Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow channel switch compared to VLC for windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the reality I can see when trying to stream Live TV from udp/rtp multicast streamer. (ex. udp://224.2.2.2:1234)

I have seen lots of threads talking about this issue but there has been no luck finding an answer. From other threads I understood that maybe some parameters were needed by ffmpeg to start the stream fast. I've used ffmpeg command line and yes it worked. From 5 seconds it turned to maybe 1. This is easy to notice in kodi's log file because it was trying to get that values that five seconds.

But what really surprised me was VLC for windows WITHOUT ANY PARAMETER! It took aprox. 0.7 seconds to start or maybe less, I would say it was almost instant to human eye! (I tried to capture it with slow motion camera). I'm really new to everything related to this and probably I'm wrong, but if VLC use the ffmpeg libraries and both are opensource, it is possible to implement VLC setup to stream live streams (UDP and RTP are both as fast) in Kodi?

I really have no idea on how to do this but I've read some people like fernetmenta and others which really know about this.

So.. To sum up, is this possible? Is this easy for experienced developers? Is there any chance someone wants to try this? haha Tongue

Thank you!!

PS: I don't know if this is the correct plave to ask this (I don't know if there is a general PVR Thread but as I tried Simple client (and fernetmenta posted related to this in some threads I posted it here ).
hi terry13, Can you explain what are the commands to be sent to speed up the start of the channels? Thanks
(2015-08-13, 20:10)luigidm91 Wrote: [ -> ]hi terry13, Can you explain what are the commands to be sent to speed up the start of the channels? Thanks

Hi luigi! To reduce the start-up time to begin watching a program I found is essential to reduce:
analize duration from default value of 5sec to 20milliseconds.
also reduce probesize to 2 frames.

ffplay -loglevel verbose udp://224.2.2.1:3001 -f mpegts -codec:a:0 ac3 -stats -codec:v:1 h264 -analyzeduration 20 -fpsprobesize 2

Hope this helpsTongue
Any help on my issue? Maybe it will be better to look on vlc forums? Thanks!!
i am having the same problem,
i use a paid IPTV service,
when playing the m3u list through VLC, each channel starts immidietly after clicking.
when using the list through IPTV simple, it takes more than 20 sec after clicking for every channel,
when using playlist loader it takes even more...
(2015-08-14, 08:41)terry13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-13, 20:10)luigidm91 Wrote: [ -> ]hi terry13, Can you explain what are the commands to be sent to speed up the start of the channels? Thanks

Hi luigi! To reduce the start-up time to begin watching a program I found is essential to reduce:
analize duration from default value of 5sec to 20milliseconds.
also reduce probesize to 2 frames.

ffplay -loglevel verbose udp://224.2.2.1:3001 -f mpegts -codec:a:0 ac3 -stats -codec:v:1 h264 -analyzeduration 20 -fpsprobesize 2

Hope this helpsTongue
Would you be so kind and help me understand how to do this on a raspberry pi?
thanks!