Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Custom Category Settings Request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Gade, first off I absolutely love the Rapier skin, hands down it's my favorite skin. I was wondering if there was a way too create custom shortcuts per category like the standard categories shown in the skin settings, I'd like to see a custom category menu under Add-on Shortcut settings if custom category is enabled.

Also I noticed that the skin settings menu doesn't allow you to hide custom categories like the standard categories show in skin settings, I realize that you could simply disable the category to hide it but doing it this way deletes all the presets & sub menus setup for that category. It would be nice to turn off a custom category from the Hide Categories settings.

I noticed that there is a option under the Add More Categories setting to set a custom panel, but this option isn't available for standard categories like the Video Category for example. Is it possible to add a custom panel to the video category to view In Cinemas / Upcoming Movies? Also is it possible to create a custom panel using your own custom code?

I hope you take my suggestions into consideration, thanks for all your hard work & dedication. I look forward to hearing back from you and watching this skin become even better then what it already is.
Hi DataBass.

Thanks a lot for all the kind words and for taking time to post these great suggestions.

(2015-07-22, 00:55)DataBass Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if there was a way too create custom shortcuts per category like the standard categories shown in the skin settings, I'd like to see a custom category menu under Add-on Shortcut settings if custom category is enabled.

I would very much like this as well. It is already on my to-do-list, but as it requires a ton of work, it will not happen anytime soon.

(2015-07-22, 00:55)DataBass Wrote: [ -> ]Also I noticed that the skin settings menu doesn't allow you to hide custom categories like the standard categories show in skin settings, I realize that you could simply disable the category to hide it but doing it this way deletes all the presets & sub menus setup for that category. It would be nice to turn off a custom category from the Hide Categories settings.

Doing that will confuse users a lot. But an easy solution could be to have the changes in the custom categories/submenu saved even if the category/submenu later is disabled. What do you think?

(2015-07-22, 00:55)DataBass Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed that there is a option under the Add More Categories setting to set a custom panel, but this option isn't available for standard categories like the Video Category for example. Is it possible to add a custom panel to the video category to view In Cinemas / Upcoming Movies?

Tha hardcoded categories have predefined widgets, and the only option is to enable/disable them.

To add a custom panel to the Videos category, you'll have to disable that category and create a custom category with the same features (submenus, backgrounds, icons etc.) - and add your custom panel.

I realize that doing this will lose the add-on shortcuts, but as I wrote above, I have plans to add them at some point to the custom categories.

(2015-07-22, 00:55)DataBass Wrote: [ -> ]Also is it possible to create a custom panel using your own custom code?

That would only be possible editing the skin xml files.

Cheers
Gade
Thanks for taking the time to reply back, that clears things up for me.

(2015-07-23, 21:45)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Doing that will confuse users a lot. But an easy solution could be to have the changes in the custom categories/submenu saved even if the category/submenu later is disabled. What do you think?

I agree it could be confusing to some, having settings saved after disabling would be great!

Quote:That would only be possible editing the skin xml files.

Which XML file would I need to edit exactly?
(2015-07-24, 05:46)DataBass Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-23, 21:45)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Doing that will confuse users a lot. But an easy solution could be to have the changes in the custom categories/submenu saved even if the category/submenu later is disabled. What do you think?

I agree it could be confusing to some, having settings saved after disabling would be great!

I will see if it's possible to do Smile

(2015-07-24, 05:46)DataBass Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-23, 21:45)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]That would only be possible editing the skin xml files.

Which XML file would I need to edit exactly?

All custom panels are inside the includes_HomeCustomPane.xml file.

The panels for the hardcoded categories are in the includes_Home.xml file.
Thanks Gade! Just received an update for Rapier & was surprised to see my request for keeping custom data after disabled is filled already, you sir are awesome!
Haha, thanks. I'm glad to help Smile