Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help Connect Kodi (OpenElec) to Synology DS not on LAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi 14.2
Synology DS412+ running DSM 5.2-5592 Update 1

I am trying to stream video from my Synology to my HTPC which is not on my LAN.
I am not very technical but have been reading and experimenting with nearly every connection method unsuccessfully.

Can someone help point me in the most logical way to accomplish this - ideally with step-by-step instructions? I just can't find a guide that works in the Wiki's (Kodi, OpenElec, Synology).

Thank you!

Boaz
I just realized Kodi-15.0 Isengard released so updating to that but still need help configuring new share connection to my Synology DS please!

EDIT: Requires BETA OpenElec-6.0 but I will stay with stable build OpenElec-5.0.8.
Well...I'm a bit confuesd and I think you should be a bit specific.

Correct me, if I'm wrong...

You want to stream a video from a NAS which is not in your LAN but it is your own NAS? In which LAN is it? Do you use a cable to connect? If yes...then it's in your LAN. Connection a cable to a NAS means, you made a local network which LAN means (LAN = Local Area Network).

Or is it a NAS from your friend and you want to connect over the internet?

Please explain a bit more
Sorry, my NAS (Synology DS) is at home on my LAN.
I stream video to my iPhone (outside my LAN) using the Synology DS-Video app which works great.
I want to stream video to my parents HTPC which is the machine referenced in the original post. They are retired and travel in an RV across the country so I'm trying to configure their HTPC to connect to my Synology DS.
Thank you David1977!
So...in theory you have to open ports on your router and forward them to your NAS. They (your parents) need to have an internet connection. Then they have multiple options to connect to your NAS from the internet. You can use SFTP or some other protocolls which Kodi provides to you.

I can't give you a step by step guide, as I never used this. But there are many tutorials out there if you google a bit.

But it can't be done without an internet connection
Understood about needing internet connection on their end - got that covered.
I have been Googling for weeks and found a ton of theoretical ways to connect but I just can't seem to make any of them work.
The closest I've come is creating a WebDAV DDNS share from but just can't get it to connect to my Synology (error connecting to network it says each time).

What I was hoping for was someone who could say "you need to create an FTP connection from Kodi and here is how to do it" or a link to how to do it. The Kodi-Wiki and instructions for setting up FTP just don't quite show the step-by-step how-to at least none that I can find. I'm sure it is due to assumptions the end user is more technical than I am Smile