Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Use Kodi Offline with a LAN (FireTV Stick)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I'd like to be able to use Kodi offline using just a LAN. I moved into a new place and we don't have internet for a while, so I'd like to be able to access my NAS drive.

I've actually been successful doing this, I just plug in my router, and connect as per normal. The kicker is, it's INCREDIBLY slow. I imagine Kodi keeps trying to connect to the internet and timing out, then it reluctantly does the thing I ask it for. I've disabled all the add-ons for scraping, but it's the same. Anyway I can just default off the internet stuff until I get internet?

Thanks!
Kodi only looks to the internet when you do things like a library scan, or the once-a-day check for new add-ons.

Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when it is slow for you?
Hm, that's weird then. It was perfectly fine in our old flat, the only real difference being that there's no internet as far as I'm aware.

I've done the log: http://pastebin.com/7fPZqy2W

Thank you very much! It's slow from start to anything. I started up Kodi, went to play a video, each bit took a while. Even exiting the video.
Maybe it's an issue with the MySQL set up. Other than that, nothing jumps out at me in the logs for what could be causing the slow down. I'm not sure what in MySQL would cause that, but it could be a place to start looking for more clues.
I can't imagine why, it's all local. I'm just storing the db on the NAS, which is on my network. I did it to share my watched status/resume time with my other kodi setups. I've got two btw, both of which have the same speed issue.
We just got internet and it's still the same! That's so weird! I was sure that was the issue, since it's the only difference, really. Do you have any idea what else may be the issue?

EDIT:

I think it is indeed the MySQL stuff, as I deleted my advanedsettings and restarted kodi and it was a lot more responsive. Not sure why it's a problem, and I hope I can keep my sql db, since it's very useful. Any ideas?
Since I found it wasn't the internet that was causing the issue, I tried a bunch of stuff. Not sure which one made it work, but I THINK it was me changing my DNS server/default gateway on my NAS drive.

I'm not sure why, since I had one router for both and it still took forever. When I get a second one, so we could get wifi in all of our flat as one router wouldn't reach all the way, I used the new one as the main (Since it was the modem as well) and made my other router an access point. I made my other router have a static ip address of 192.168.2.2 and the new router was 192.168.2.1, but the NAS was pointing to my old one, so I reckon it may have been a routing/timeout issue of some sorts? I changed them to 192.168.2.1, and dropped my sql databases, thinking it might've been that, but it wasn't!

I also made my NAS have a static ip on my new router, instead of it being a setting on the NAS (I couldn't assign static ip address on my old router, but could on my NAS). And I also forwarded the ports (3306). I'm fairly sure it was the DNS issue, as that was the only one that made it speed up after I changed it. Although it might've been a combination. Hope it helps anyone else!
Nice, glad to hear it worked out.