Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 15 change to network buffer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since updating kodi to 15.0 (and 15.1, and 16.0 alpha) from 14.2 I've had issues watching tv with the HDHomeRun video add-on. It does not appear to be a HDHR issue so I've decided to post my problem here.

A problem with HDHR in general is that it sometimes drops out for a few seconds or becomes very weak. This is a semi-common issue I see on the SiliconDust forums. Now, in 14.2 this would be handled by pausing the stream and I'd see 'buffering' with a percentage. when it got to 100 I'd get some skips in the stream then it would be playing live. I'd miss a few seconds of TV but everything played smoothly other than those pauses. In 15.0 the video tries to continue playing and never pauses, but I get horrible pixelation in the stream and audio cuts in and out. This generally lasts much longer than the simple pause did before, I'm guessing because kodi is trying to keep up with the live stream.

So I guess my question is did something change in the way kodi buffers network streams (I'm also assuming HDHR over my local network is considered a network stream), and is there something I can change in settings or advancedsettings to help this? I updated my main machine to 15.1 and it has been horrible as I have to exit out of the plugin and restart it to reset the cache and have the video play normally (this is typically much faster than 'waiting it out' when the video goes bad). I have tested 15.0 and 15.1 on windows 10 as well as 15.1 and 16.0 alpha on android and all give me these issues. 14.2 on windows 10 and 14.2 on android both work as I described above; it pauses the stream for a few moments then jumps back to live. Is there anything I can do to regain this functionality? I can't stay on 14.2 forever, but the livetv experience on it is so far ahead of 15 onward...
I think HDHomeRun tuners always use HTTP (even when using UPnP), and I do believe something did change. It might even be related to the whole non-seeking stream issue that is causing problems when using HDHomeRun over UPnP. I'm not sure what the next step is to troubleshoot this, but I'll see who I can poke about it.
Thank you very much for looking into it. WMC handles it the same was as kodi 14 and now that WMC is going away and kodi 14 is becoming more and more outdated I'm worried I'll never have this functionality back. I've looked into portable installations of kodi, various pvr backends, and outright downgrading, but I've never been successful in getting back to this preferred way of handling the streams.
Same problem here. Your best best is to stick to release 14.2 as it is the only one not exhibiting that problem. I have contacted support unfortunately theya re still working on improving the HDHomeRun VIEW Application for android devices.

What device do you experience the buffering on?

What profile do you have the HDHomeRun set to (Default,Heavy,Mobile,etc) ?
Just wanted to post here as this seemed the most logical location.

Running 15.2, if one of the signal drop outs occurs the video may glitch along with audio and then return. This is acceptable; however, very often the audio never comes back. The only way to regain audio is to pause the stream or change channels.

Is it confirmed that this behavior does not exist in 14.2? Before I upgraded I was using Frodo so I could live with the devil I knew.

Can we expect this behavior to be resolved in Jarvis?
(2015-12-06, 15:13)blazin912 Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to post here as this seemed the most logical location.

Running 15.2, if one of the signal drop outs occurs the video may glitch along with audio and then return. This is acceptable; however, very often the audio never comes back. The only way to regain audio is to pause the stream or change channels.

Is it confirmed that this behavior does not exist in 14.2? Before I upgraded I was using Frodo so I could live with the devil I knew.

I've seen this happen on 15.2 on my x86 OpenELEC box, but not my Amlogic/ARM OpenELEC box or on Android. Very weird and annoying ;)

I'll test with v16 beta and see if it is any better.
(2015-12-07, 01:27)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-06, 15:13)blazin912 Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to post here as this seemed the most logical location.

I've seen this happen on 15.2 on my x86 OpenELEC box, but not my Amlogic/ARM OpenELEC box or on Android. Very weird and annoying Wink

I'll test with v16 beta and see if it is any better.

Thanks.. I suppose once Jarvis moves out of beta I'll upgrade as well and begin the testing too. Hard to say if its fixed or not unless I go up and start messing with my antenna to intentionally create bad signal strength.. Rofl
I use to get intermittent loss of audio with the HDHR app. I changed the video acceleration from MMAL to OMXPlayer on my Pi 2 and it has been fine since.