Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why is xbmchelper 32-bit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw a process xbmchelper which is 32-bit at system monitor window. I like 64-bit apps, because 32-bit apps had power bugs for OS X.
aha ok ... well its 32 bit because nobody cared for it
can you try this one? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30371861/XBMCHelper (just replace the one in the Kodi.app package) and report back if it works?
(2015-07-22, 22:55)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]can you try this one? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30371861/XBMCHelper (just replace the one in the Kodi.app package) and report back if it works?

It runs. I don't know whether it works.
So you don't really use it - right? (Its for using it remotes for starting up kodi)
Hi Memphiz, i replaced the xbmchelper in the package, but after that, the helper wouldn't launch at all.
I tried to disable, enable remote support in the settings, disabled - enabled the start kodi option, restarted kodi,
but the helper wouldn't start and the apple remote didn't work. tried a reboot of OS X 10.10.4, no luck.
Always had to start kodi via a vlc-session...

since i have no keyboard and no mouse on my Mac mini, i dragged the release version of kodi over the modified
kodi app, since i wanted to start watching.. sorry, no log files, only a description of what i tried and saw...

And yes, i depend on the apple remote working, since its the only way i use koi on my Mac mini... :-) and
after Watching a movie or some episodes, i always shutdown kodi

*edited typos*
bad thing that i merged this change into mainline and isengard then *grrrr* @icqcu is it really needed in 64bit or is this only a request of principle?
(2015-07-25, 16:30)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]bad thing that i merged this change into mainline and isengard then *grrrr* @icqcu is it really needed in 64bit or is this only a request of principle?

The 32 bit apps could prevent from powering off my computer properly.
Ok - i will revert that change now - because without further feedback i assume that compiling XBMCHelper as 64bit binary makes it non-working. Better have it prevent powering off for some (or maybe only you? noone else reported this yet) then having lost the whole featureset that XBMCHelper provides (f.e. starting Kodi via remote which quiet some users seem to make use off).

In the end this needs someone to ensure that XBMCHelper works when compiled as 64bit (low priority to me atm due to lack of any free time for kodi atm, every other osx dev is welcome to make XBMCHelper 64bit compatible though...)

Also if i am not totally wrong - when having the feature disabled it shouldn't even run XBMCHelper at all (as a workaround for your problem...).
With 10.10.4 on my MacMini 2012 i have no problem with the xbmchelper regarding sleeping if koi is closed and rebooting on my nightly schedule. all works fine at least for my system.
Yeah me too - i still have the feeling this is more of a theoretical problem to waste someones time *cough* Wink