Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: moving from Apple TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I'm moving from Apple TV2 as I'm sure many will now that it's no longer supported by Kodi.
I've looked at many of the threads but they get confusing with so many options
So I thought I'd describe what I'm looking for in hope that if enough people make the same suggestion it'd be a safe way to go.
As I said I run my ATV2 with Kodi on it through HDMI cable.
I plan on keeping the ATV2, probably not jail broken now, to keep Netflix et al...
So the only thing I need is a box that will run Kodi at the highest resolution possible for a reasonable price (I could spend up to $250)
I'm no computer genius, and I use a Macs, but I know how to follow directions so a bit of an installation curve is not a huge deal.
In summary, looking for the best combination of quality / peace of mind.
Looking forward to your inputs, and if I missed a thread that addresses that exact situation, be kind enough to direct me to it.
Thanks
Chromebox
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)

But in reality, there are too many options, it all comes down to your requirements.

Popular devices seem to be the Pi2, Chromebox, Zotac BI320, HP stream mini, HP 260 G1, Nvidia Shield, AFTV (I love mine!!!). All have threads out there.
Minix x8h-plus. Dual band wifi, 1Gb ethernet, can stream 4K vid, hardware decoding. Shld sell around usd200 (only know of eur price, which is well below eur200)
Thank you for your replies. On the Minix forum they raise an issue of compatibility with Kodi future video formats, something about decoding being software based on the Android platform.
Is that something that I should be concerned about since the Minix seems already lightyears ahead of the ATV2 performance or should I not concern myself with that?
I guess I'm hesitating between the Minix and the Asus Chromebox.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
I don't know what they are on about regarding video formats with the AMlogic S812 in the X8H-Plus. It is fully capable.

Chromebox = a super fast SSD + HD Audio Passthrough, no 4K/1080p HEVC hardware decoding tho. No remote control > just buy a FLIRC usb. Runs Kodi / OpenELEC very very well.

MINIX NEO X8H-Plus = nice integrated device that primarily runs Android 4.4.2. There are some unofficial OpenELEC versions about.
http://amlinux.ru/target/
Experimental HD Audio if you pay $15 per year. Still does 5.1 DTS/AC3 audio passthrough. 4K/1080p HEVC Hardware decoding, this is good for Kodi going forward. The device is virtually plug and play. Great support from MINIX.
Note: Netflix and other paid DRM streaming services in MINIX / Android are limited to 720x480p resolution. Not HD.
Minix are official sponsor or sth of kodi. I cant see them become incompatible
The Minix sounds like a pretty trouble free way to go. And as far as Netflix, etc... I plan on keeping my ATV2 which does the Netflix in HD
so I'm mostly looking for a Kodi box really. And with the extra storage I should be able to transfer my DVD collection when time allows so it sounds perfect. I guess I found my solution. Thanks to all for your expertise and kindness in replying.
I cannot find any info about the Experimental HD Audio mentioned by wrxtasy. Is it an external device that you plug into the Minix? Is it an internal mod? I understand there is a yearly fee but I can't seem to find information about the device or is it an app?
Thanks
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and I'm leaning towards the MINIX NEO X8H-Plus with VIDon installed over the Chromebox.
Any objection from the experts? :-)
Going once...
Incidentally, none of you mentioned the vidon box so I assume it's no match for the Minix right?
We try and not mention Vidon here on the forums after a whole bunch of shit went down earlier in the year. They were discontinued as a forum Sponsor as well in the end.
(2015-08-14, 08:57)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]We try and not mention Vidon here on the forums after a whole bunch of shit went down earlier in the year. They were discontinued as a forum Sponsor as well in the end.

Oh ok. Sticking to my Minix plan then. Thanks to all that got involved in my maiden voyage outside of Apple land.
(2015-08-14, 14:43)flyingfrog1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-14, 08:57)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]We try and not mention Vidon here on the forums after a whole bunch of shit went down earlier in the year. They were discontinued as a forum Sponsor as well in the end.

Oh ok. Sticking to my Minix plan then. Thanks to all that got involved in my maiden voyage outside of Apple land.

Keep us posted on your experiences w d minix box
Will do.