Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Protecting My Companies Custom Kodi Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Removed because of misunderstanding. Moving on.
Keep up the awesome work Kodi!!!
(2015-08-03, 05:45)4scottbizpro Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,

I have spent much time and money having someone custom build me "a very customized skin (build) for my company with all the bells and whistles.... my concern is.... is there a way to prevent someone that knows a little about Kodi from coping (stealing) or backing up all my companies customized hard work? And then installing on other devices. Worst yet, another box reseller using my custom builds and installing on their boxes? Someone said I can password protect the part where you need to go and do a total backup, is this true? This is not part of the COMMUNITY BUILDS of TI.

There's nothing you can do. You didn't do jack shit in the first place. You are not a special snowflake. Your customizations are shit. I knew this the moment I looked into your soul.

Oh noes, someone is "stealing" your build set up to stream stolen videos!!11!1

You can't password protect it. It doesn't work that way. You can't lock it down. You don't know what you are doing. Your mom is disappointed in you. Why haven't you called her lately? She gave birth to you, you could at least call her every now and again.

Edited to include the original message I was replying to, and to remove an errant linebreak.
Not sure if my previous reply posted as I am not seeing it in the thread.

I was simply asking a question on behalf of my my partners and dealers, if there
was a way to protect our build on our Android boxes. Then Ned Scott got sarcastic
regarding my post bringing up my mother and my build is shit, which I consider
inappropriate behavior on a professional forum. I have many dealers selling many
streaming boxes, so where Ted Scott comes off with his crazy talk is beyond me. LOL

I talk to my mother several times a week. LOL

An apology would be appropriate if you have any kind of "Soul" Ted Scott.

That is if you have any kind of heart or conscious.
Apart from whatever reaction. You are not allowed to lock down any build of Kodi in whatever way. You must adhere to the GPL licence kodi is created upon. Together with some other code it makes it GPLv3 which is not allowed to be locked down in any way.
Also you are not allowed to use the "Kodi" or "xbmc" in whatever way if you are doing customisation without our explicit approval.
Personally I couldn't care less that you lost money as in 99.9999% you are likely only using it for piracy purpose.
Talk about Violation of everything Kodi and Open Source projects stand for.

@4scottbizpro, you and your partners are nothing better than a blood sucking leaches trying to profiting off code produced by a whole bunch of Skilled Kodi developers. You should actually be ashamed of yourself, and deserve all the Fire and Brimstone that comes your way. Sad
(2015-08-03, 07:04)4scottbizpro Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if my previous reply posted as I am not seeing it in the thread.

I was simply asking a question on behalf of my my partners and dealers, if there
was a way to protect our build on our Android boxes. Then Ned Scott got sarcastic
regarding my post bringing up my mother and my build is shit, which I consider
inappropriate behavior on a professional forum. I have many dealers selling many
streaming boxes, so where Ted Scott comes off with his crazy talk is beyond me. LOL

I talk to my mother several times a week. LOL

An apology would be appropriate if you have any kind of "Soul" Ted Scott.

That is if you have any kind of heart or conscious.

@4scottpizpro, I have personally banned "Ted Scott". That guy was an asshole. I'm sure he wasn't "conscious" at the time, so I had to drag him out.

You have many dealers selling many streaming boxes, but you don't understand the fundamentals of how Kodi works? What a crazy world we live in. Even if you could figure out how to "black box" Kodi, that would most likely be illegal. Kodi for Android is licensed under GPL v3 (v2 available if you do a custom compile with older SAMBA), so you would be violating the copyrights of several hundred people.

While we're at it, did you know that you are also violating the XBMC Foundation/Team Kodi trademark by modifying Kodi installs and not removing all references to Kodi and Kodi logos? If we ever find where you are selling your boxes, we will take every measure possible to shut you down. If you are selling on ebay, amazon, or listing yourself on any US owned company/website, we have the authority to shut you down. So while you're trying to figure out how to keep your secrets safe from others, do everyone a favor and remove any mention of Kodi, or else you'll see me get a lot more batshit insane.
(2015-08-03, 07:31)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]@4scottpizpro, I have personally banned "Ted Scott". That guy was an asshole. I'm sure he wasn't "conscious" at the time, so I had to drag him out.

That sucks. Ted Scott was my only friend on the forums. :-(
Big Grin
(2015-08-03, 06:05)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-03, 05:45)4scottbizpro Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,

I have spent much time and money having someone custom build me "a very customized skin (build) for my company with all the bells and whistles.... my concern is.... is there a way to prevent someone that knows a little about Kodi from coping (stealing) or backing up all my companies customized hard work? And then installing on other devices. Worst yet, another box reseller using my custom builds and installing on their boxes? Someone said I can password protect the part where you need to go and do a total backup, is this true? This is not part of the COMMUNITY BUILDS of TI.

There's nothing you can do. You didn't do jack shit in the first place. You are not a special snowflake. Your customizations are shit. I knew this the moment I looked into your soul.

Oh noes, someone is "stealing" your build set up to stream stolen videos!!11!1

You can't password protect it. It doesn't work that way. You can't lock it down. You don't know what you are doing. Your mom is disappointed in you. Why haven't you called her lately? She gave birth to you, you could at least call her every now and again.

Edited to include the original message I was replying to, and to remove an errant linebreak.
Can I get a refund for the beer I just spilled from laughing too hard?

:-)
Mikkel
I'm going to try and clear this original post with one more reply as I see this has gotten totally miscontrued.

My original question with pertaining to....

I am simply paying someone that is very good at using AEON NOX skin, to help customize addons on a indivual basis for families and friends. Most are not savvy at all when
it comes to Kodi. So we customize to each ones interest. We set up multiple profiles sometimes for each member of the family. So my concern was, if there was a way to protect
these personal profiles from being used by other people as some of these profiles are pre setup with usernames and passwords for subscription programming. Addons being used are from this site.
Based on what I have just shared, all previous replies do not apply to me. Sorry for any confusion this has caused. I am a 100% Kodi supporter!
Now you've gone full retard.
I stumbled across this here and I really have to admit this is the best post ever! Well done all contributors!