Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RESOLVED] Updated last night, now Kodi won't run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all. I had my htpc running beautifully for a while using the linux download off the site and last night I got a popup that there was a newer supported version. I opened a terminal and did a apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade. This evening while watching a movie, the screensaver wouldn't turn off and on reboot kodi won't load.

I've tried what little I could think of, to no avail. When I try to run it manually from the terminal I get the following error

/usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr: Failed to get size of gama for output default
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing from display ":0"
segmentation fault (core dumped)
crash report is posted at http://pastebin.com/wZ1Y014b

any and all help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Ran into a similar problem and it was because the ssd KodiBuntu was installed on was full. Probably not your problem, but if you still have access to terminal a df -h would tell you.
worth a shot, but not this time.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/live--vg-root 455G 34G 398G 8% /
Your GPU drivers are not correctly installed. If you run nvidia card, make sure a supported binary nvidia-driver is installed.
(2015-08-20, 06:59)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU drivers are not correctly installed. If you run nvidia card, make sure a supported binary nvidia-driver is installed.

Sorry, forgot to set notifications on the thread. Thanks for the reply.

It was working perfectly fine the day before. Would installing the newer version of Kodi have broken that? The lubuntu desktop loads and works fine still, if that influences the answer any...
You probably used the binary package from Nvidia (which is wrong btw) that doesnt install dkms modules to self rebuild for new kernel upgrades.

Yesterday your old kernel worked, so either reboot to that kernel or use the pkg.run --unistall and use a sane ppa with nvidia drivers that wont give you this issue ever

For instance https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/...ubuntu/ppa or mine https://launchpad.net/~universal/+archiv...ia-updates (I keep it up-to-date) with related and required packages only so they dont break a whole system
(2015-08-23, 03:25)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]You probably used the binary package from Nvidia (which is wrong btw) that doesnt install dkms modules to self rebuild for new kernel upgrades.

I installed using the kodibuntu download. whatever drivers were installed there are what I was using....

I'll give your PPA a shot tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Thanks
Sure, I only mentioned it because there was a guy on IRC with exactly this issue (same exact error) and he was using binary pkg.run

If reinstalling the existing drivers via what Kodibuntu/Ubuntu has doesn't fix it, then try the PPA.
I just had a sec to check it; nvidia-304 is what is currently installed. Should I remove that and install 355 via your PPA?
Reinstall what you have to fix any potential issues and reinstall any missing libs, then if it works OK you can decide to use my PPA if you think you would benefit from updated drivers.

I would not go adding any PPA before you current state of drivers is fixed.
I tried the following this morning:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
sudo apt-get install nvidia-304
sudo reboot now

and noticed the following error in the output, if that is a clue:

Loading new nvidia-304-304.125 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
It is likely that 3.13.0-55-generic belongs to a chroot's host
Building only for 3.13.0-62-generic

In the end, trying to run Kodi yields the exact same error message as in the OP
I dont see an error on that output, and why oh why are you installing intel stuff?

So wait you are running Kodibuntu on a chrooted environment? Weird.
If thats it then you have to rebuild the drivers inside the chrooted env else nothing is going to happen.

If you are not or dont have a clew, then ask whoever setup your install, its definitely weird.
I did the install. I used the downloaded the kodibuntu image from the kodi website, burned it to disc, and installed it using all the default settings... none of this SHOULD be weird, none of it was tinkered with or modified from default.

I installed the intel stuff just now because I couldn't think of anything else and I was following http://askubuntu.com/questions/80914/how...cs-drivers
I installed the intel driver because it was late, I was tired and i was frustrated and I wasn't paying attention. Here's the score, and I hope I don't come off as rude or angry because I'm not.

As I mentioned, this was an install straight from the Kodi website using the Kobibuntu 15 download link. No fancy shenanigans, all installed using the default settings. I naturally played with some settings inside Kodi to set up the libraries, add-ons, themes, and such, then ran a weekly update/dist-upgrade and that was it. Whatever was changed [other than my idiot intel blunder just now] was in that update/upgrade cycle. If it is looking for a chroot environment, that is either because it always has or because one of the updates that ran made it so. It isn't something I set it up to do. When I got a popup in Kodi saying there was a new version, I clicked ok, opened a terminal and used the same "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y" that I always used. I really don't know what else to do here short of nuking the system and reinstalling everything.

Again, I don't intent to come off as angry or rude or accusatory or anything like that... just a little frustrated that I can't figure it out. Any and all suggestions are still appreciated and I'll hold off on the blind copypasta before I make it worse than it already is.
Not rude at all, or accusatory, personally I understand any frustration but what I dont understand is how any default install would end up in some chroot as it seems to indicate.

From my side I would look into removing this chroot. What it seems to me is the drivers are broken inside this chroot environment and there they must be fixed. (plenty of info on intrawebs).

Perhaps someone else would like to share some wisdom here, but personally I dont understand how you ended up here.
Pages: 1 2