Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to stop Kodi indexing/scraping certain folders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have managed to get every movie I have to scrape, but I have 2 or 3 folders of "extras" which I want to keep, but Kodi can't index...

Is there a way to stop Kodi from indexing certain folders? I have seen a few Youtube videos giving solutions, but in truth, they don't look right to me.. I am sure there is a cleaner way to do this.

I thought I had a solution.. I am indexing my entire "MOVIE" folder on my NAS.. So I drilled down (under VIDEO -> FILES) into my 'movie' folder and down to the one that I don't want to index.. I then selected "Change Content" and de-selected the "Index this folder" button.. I assumed/hoped this would do it.. But I guess the fact that I am indexings its Parents, parents, parent folder (i.e "Movies") over-rides this.

Is there any way I can stop a given file or folder from indexing?

Jon
Ignore this.. Found the wiki which gives some solutions.
none of this is working for me..

I am using the "Missing Movies" add-on to detect non-indexed files.. And this keeps throwing up the same 49 files.. I have done everything from the Wiki, and am now sure that Kodi is not trying to index them (reason being that I don't see them pop up any more at the top when its detecting new media)...

So I have a feeling that this is simply down to the way that this add-on works.. Its not a problem, but it makes looking for missing movies harder than it needs to be.

I only have 3 folders.. I am tempted to either move them somewhere else.. Or just delete them, after all, I am probably never going to watch them.

Jon

PS.. One of the suggestions in the Wiki is to create a ".nomedia" file.. it goes on to say "Note: Windows users should name the file .nomedia.".. I am struggling with this as ".nomedia." is not a valid windows file name.. You can't have the dot after the word, as it sees this as a null extension.
The Missing Movies add-on probably doesn't know which directories to ignore. The only thing ignoring those directories is the actual Kodi library scan.

Naming the file ".nomedia." is a trick that makes Windows name it ".nomedia":

(2015-07-16, 09:49)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10744...gnore-file it's still perfectly possible to create dot files though. E.g naming it ".nomedia." (two dots) and it should automatically rename it to ".nomedia" Something to add to the wiki?
(2015-08-08, 08:29)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The Missing Movies add-on probably doesn't know which directories to ignore. The only thing ignoring those directories is the actual Kodi library scan.

Naming the file ".nomedia." is a trick that makes Windows name it ".nomedia":

(2015-07-16, 09:49)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10744...gnore-file it's still perfectly possible to create dot files though. E.g naming it ".nomedia." (two dots) and it should automatically rename it to ".nomedia" Something to add to the wiki?

Cheers.. My OCD is going crazy so I have moved all my "extras" out to another folder which I won't index... Sorted.

I think it would be useful to explain the ".nomedia." trick on the wiki.. I spent ages trying to get the extra '.' and ended up with a file called ".nomedia" and its now clear that this was all i was trying to achive... So it might be worth explaining that you need a ".nomedia" file.. But to create it in Windows you have to do ".nomedia."

Jon
Yep, I expanded the note on the wiki to clarify it after you mentioned it :)
(2015-08-08, 12:53)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, I expanded the note on the wiki to clarify it after you mentioned it Smile

Cheers Ned.. Thanks for all your help.. I am on a huge learning curve.