restart of tv and kodi auto=full...limited ok

speed test done before go to work
@Sunflux: Please try the latest .tar in the Isengard folder.
Okay, that's better:

Broadcast RGB: Video 16:235 pass-through
supported: Automatic, Full, Limited 16:235, Video 16:235 pass-through

However, every time I reboot the UI comes up too bright. Unticking Kodi's Limited mode makes it correct, but ticking it again makes it too bright. It's not until I do something that refreshes the display - play a movie, change the refresh rate, etc, that it starts working correctly. So, that tells me that the TV isn't immediately locking onto Limited range on first boot, but is on subsequent screen changes.

With that said, the greyscale test looks AMAZING. Best they've ever looked on this screen. The 0-255 Full/Full/Dithered output that looks great on my LCD, actually looks quite horrible on this Plasma... but now, it looks PERFECT.

Except for the boot bug. :-)
Testing further:

If I set Kodi to operate at a refresh rate other than 60hz (which I assume is what the system boots at), the GUI then loads in the correct color space.
Real-world examples of the difference that true Limited mode makes. The full-range dithering doesn't work at all well when displayed on the plasma, but does work well on my LCD.

Ignore the color shift in the darker end of the spectrum; the camera seems to exaggerate that.

(2015-10-01, 09:40)Sunflux Wrote: [ -> ]Testing further:

If I set Kodi to operate at a refresh rate other than 60hz (which I assume is what the system boots at), the GUI then loads in the correct color space.

Okay - that's what I assume. On bootup the coefficients are set until reset. Can you try to add something like this into your autostart.sh:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output YOURHDMIOUTPUT --auto

or alternatively switching to another mode?

For me this "go to Full and then to limited solved the issue". But we find another workaround for sure :-) So please play arround with what you need to do to get it right. I will look at the kernel code tonight.
Earlier, I tried adding

xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Video 16:235 pass-through"

to autostart.sh, but it made no difference.

EDIT

Just tried your --auto line; no change when at the system refresh rate.
Switch to 50 hz and back to 60 hz works? e.g. xrandr -r 50 ; sleep 1; xrandr -r 60

Combining

--off

and afterwards

-- auto

also works?
(2015-10-01, 10:09)Sunflux Wrote: [ -> ]Real-world examples of the difference that true Limited mode makes. The full-range dithering doesn't work at all well when displayed on the plasma, but does work well on my LCD.

Ignore the color shift in the darker end of the spectrum; the camera seems to exaggerate that.

Do you see any visible difference between 16-235, kodi limited, dithering and no dithering?
(2015-10-01, 10:32)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Switch to 50 hz and back to 60 hz works? e.g. xrandr -r 50 ; sleep 1; xrandr -r 60

Combining

--off

and afterwards

-- auto

also works?

No to the first one in autostart.sh (will work after Kodi is loaded). This worked:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --off; sleep 1; xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto

(2015-10-01, 10:35)sat4all Wrote: [ -> ]Do you see any visible difference between 16-235, kodi limited, dithering and no dithering?

There is no visible difference with dithering on or off when in this new passthrough mode (proper 16-235), or in the prior version when outputting limited video as full.
Fritsch: a request. When in limited mode, would it be possible to set the background mask colors of videos to 16-16-16 instead of 0-0-0? I get weird visible horizontal lines on an otherwise solid black screen where the cropped video ends... and I suspect it's because the TV's trying to sharpen the transition from 16-16-16 to 0-0-0, and thus creating an artifact in what should be solid black. The original Blu-rays of course hard-encode 16-16-16 black bars, but I've always cropped those when I re-encode.

This is a situation that wouldn't have happened previously when the driver forced everything up to 16-16-16, but whatever's creating the black background doesn't seem influenced by the Limited setting.
Okay, can you try: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/tests/Ope...46f19a.tar - hacked arround in the kernel a bit :-)
Should I remove my xrandr lines from autostart?

EDIT: removed the line. Still starts up in the wrong color space.
Good - then no idea how to fix it ... (or better said: no time).