Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Full or limited color range on nVidia ION?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using latest OpenElec with ION gpu, connected to a Panasonic plasma screen. Now I'm really confused if I should use full or limited color range in Kodi? I'm not even sure if my tv is capable of full or not? There are no such settings in the menu.
Until now, it was full, if I turn limited on in Kodi, everything looks brighter, not sure if it is washed out or good, as I really got used to the full range.
I read a lot about this, but just more confused?
Just my experience on a samsung which have a full color range option.
If i enable both full range on the tv and in kodi i also get a brighter interface. Blacks are not crunched anymore. I got the same result when enbling low range on both devices. But if one of the two doesn't match the other i got crunched black, so my guess is your setup is ok.
(2015-08-03, 21:21)gurabli Wrote: [ -> ]Until now, it was full, if I turn limited on in Kodi, everything looks brighter, not sure if it is washed out or good, as I really got used to the full range.
Why not find out? Download the AVSHD709 test patterns (MP4 version) and the PDF instruction manual, and follow instructions in "basic settings".

Somewhat educated guess: you'll want to set limited range in Kodi
(2015-08-03, 21:21)gurabli Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using latest OpenElec with ION gpu, connected to a Panasonic plasma screen. Now I'm really confused if I should use full or limited color range in Kodi? I'm not even sure if my tv is capable of full or not? There are no such settings in the menu.
Until now, it was full, if I turn limited on in Kodi, everything looks brighter, not sure if it is washed out or good, as I really got used to the full range.
I read a lot about this, but just more confused?

If you are watching content and your blacks look a milky grey (often called 'set up' or 'sat up'), and your colours look 'washed out' that suggests that your output is limited range, but your display is expecting full range OR you have both your GPU drivers AND Kodi running Limited range (you only need it enabled in one or the other) In other words your black level is higher than it should be for your display. Beware - if your GPU is running in Limited range you DON'T need to select 16-235 Limited Range in Kodi.

If you are watching content and you think you have lost detail in dark areas and bright areas of the, and colours look a little too colourful, or oversaturated, that suggests you have output full range content to a display that is expecting limited range video. You are therefore crushing blacks and clipping whites.

(Almost all HDMI TVs will default to Limited Range - as that is the core HDMI default standard - and is what Blu-ray and DVD players, Cable and Satellite set top boxes etc. will default to. Broadcast and pre-recorded video is mastered and originated in Limited Range.)

If you have a PLUGE (Picture Line Up GEnerator) video file - that will really help you.
My friends pana vt30 plasma does not support rgb full. Tried with both a PS4 and Windows (amd gpu).
I have no experience with OE on ION, but my guess is that it defaults to limited. (Although I think it can be overridden in xorg.conf) In that case, the internal Kodi RGB setting should be full. If you turn this to limited, then you will actually get limited times 2. Very seldom do you actually need to mess with the internal RGB setting.