Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 15 - Music Playlist Album Art Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone - I'm very new to Kodi and have run into an issue with my music playlists that hopefully someone can help me resolve.

I've successfully added my music library and if I pull up any song in the library all information displays correctly (I've embedded all necessary metadata, including cover art, in each file). However, I've also imported some playlists into Kodi as well. If I open up the playlist, the songs are in the right order, but all the album art is incorrect. Its basically 1 or 2 images that is being used for every single song in the list.

For example, I have a playlist for songs where Eminem is the guest - so its a mixture of a lot of different artists and albums. All of these files are stored in the same local folder, and there is no jpg's or other picture files in that folder. If I go to those songs in the library or by navigating the file view in Kodi, they all come up correctly. On my playlist, there are 2 images used for cover art for the entire playlist - the first bunch of songs will have one, the next bunch will have the 2nd one, then more will have the same 1st cover, etc. This happens if I have the playlist saved locally and open it through the file view in Kodi, if I move the playlist to the Kodi's music playlist folder (so it shows up in the playlist option of my music library) or even if I create a new playlist in Kodi and select the songs in that folder.

Its not just that folder/playlist though, this happens for every playlist where I have more than 1 artist/album.

I've tried ye old google search, and looking through some of the wiki documentation, but I can't figure out what might be causing this and how to correct it. I primarily listen to my music through my variety of playlists, so its a pretty big issue for me. Can anyone help me get this working correctly?
Ok, so some more tinkering around and I have discovered the issue, though not how to correct it.

If I browse to songs through the library, the cover art displays correctly. If I browse to that folder in the File view, each song just shows the same cover art. And that same cover art for all files is what is showing when those files are in a playlist.

So - somehow, there is an image/cover art associated in Kodi with each folder and that's what is displaying in playlists. Is there a way I can get the playlist to show each song's album art instead? I've looked through the music options (on both Confluence skin and the one I've been using, Aeon Nox) without success.

If no one knows how to fix this, or if it is intended, are there any music player addons I could use in Kodi to get around this? I've tried searching online and in the addons section but all I seem to find are ones for streaming music.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I've figured out exactly what its doing, just not how to avoid it.

If I make a playlist with songs from Folder A - each of those songs will display the cover art from the last song in that folder. If I make a playlist from songs in Folders A and B, the ones from Folder A will display the cover art from the last song in that folder and the songs from Folder B will display the cover art from the last song in their folder.

It happens on both skins that I've tried - Confluence and Aeon Nox, so it doesn't seem to be a skin issue. It happens if I import the playlist or create it within Kodi, which leads me to believe that its a setting somewhere within Kodi that's pulling this information from the playlist. But I can't find that setting (if there is one). Am I the only one experiencing this? Should I try a re-install?
Same result on a fresh install. Tried dropping down to 14.2 fresh install and had the same issue. It shows the correct album art all the way through, even when adding a song to the playlist, until I'm browsing the playlist or playing the song from the playlist. At that point its showing whatever art is associated with the folder the file resides in (which seems to be just the last song located in the directory). I've been through all the system settings, the music settings, anything I could think of but I can't find anything that would let me change what thumbnail is associated with a file on a playlist. I've reached the end of what I can think of to try. Unfortunately its pretty important to me as I often use my HTPC to play music.
When you say "playlist" I am assuming you mean a simple - m3u playlist? In general I think Kodi does link an embedded cover art to a song that is used in some views, but it also uses a file folder.jpg (can be changed in advanacedsettings) associated with a specific folder containing it in file views. Also there is in the library for each album an album thumb -- this can either be a URL to an online image (from a scraper) or a local file (assigned by the scanner) which can be folder.jpg (this assumes all files in a folder are from a single album). In addition there is an album fanart which uses the fanart image from the album artist.

In album info you have the ability to change the thumb and fanart for the album.

That doesn't really help your problem but maybe gives you some ideas on how to approach it. I assume what you want is in the music visualization window (that is, full screen window while playing music) to display the song cover art, not the album cover art?

scott s.
It does sound like a bug to me. Maybe Kodi needs custom Playlist art capability, where you could just assign a specific image to the playlist and that is all it shows.
(2015-08-01, 21:42)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]When you say "playlist" I am assuming you mean a simple - m3u playlist? In general I think Kodi does link an embedded cover art to a song that is used in some views, but it also uses a file folder.jpg (can be changed in advanacedsettings) associated with a specific folder containing it in file views. Also there is in the library for each album an album thumb -- this can either be a URL to an online image (from a scraper) or a local file (assigned by the scanner) which can be folder.jpg (this assumes all files in a folder are from a single album). In addition there is an album fanart which uses the fanart image from the album artist.

In album info you have the ability to change the thumb and fanart for the album.

That doesn't really help your problem but maybe gives you some ideas on how to approach it. I assume what you want is in the music visualization window (that is, full screen window while playing music) to display the song cover art, not the album cover art?

scott s.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the problem - it is using a folder.jpg (that it is generating on its own using the art of whatever is the last file in the directory - I've made sure there wasn't a file in the actual folder causing this). But I can't for the life of me find the setting you are referring to where I can change that. I've looked through the settings a few times now, on expert, and I don't see it. Could you direct me to where I can find that? I think it would solve my problem entirely.

The cover art saved in the song is the album cover art, so it wouldn't matter if it was displaying that, but it is displaying the same image for all songs in each folder in those views so its definitely associating an image with each folder and I just can't find where to change that.

Browsing through library, correct cover art: Image

Playlist view (shows the same during visualization view): Image
Hi,

I have been using XBMC/Kodi for over 5 years now and this has been my only gripe with the software. If you play all songs on random the correct album art is displayed, but if you play a playlist it seems to display some random album art image from the artist folder.

I've never been able to find a workaround for this and I am completely dumbfounded as to why the developers have never sorted this.

Until this is sorted, the software will always be flawed for those using it to play music.
(2016-02-07, 11:30)shutterskull Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have been using XBMC/Kodi for over 5 years now and this has been my only gripe with the software. If you play all songs on random the correct album art is displayed, but if you play a playlist it seems to display some random album art image from the artist folder.

I've never been able to find a workaround for this and I am completely dumbfounded as to why the developers have never sorted this.

Until this is sorted, the software will always be flawed for those using it to play music.

I hope the developers are going to find the answer to this ASAP. I do love music and I want this issue will be resolved so OP and I as well as the others won't face the same issue in the future.
(2016-08-15, 15:47)Permade Wrote: [ -> ]I hope the developers are going to find the answer to this ASAP. I do love music and I want this issue will be resolved so OP and I as well as the others won't face the same issue in the future.

I have never seen this, but it is a skin issue most likely.

scott s.
(2016-08-15, 23:11)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-15, 15:47)Permade Wrote: [ -> ]I hope the developers are going to find the answer to this ASAP. I do love music and I want this issue will be resolved so OP and I as well as the others won't face the same issue in the future.

I have never seen this, but it is a skin issue most likely.

scott s.

What Scott says, it's most likely a skin issue, try a different skin to make sure.
I listen to music all day long with kodi, mostly playlists on random and never noticed a wrong cover in der playlist view or in the musicViz
I'm still waiting for someone to describe exactly what they are doing when they say they are "playing a playlist"? I take it this is an m3u file referring to songs that have not been scanned into the Kodi library?

scott s.
For me its mostly m3u files, a few kodi smartplaylists, but all mp3s are in the kodi lib
I am not seeing this issue with my playlists.

Can we get back to basics and try something?

1) Create a playlist with just two songs.
2) Describe the paths to those two songs (including any files artwork files you may have in any folders of that path eg:

Queen\folder.jpg
Queen\fanart.jpg
Queen\artist.nfo
Queen\Greatest Hits\
Queen\Greatest Hits\folder.jpg
Queen\Greatest Hits\01 - Another One Bites The Dust.mp3

Eminem\folder.jpg
Eminem\fanart.jpg
Eminem\artist.nfo
Eminem\Greatest Hits\
Eminem\Greatest Hits\folder.jpg
Eminem\Greatest Hits\01 - Cleaning Our My Closet.mp3

3) Tell me what the following mp3 tags contain:
- Artist
- Album Artist
- Album
- Embedded Art? (yes or no)
I did find on 0813 nightly what appears to be a bug. I created an m3u playlist in a different program that referenced song files in local folders that are not in a Kodi defined music source. When I opened the m3u file in Kodi (music window) Kodi produced an incorrect path for the first song in the playlist. All the rest were correct. The folder structure was artist/album with folder.jpg of cover art in each album folder. This art (I don't think it uses embedded art in this scenario but I'm not sure -- need to do more work on this) was displayed except for the first item which was unreachable due to the path error. I do have embedded cover art in all the songs so maybe I will create some test files to better understand how it is working.

scott s.