Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advanced Launcher - Game Labeling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Windows (64Bit)
Kodi Gotham
Advanced Launcher (I am going to use AL in this post as an abbreviation)

I have run into a little problem with game name labeling that I was hoping to get some advice on.
I am aware that most of my problems are due to the fact that I really don't have the desire / huge need to use online scrapers. I would rather apply the basic setup information I need manually if possible.

1.) I have been thinking about getting into some MAME games but its filenaming system is unappealing.
MAME game filenames cannot be changed, which is such a shame and I feel quite lame, sorry, anyways they use an 8 character abbreviated naming system which doesn't translate all that well. AL does however allow you to assign a sort of name label to each filename which you can have your file list display these labels in place of the abbreviated file names.
Problem is you would have to rename each game individually for AL to display them correctly.

The MAME emulator itself has a column that displays the 8 character name as well as a column that displays a full length name as well. This means that somewhere there is a list that has both naming options within the MAME emulator itself.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of method of batch updating these names with some kind of MAME offline scraper or maybe some kind of script / program that can update Advanced Launchers xml file where it stores your game info?

Thank you to whoever reads this.
If anyone has any help or advice they could share it would be greatly appreciated.