Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do update to Kodi 15 (isengard) on RPi2 with OpenElec
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a guide somewhere? Total noob question, I know.

n
Sorry to be dumb. I'm also trying to update kodi. I've
1) Download v15 tar.gz file
2) unzipped it to a .tar file (although windows shows it as a .tar file folder, not a file)
3) Copied it into update folder on my pi
4) Rebooted

Sadly, nothing happens. It all just stays in the update folder and stays stubbornly stuck at v14.2. Have I done something wrong (well obviously, but what!). I am correct that openelec and kodi need separate updates?

It's driving me mad!
update- finally got it to start updating...but then fails with 'missing kernel'. Not sure what I've done wrong here?
(2015-08-19, 11:31)Stonster Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to be dumb. I'm also trying to update kodi. I've
1) Download v15 tar.gz file
2) unzipped it to a .tar file (although windows shows it as a .tar file folder, not a file)
3) Copied it into update folder on my pi
4) Rebooted

What file are you downloading - tar.gz files haven't been distributed for quite a while now, certainly not official releases, or those from myself or popcornmix.

If you want the latest OpenELEC Isengard build, try the unofficial build in the following thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=234678
I think Stonster's problem is that if you open the Google Drive link to the tar file it presents itself as a folder structure. If you click on the top level folder it will show you a tar.gz file inside.

What you need to do after opening the Google Drive link is click on the downward-facing arrow in the black bar at the top to download the complete tar file.
Thanks Millhouse. I haven't exactly figured out how to "see" the file system on my RPi2 from my PC yet though. Do I need to enable something in openelec so it can be seen on the network? My RPi is connected wirelessly to my router.
(2015-08-20, 20:39)nixter Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Millhouse. I haven't exactly figured out how to "see" the file system on my RPi2 from my PC yet though. Do I need to enable something in openelec so it can be seen on the network? My RPi is connected wirelessly to my router.

Nothing to enable - just enter the IP address of your Pi in File Explorer:

Thank you
So close....

Ok so I got the .tar into the update folder. Rebooted and it started extracting but then said "missing kernel or system" and then booted normally into 14.x
What is the exact name of the tar file you are copying into the Update folder?
xbmc-15.1-Isengard.tar

Copied it from my pc. My RPi2 is now listed as a device on my network in windows
Is this even an OpenELEC (or RPi2) tar file - where are you downloading it from? My suspicion is that it is neither an OpenELEC or RPi2 tar file.

If you want the latest OpenELEC Kodi Isengard build, download the Pi2 tar file from @popcornmix's thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=234678 and copy it into the Update folder.
milhouse.build.0816b.tar

I dropped that in the update folder but got the exact same error when i rebooted
Jesus, no. How hard can this be? Download the whole tar file in the above thread, don't extract anything from it. It should be about 120MB in size.
Pages: 1 2