Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: touchscreen only works on upper left corner, a possible method to calibrate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello again, I got a 5" egalax-like hdmi lcd screen that has a usb touch panel from ebay here and am using it on a raspberry pi 2 under osmc, and while I got the video and touch working, I have not been able to get touch to work properly with kodi. I have had this issue under an install of kodi under a plain raspbian as well, and it seems to be a problem on other screens I have tried, such as on a SPI 3.2" waveshare spotpear screen, which I still have. Touch works under xorg for example, but not in kodi. I can touch the upper left corner of the screen and the arrow appears, but it is way out of calibration to the point that I cannot use the touchscreen, and the only way I can make the arrow appear is by touching the upper left corner. Touching anywhere on the screen does however wake kodi from a screensaver (where the screen darkens from inactivity in my case), which also tells me the touchscreen does work. From what I have been reading, this seems to be a very common problem, but with no hard and fast ways to solve it.

I have been working on a possible solution that has seemed to work for a lot of people and shows promise, outlined here, http://markamc.traki-iski.co.uk/raspberr...uchscreen/ that uses a uinput-mapper python service and a modified ts_calibrate . I haven't been able to get it to work because
Code:
cd /scripts/uinput-mapper

./input-read.py /dev/input/event0 -D | ./input-create.py configs/touchscreen.py

does not run and I get this

Code:
FAIL MUCH?
Failed to open uinput
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./input-create.py", line 59, in <module>
    d = UInputDevice()
  File "/scripts/uinput-mapper/uinputmapper/cinput.py", line 194, in __init__
    raise OSError
OSError
Exception TypeError: 'argument must be an int, or have a fileno() method.' in <bound method UInputDevice.__del__ of <uinputmapper.cinput.UInputDevice object at 0xb6a0b250>> ignored
, and when I touch the display I get this
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./input-read.py", line 111, in <module>
    sys.stdout.flush()
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

and thus I am not able to run the uimapper service, which depends on those scripts working. I have also been trying to contact the admin of the tutorial for some help, but no responses so far.

Is there anyone here who has tried this tutorial and managed to get their touchscreens to properly work with kodi, or is there a better/easier way to do this than the link?
anyone??
the same problem( Touchscreen+Kodi on Raspbain is a very very old problem and there is still no solution.
(2015-07-18, 15:40)x3merrus Wrote: [ -> ]the same problem( Touchscreen+Kodi on Raspbain is a very very old problem and there is still no solution.

Soo true. What I don't understand is why in the hell kodi/xbmc can't just use Xorg directly (of which most linux touchscreen drivers are based on and made to run on) instead of running in the framebuffer with its own set of rules you have to work around, which makes it an absolute nightmare to set up touchscreens on! What's bad is they keep saying it's compatible with touchscreens: of which I say BULL****. The whole interface innards need to be scrapped and rewritten!
(2015-07-18, 18:11)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-18, 15:40)x3merrus Wrote: [ -> ]the same problem( Touchscreen+Kodi on Raspbain is a very very old problem and there is still no solution.

Soo true. What I don't understand is why in the hell kodi/xbmc can't just use Xorg directly (of which most linux touchscreen drivers are based on and made to run on) instead of running in the framebuffer with its own set of rules you have to work around, which makes it an absolute nightmare to set up touchscreens on! What's bad is they keep saying it's compatible with touchscreens: of which I say BULL****. The whole interface innards need to be scrapped and rewritten!

Because there is NO accelerated Xorg driver for the pi yet.
Period.
(2015-07-18, 18:11)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]Soo true. What I don't understand is why in the hell kodi/xbmc can't just use Xorg directly (of which most linux touchscreen drivers are based on and made to run on) instead of running in the framebuffer with its own set of rules you have to work around, which makes it an absolute nightmare to set up touchscreens on! What's bad is they keep saying it's compatible with touchscreens: of which I say BULL****. The whole interface innards need to be scrapped and rewritten!

This is so wrong that it hurts.
(2015-07-18, 22:46)asavah Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-18, 18:11)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]

Because there is NO accelerated Xorg driver for the pi yet.
Period.

Thank you for letting me in on this. Now I know where I can look into this. As for my rant, please accept my apologies if I came off as too angry. This really is a big problem, though, but I know where to look now.
It's not a big problem. Just don't use the Pi+touchscreen. It's not the end of the world.
(2015-07-19, 10:51)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-18, 18:11)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]Soo true. What I don't understand is why in the hell kodi/xbmc can't just use Xorg directly (of which most linux touchscreen drivers are based on and made to run on) instead of running in the framebuffer with its own set of rules you have to work around, which makes it an absolute nightmare to set up touchscreens on! What's bad is they keep saying it's compatible with touchscreens: of which I say BULL****. The whole interface innards need to be scrapped and rewritten!

This is so wrong that it hurts.

My rant sounding too angry or the problem with the touchscreen support? If it was my rant, please accept my apologies.
(2015-07-19, 15:30)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a big problem. Just don't use the Pi+touchscreen. It's not the end of the world.

Yes it is a big problem when an awesome fully featured program like this needs a working touchscreen for a car media player that uses it but won't work with it, and kodi saying that it works with touchscreens and it not in actuality is a huge downer. Plus the pi and touchscreen is all I have right now.
(2015-07-19, 15:31)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]My rant sounding too angry or the problem with the touchscreen support? If it was my rant, please accept my apologies.

Mainly just this:

Quote:The whole interface innards need to be scrapped and rewritten!

Writing to the framebuffer is one of the things that allows Kodi to be so efficient on a Pi. People who use a touch screen with Kodi + Pi are fairly rare, and there are a number of already working solutions for other screens (depending on the screen and driver). Scrapping the current system to support all possible touch screens, of which only a relative few will ever be used like this, seems like a bad idea ;)
(2015-07-19, 15:33)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it is a big problem when an awesome fully featured program like this needs a working touchscreen for a car media player that uses it but won't work with it, and kodi saying that it works with touchscreens and it not in actuality is a huge downer. Plus the pi and touchscreen is all I have right now.

It may be a big problem for your specific application attempt, but not for Kodi. You describe a niche application, therefore it is a small problem. If it were a big problem, you'd find a bunch of active threads on the topic.
(2015-07-20, 14:38)whitebelly Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-19, 15:33)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it is a big problem when an awesome fully featured program like this needs a working touchscreen for a car media player that uses it but won't work with it, and kodi saying that it works with touchscreens and it not in actuality is a huge downer. Plus the pi and touchscreen is all I have right now.

It may be a big problem for your specific application attempt, but not for Kodi. You describe a niche application, therefore it is a small problem. If it were a big problem, you'd find a bunch of active threads on the topic.

Car media may be a niche application for kodi, but I do find active threads on touchscreen support all-of-the-time, but I read the responses and lots of times it's more on the responders just trying to weasel their way out of having kodi support a touch screen. YES IT IS A BIG PROBLEM to get this going and it's aggravating when it doesn't need to be. This thread originally asked about a possible solution to this that to my knowledge has worked for some and I was asking for some help to make it work on the original site, but no response, and all I get here is more responders trying to do just that: weasel their way out of having touchscreen + pi.
Ned Scott Wrote:and there are a number of already working solutions for other screens (depending on the screen and driver)

The solution I found in the original post of this thread has worked for a lot of ppl from what I gather, but I have no idea why it didn't for me. Do you know why?
(2015-07-20, 19:05)thebestofall007 Wrote: [ -> ]
Ned Scott Wrote:and there are a number of already working solutions for other screens (depending on the screen and driver)

The solution I found in the original post of this thread has worked for a lot of ppl from what I gather, but I have no idea why it didn't for me. Do you know why?

There are many weird chinese touchscreens which won't work even on plain raspbian with X, because there are no drivers for them,
or because the makers provide prebuilt, usually outdated OS images with binary drivers (blobs) without sourcecode and it's impossible to make them work on a decent OS without source.
Check raspberrypi.org forums and you find lots of posts like "Help my no-name screen doesn't work!!!111111".

You fail to provide any meaningful information such as which touchscreen model you have, yet you rant and whine.
Such an attitude won't get you any help.
Pages: 1 2