Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc_env.properties ignored on xperia Z2 tablet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I tried setting the path to my kodi data on my xperia z2 tablet, but xbmc_env.properties seems to be completely ignored. It is in /sdcard, and the contents are "xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard/xbmc", however kodi still creates the folder "files/.kodi" under "/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi", and /storage/sdcard/xbmc" stays empty.
In the log I can see that special://home/ is mapped to "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi".
How can I troubleshoot this?
Just to be sure, is the xbmc_env.properties file a plain text file, and not a rich text file or other format? Sometimes text editors like to default to something other than plain text. I've had this happen to me once when an OS update reset my text editor's preferences, which I did not expect.
Plain text, edited with vi in a terminal to make sure. Smile

I forgot to add, that both /storage/sdcard/ and /sdcard/ point to the exact same place.
I avoided that by trying (for now) to use the internal sdcard. The external, which Google broke with Kitkat, is /sdcard1/.

Anyway, the tablet is running lollipop, and I can always use an xposed module to give back full access to all the external sd. But I wanted first to troubleshoot this without any extraneous issue.
You manually created the xbmc folder, right?
(2015-08-06, 08:27)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]You manually created the xbmc folder, right?

Yes. I also tried with it empty and with a .kodi folder inside.
Any ideas on this? I've since had a firmware upgrade, and a couple kodi upgrades, but still the xbmc_env.properties file seems to be ignored.
I've also tried SPMC to see if it made any difference, but no. - correction - SPMC uses the correct folder, but with .xbmc instead of .kodi, that is why I didn't think it was working. Seems like the patch adding support for xbmc_env.properties hasn't been added to kodi.
/feeling dumb - SPMC in the playstore is Gotham, so I am downloading Isengard now and will see if it works.
Ok, SPMC Isengard also ignores the xbmc_env.properties file on the Sony Xperia Z2 Tab.
It just creates a .spmc dir under /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files. Gothan SPMC (the one in the play store) would use the xbmc.data setting, and would create a .xbmc folder under it.
Check the editor that built the "xbmc_env.properties" file.

Some android editor could generate the problem you describe. Confused

A simple solution is the following:
1) Use notepad on Windows O.S. to write your file and save it as default (I think it is ANSI coding).
2) At this point you got "xbmc_env.properties.txt", so Import this file on your tablet on its internal memory (on its root: /sdcard/).
3) Finally rename the file with the file manger of your tablet removing the ".txt" suffix.

If after this procedure, Kodi starts to give you a black screen on start it is the sign it reads the configuration file but it has not the permission to write to your SD card yet. This problem is common on Android Kitkat tablet/Phone. To solve this last incovenience you have to give authorizations to apps, and in Kitkat systems it means using program like SDFIX on Rooted machine. I think Lollipop has an internal application to give this kind of authorization now, but I haven't one, so I cannot confirm.
Thank you A_Storm_11, but if you read my message above you would have seen I even edited the file with vi on terminal to make sure it was properly formatted, so that wasn't the issue.

Anyway, yesterday I found what the problem was - I was going to the task list to relaunch kodi/spmc after changing xbmc_env.properties. In that case, it gets ignored, even if kodi gave me the startup screen before the interface.

Yesterday I was trying again to see if I could find the issue, and noticed that I had not launched kodi from the desktop/app folder icon, so I did just that. And when either is launched from the desktop icon, xbmc_env.properties is respected and the right profile gets loaded.