Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Just got rid of virgin media tv, looking for a better solution.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got rid of virgin media tv as there was very little I watched aside BBC, ITV and channel 4. I currently have an android box for xbmc and was going to buy a freesat/freeview receiver to record watch terrestrial tv. Is there anything that could combine the 2?

I basically want a box that can record / series link terrestrial tv and let me fire up xbmc / showbox for movies etc.

It needs to be simple enough for the whole family to use and have the ability to series links tv. Really I want to avoid having to build a PC to do this and use an android box if possible.

Any suggestions?
You can certainly run TV Headend with a DVB-T/T2 (for Freeview HD) or DVB-S/S2 (for Freesat HD) on a Raspberry Pi 2 or similar along with Kodi and the PVR plugins. Works quite well. You'll probably need an external USB HDD for PVR recording.
I'd prefer an android solution rather than raspberry pi. On a related note, does kodi support series link?
If I wanted to record and watch a different channel or record two shows at once, will I need some sort dual lnb on my sat/freeview aerial ?
What about the openelec / wetek box. They come with built in tuners and can run either android or openelec
(2015-08-19, 23:29)totalitarian Wrote: [ -> ]I'd prefer an android solution rather than raspberry pi. On a related note, does kodi support series link?
Android trickier - though there are boxes with DVB-S2/T2 integrated tuners, they don't always integrate with Kodi, so you have to switch to a (often not very good) separate player app for TV viewing.
Quote:If I wanted to record and watch a different channel or record two shows at once, will I need some sort dual lnb on my sat/freeview aerial ?

Yes - for DVB-S/S2 you need an LNB feed per tuner (as the LNB only sends a 1/4 of the frequencies down the cable and is remotely switched by the tuner to the right 1/4) Some solutions are clever and will only use one tuner for multiple services on the same transponder, but to guarantee to be able to watch one channel and record a different one, you need two tuners AND two LNB feeds.

For Freeview HD you can just split a single aerial feed between multiple tuners.