Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Easily manage unknown TV shows/home videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a 6-month user of XBMC/Kodi, and I absolutely love it's ease of use on videos (movies/tv shows) that are well known by scrapers,

However, it's been a PITA so far to manage videos that are not well-known by scrapers.

Let me give three examples:
1. The animated show "Buurman en Buurman", which is internationally known as "Pat and Mat" but is brought out in a Dutch version with a DVD ordering different from the international version.
2. A semiprofessionally produced DVD on Belgian trams, which I ripped into 7 different files.
3. The DVD with series "The Tunnel", which contains 10 episodes and 7 extras.

I want these all to appear in the menu "TV shows".
In the case of 1, it was "no problem" to create basic NFO files for the show and the episodes. However, no images are available on each episode, which is not a real problem for me. Renaming the episodes to Pat and Mat will probably do the trick, but all of my friends know the show by it's Dutch name.
In the case of 2, making NFO files did the trick as well.
In the case of 3, initally, the series' episodes were recognized, but the extras weren't. After renaming the extras into S00Exx, three of the 7 extras are "recognized". The titles on theTVDB (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=...4003&lid=7) don't match those on the DVD though, and by comparing the titles, I can see that one of the titles (Karl and Elise) doesn't exist on the DVD I have - so apparently the DVD I have doens't match the listing in theTvDB. Creating NFO files on just the specials removes the episodes from the database. Creating basic NFO files on all files makes that I lose the images and synopsis on the episodes.

The reason I write it's "no problem" (in quotes) to create the basic NFO files is that it's a tedious process, even with tools like tinyMediaManager or MediaElch, especially compared with the "dump files and forget"-ease for movies and most series. Making NFO files have more information than just the title, season and episode (like synopsis, actors etc) is a painstaking labor for something that is already available online, in The Tunnel's case.

Is there a way to let kodi just list every playable file in the "Series" file structure, and if it's not recognized by scrapers just display the filename? I have tried JustUseTheFilename, but I haven't been able to get it to work for series.
After various searches I noticed I am not the only one, there are many people having similar questions on fora, and I haven't seen an answer why this wouldn't be possible.

I am using Kodi Isengard on android and a slightly older Kodi version on kodibuntu - both using the same files and database via NFS/MySQL.

With regards, Tijmen
For the first issue, you can rename the TV show after it has been scanned. Updating for future episodes will still work, as a different ID will be used by the scraper. Just select the TV show and go onto the context menu ("c" on a keyboard or "menu" on most remotes), and select "manage" then "edit title".

For the third issue, I would install the Video Extras add-on. I think it works with TV shows as well as movies.