Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodibuntu Isengard release?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sorry if this was asked before, but I have not been able to find anything on the subject.

Will there be a release of Kodibuntu with Isengard preinstalled?
Just update kodibuntu after it is installed.
And the answer is: No

install, sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -> done.
Is there a technical reson behind this?

Just curious, as it seems a bit user-unfriendly to not offer the latest release as your in-house distro.
If someone decides to go the kodibuntu way, I guess he has used it before Isengard, already. In this case, the user might have set things up, did chnages here and there on the os side and maybe install special things. So a update and dist-upgrade is very user friendly to get the new version instead of doing a fresh install.

Kodibuntu for Isengard is based on the same OS as Kodibuntu for Helix. Gotham was based on 12.04. So there was an OS change between those versions. So in the case that the OS won't change, I guess there is no reason to package everything in a new Live distro. Doing a single command isn't user unfriendly in my eyes.

Think of the work which has to be done to provide (and support) a complete new distro. The existing one works fine...so why change it? Wink
(2015-08-13, 19:44)costi Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a technical reson behind this?

Just curious, as it seems a bit user-unfriendly to not offer the latest release as your in-house distro.

Quite easy: 14.04 LTS is still the base. As you need to upgrade the distro after installation anyways -> kodi packages are installed in one go ...

For user friendlyness without package installation burdon, check www.openelec.tv
I tried openelec, didn't like it. It's a nice idea, but the closed structure of the OS kills it for me (mostly because I need a normal browser for youtube playlists).

(2015-08-13, 21:21)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]If someone decides to go the kodibuntu way, I guess he has used it before Isengard, already. In this case, the user might have set things up, did chnages here and there on the os side and maybe install special things. So a update and dist-upgrade is very user friendly to get the new version instead of doing a fresh install.

Kodibuntu for Isengard is based on the same OS as Kodibuntu for Helix. Gotham was based on 12.04. So there was an OS change between those versions. So in the case that the OS won't change, I guess there is no reason to package everything in a new Live distro. Doing a single command isn't user unfriendly in my eyes.

Think of the work which has to be done to provide (and support) a complete new distro. The existing one works fine...so why change it? Wink
The Kodibuntu release is not for existing users IMHO - they already have the OS and only need to update Kodi. However, when someone is setting up a new system, they'll grab Kodibuntu.
That's why I think it would be nice to have the latest version out of the box, so to speak.
you made your point, we made ours. Its simple too much effort to save the user to input two commands that he should do in any case to get all the latest ubuntu security updates.
A different question, if I may: are nvidia drivers provided in the .iso or do I need to install them manually?
I tried to do the update of kodibuntu as described in the wiki and FAQ. Many times.

During the upgrade, the root filesystem fills up so that the dist-upgrade fails. The USB key has plenty of space - 16 GB, it's root that fills up. Its size is 1.9GB and after the upgrade fails it has 26MB. /dev/sda1 has 14GB free.

Is there a workaround for this? Options, maybe? Are the replaced packages being backed up? It seems the dist-update needs a lot of space and the root filesystem just doesn't have enough.

How do I make root bigger? I can unsquash the filesystem. Then what do I do? Specify a new size when I compress it? Squashfs doesn't seem to have any arguments for doing that.

So, anyway - it's not as simple as one would think based on the upgrade instructions - they just don't work for kodibuntu.
sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove
Here is what I've learned so far...

If you do the:
sudo apt-get upgrade
it fails as warned in the FAQ

But, and this is key, you need to recreate your kodibuntu media and start from the beginning again and this time use:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
instead of:
sudo apt-get upgrade
You can't do this if you have already done the upgrade because the system is already borked.

This works much better and completes to 95% but then it says it's creating ssh2 key and then:
ssh stop/waiting
and, it never continues from there. Even after one or two hours, it never gets any further than that.

So what is this new problem? I am doing the dist-upgrade by using ctrl-alt-f1 to get a shell. Is this the correct environment?
don't use the ctrl-alt-f1 way.

Try to SSH (wiki) in and do it from there.
Dont take this the wrong way....

You dont need to reinstall Kodibuntu v14 just to only upgrade kodi from V14 to v15, thats just silly.
As I understand it, you are starting the install on the machine and then moving to another machine via SSH to finalize the distro installation.

Continuing the Kodibuntu / Ubuntu installation from SSH is not for beginners, even if its not that complicated, I suggest you dont do that unless you know what you're doing and if you insist on doing it, then RTFM and or go ask Ubuntu for support on this.

Just install Kodibuntu normally on that machine, then just upgrade Kodi and enjoy, dont try to be smart and use advanced installation methods if are not capable of following the instructions presented onscreen by the installer.
uNiversal: I do know what I'm doing - I do linux sys admin for a living, but with redhat, fedora, and centos.

I'm not installing kodibuntu, I'm experimenting with booting and running it from a usb key to be able to give it to friends so that they can use it without installing anything or modifying their existing systems.

David1977: Thanks for your reply! I'll try that today.
Pages: 1 2 3