Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TrueHD with sync playback to display, occasionally drops audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whenever I play a video with a TrueHD track, the audio occasionally drops out for a few frames. I discovered this only happens when sync playback to display is enabled. Is there another fix for this? Will this bug be patched?

Edit: I'm on 15.1
not a bug, it's how it's supposed to be
Sounds like sync playback to display makes no sense when doing passthrough in your case, as when we need to do adjustments to work to the clock in your display Kodi is having to drop audio packets, if you want perfect av sync then disable passthrough.
(2015-09-08, 19:10)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like sync playback to display makes no sense when doing passthrough in your case, as when we need to do adjustments to work to the clock in your display Kodi is having to drop audio packets, if you want perfect av sync then disable passthrough.

It's not my intention to high jack this thread, but I have a question, I've asked this before on here but nobody answered me

Specifically in the case of 23.976 fps playing on a 59.94hz refresh rate. What's the difference between how Kodi handles playback with sync playback turned off and turned on.

The reason I ask, is cause I've been doing some extensive watching both ways, and the video quality is definitely a little bit smoother and better with sync turned on, but it seems to me like the a/v sync is a little off. It might all be in my head though, I don't know lol
(2015-09-08, 19:10)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like sync playback to display makes no sense when doing passthrough in your case, as when we need to do adjustments to work to the clock in your display Kodi is having to drop audio packets, if you want perfect av sync then disable passthrough.

I guess I've always assumed sync playback to display was best to leave on. I honestly never looked at documentation about it's purpose, because why wouldn't I want my playback to be the same as my display? But it looks like I don't actually need in my case?
(2015-09-08, 19:52)Bjomesphat Wrote: [ -> ]

I guess I've always assumed sync playback to display was best to leave on. I honestly never looked at documentation about it's purpose, because why wouldn't I want my playback to be the same as my display? But it looks like I don't actually need in my case?

If the refresh rate of your video matches the refresh rate of your monitor. There is no point to sync playback to display because it's already synced.

You only really need to turn it on when it doesn't match. Such as 25fps into 60hz or 23.9 fps into 50 or 60hz, etc...

If you have an hdtv with 24hz and 25hz compatibly, you should be good never having to turn on sync, just turn on adjust refresh rate

Now if somebody can answer my question above, I'd love it lol
This is the best explanation I've seen http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1943753
(2015-09-08, 21:53)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]This is the best explanation I've seen http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1943753

That explanation is flawless in terms of explaining why and when you would need to turn on sync playback to display. However it doesn't answer my question...

Basically. For playing a 23.9 vid on a 59.9 refresh rate

Sync playback on. What does kodi do in terms of displaying frames?
Sync playback off. What does kodi do in terms of displaying frames?
What's the difference? Which one uses 3:2 pull down? Do both use it?

Strictly video wise, I understand 100% about the resampling of audio.
(2015-09-08, 21:28)ilovethakush Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-08, 19:52)Bjomesphat Wrote: [ -> ]

If the refresh rate of your video matches the refresh rate of your monitor. There is no point to sync playback to display because it's already synced.

You only really need to turn it on when it doesn't match. Such as 25fps into 60hz or 23.9 fps into 50 or 60hz, etc...

If you have an hdtv with 24hz and 25hz compatibly, you should be good never having to turn on sync, just turn on adjust refresh rate

Now if somebody can answer my question above, I'd love it lol

Yeah that makes sense. My display can handle all of those refresh rates. Thanks for the info.

(2015-09-08, 21:53)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]This is the best explanation I've seen http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1943753

That's a good read, thanks for the link.