Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cache files filling up Android Box Memory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks,

I am in desperate need for an answer today. I've been loading Kodi Isengard 15 stable on Beelink i828 boxes. Everything seems fine until the temp files start loading up with filecache000.cache files. It doesn't seem to take long to completely fill up the memory (5GB) and freeze out everything else.

Every box has been the same, some with just a few cache files and others with over 30 cache files.

I haven't noticed this on other brands of TV Box devices. Is it possible that the Beelink i828 isn't compatible with some portions of Kodi?

What do I have to do to stop Kodi from storing these cache filesHuh Is there a setting in Kodi, or a switch?

Thanks so much in advance.

HDChaz
Don't use any "zero cache" setting or option. When that option is used on low-memory devices such as yours, Kodi just fills up the internal space and crashes out, which prevents it from cleaning up the old files. Obviously, helping to prevent that and making it so Kodi can still clean up those files after a crash is on the Kodi to-do list, but right now those cache settings are very advanced and experimental. Don't enable such options unless you know what they do. They shouldn't even have a GUI option, because Kodi normally requires you to edit a text file to enable it, specifically because it is experimental and can cause situations like this.
Ned,
Thanks for the quick reply. That's the first thing we looked at. Unfortunately it seems that the boxes are filling up the memory even without the "Zero Cache" option activated. If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to the advanced.xml file under Maintenance --> System Tweaks --> Zero CacheHuh

I'm hoping that it's just people activating this without my knowing. Is there somewhere I can check to see if it's been activated? Where would I find the information from the advanced.xml file? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Again
HDChaz
You can use the file manager (wiki) to see if you have an advancedsettings.xml file under the "profile" folder. If so, delete it using the file manager. That will restore the default settings.
Ned,

I'm trying this solution as we speak. I'll know in a few minutes if it works out,

And the verdict is that for now, it seems to have stopped the filecache000.cache placement in the temp file. I'll report back after I've had an opportunity to play a longer video.

Ned --> You the MAN!!!

Thanks
HDChaz
In addition, Consider expanding memory available to Kodi by using and external plug in memory such as a usb drive or sdi card.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data...or_Android
I'd just like to report back on this subject and you can close the thread.

We followed Ned's advice and found the sneaky file hiding in the user profile just like he said.

Once we deleted the advancedsettings.xml file the devices all stopped caching video in the Temp File.

Everything is now operating normally. Just one further piece of advice; As Ned said earlier - Do not mess around with the advancedsettings.xml file unless you are completely aware of what your changes are going to do. In our case, early on, we thought that we could prevent buffering using this command but instead, we ended up bricking our boxes to the point where they all needed reloads.

Thanks once again Ned. You saved our bacon.

HDChaz