Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Android] Folder Thumbnail Support Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any help would be much appreciated,

I got an Android Box for my TV and i am streaming my Seagate 8tb home server to it to watch my movies. I organized my movies via genre (Action, Horror, Adventure etc.) so it is easy to locate. I would like for each genre folder to have a thumbnail so it would look nice but I tried everything and it is a no go. I had Wd media player before, and all i had to do was type "filename.metatumb" and it would worked fine. I read a couple forums here before i posted and tried .tbn, folder.jpg, file name.jpg but nothing seems to work. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall my source but no progress

Is there something i am doing wrong because i would figure it would be simple just to add a thumbnail to the folder before you open it. But If some one can help me it would be much appreciated

Thanks
http://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork#Folder_thumbnails

That will work in file view. If you scanned them into the library and are going to Genre, then it wont work. I honestly dont know how to change them in the library....prob different per skin
Thanks for the feed back. That is actually one of the first website instructions i followed and still no progress. I actually saved the JPG files in its individual folder on my hard drive, not the Android box so i don't know if that helps. Did you try to put thumbnails in your sub folders or did you skip the process all together? ....If yes how did you do it (if you don't mind)
not sure I am following correctly.

if you're just adding a source (not setting the content and not adding it to KODI's library) just browse your subfolders as you would on a computer's directory structure. of course it doesn't look pretty but it keeps things how you have them. as in you have your folder structures with genre subfolders which is how it sounds like you have it set.

if you add your collection to KODI's library then depending on your addons (helpers and information gatherers) KODI will scrape the metadata and classify the movies into categories itself. you can choose to browse by date, actors/actresses, and of course genre, along with some other browsing choices (can't remember them all). when KODI scrapes for metadata it will add the posters, thumbnails, and fanart. this is if you add it KODI's library. each skin might have a different way to access the choices but it should be in there somewhere. I've come across category selection options many times.

if you choose to just leave it as a non-scanned source I have no experimented with that so I can't say if you can manually add such things. seems like it would be quite the pain.

edit:
lol just noticed the Laughing Man icon. nice!
well appreciated. I got the part down for the movie thumbnails. All my movies have thumbnail (poster art like you stated) & metadata linked to them thanks to the Kodi movie & TV add-ons. But it was just my genre folders (where I keep my movies) I wanted to add a thumbnail to teach folder. It is really not a big deal just wanted to know if it was easy or step that i was missing.

thanks
Custom Genre artwork isn't supported, as far as I know. You'd normally need to replace this artwork in the skin.
I figured because I tried everything. Thanks.