Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues with RPI 2 connecting and sharing with Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. I have an RPI 2 with a wireless Dongle, and most of the times I have no issues. Here is my dilemma.

All sharing is set properly and the I can connect to to the RPI 2 with no issues, but every now and them, I cannot connect from Windows, either from Explorer or FileZilla. Out of the blue, so I will have to do the following below to get it to connect again, and yet before having to do this, the RPI 2 works fine, so I'm able to watch shows, so I know the dongle is connected.

I try rebooting router, sometimes it works and I can connect back from windows and sometimes not

If not, then I have to reboot the Modem and then the router, and then it will allow me to connect from Windows.

This does not always happen, it will work for days, then all of a sudden stop working and won't allow Windows to connect. Huh

Is there a process to avoid having to do this every time I can't connect. FTR, I have it set as a static IP. I have even tried simply unplugging the Dongle and plugging it back it, that doesn't work either, the Modem and router method seems to work every time.

I know having the unit hardwired would be best, but in this case I don't have that option, so I'm stuck to use wireless, unless, I install range extender with Ethernet port.
(2015-09-09, 14:50)DJB628 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. I have an RPI 2 with a wireless Dongle, and most of the times I have no issues. Here is my dilemma.

All sharing is set properly and the I can connect to to the RPI 2 with no issues, but every now and them, I cannot connect from Windows, either from Explorer or FileZilla. Out of the blue, so I will have to do the following below to get it to connect again, and yet before having to do this, the RPI 2 works fine, so I'm able to watch shows, so I know the dongle is connected.

I try rebooting router, sometimes it works and I can connect back from windows and sometimes not

If not, then I have to reboot the Modem and then the router, and then it will allow me to connect from Windows.

This does not always happen, it will work for days, then all of a sudden stop working and won't allow Windows to connect. Huh

Is there a process to avoid having to do this every time I can't connect. FTR, I have it set as a static IP. I have even tried simply unplugging the Dongle and plugging it back it, that doesn't work either, the Modem and router method seems to work every time.

I know having the unit hardwired would be best, but in this case I don't have that option, so I'm stuck to use wireless, unless, I install range extender with Ethernet port.
Have you tried connecting to it from anything other than windows?
Try another device when connecting you can get ssh clients on most phones/tablets now so when it next happens try connecting with one of them it may just be windows playing up
(2015-09-09, 16:46)Steve_uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-09, 14:50)DJB628 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. I have an RPI 2 with a wireless Dongle, and most of the times I have no issues. Here is my dilemma.

Have you tried connecting to it from anything other than windows?
Try another device when connecting you can get ssh clients on most phones/tablets now so when it next happens try connecting with one of them it may just be windows playing up

OK, I will try that and see, and report when it happens next, in the meantime any other suggestions, keep them coming.

Do keep in mind when one Windows PC doesn't connect, all 3 of my windows PC don't connect.
Sounds daft but maybe plug the dongle in to a different USB slot..
Me and loads of others have had problems with USB Ir receivers not working correctly but when plugged into a different USB they have been fine.
(2015-09-09, 16:57)Steve_uk Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds daft but maybe plug the dongle in to a different USB slot..
Me and loads of others have had problems with USB Ir receivers not working correctly but when plugged into a different USB they have been fine.

K I will try that when I get home.
A problem I had once with my USB Ir receiver was it would just go dead and stop responding and I found a guy who had created a Autostart.sh file which fixed it as it seemed the USB seemed to go idle and the Autostart.sh file sort of woke it back up (not sure on the technicalities)
At first I thought that's the problem you're having but you say you still have network access so your USB must still be active
You say you "can't connect" Is this a problem where the Pi isn't listed in Network or you truly can't connect? Have you tried entering the Pi IP in an Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) window
Code:
\\IP.of.your.Pi\sharename
(2015-09-09, 17:38)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]You say you "can't connect" Is this a problem where the Pi isn't listed in Network or you truly can't connect? Have you tried entering the Pi IP in an Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) window
Code:
\\IP.of.your.Pi\sharename

Yes, that is what I do, I enter my IP in explorer \\192.168.1.** and it simply times out, I try the same in FileZilla and does not connect. I have to most of the time reboot both the Router and Modem.
Does rebooting the Pi have any effect? What is running on the Pi?
You've got me wondering now, as recently I'm seeing something partially similar to that.

Sometimes my Pi doesn't appear under the network tab in Windows Explorer, but I can access it via it's name (\\KODIPI in my case) or via its IP address (\\192.168.0.x). I'd put that down to my router having a funny turn sometimes (my WD NAS box does something similar too), but lately the name access doesn't work either and times out. The IP address always works though, and often if I reboot the Pi then it appears under the network tab again.

Started happening I think when I moved to 5.95.x in OpenElec and when I moved from a Pi1 to a Pi2, but as both happened around the same time it's not clear to me where the exact trigger change was.

In my case it's more a niggle than a real problem (at least whilst I still have access via the IP address), but your report has got me wondering a bit now too...
(2015-09-09, 17:57)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]Does rebooting the Pi have any effect? What is running on the Pi?

No rebooting the PI does not help.
Sounds like a problem/setting in your router
(2015-09-09, 18:38)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a problem/setting in your router

I don't think because, when I reboot the router, I still have the same issue, I have to reboot the Modem, then the router

Everything else I have no issues and all connect
The modem should have nothing to do with sharing across your internal network unless it's a wireless modem and supports your wireless network.
Similar story here (I think). When I look at my network (using Total Commander in my case) I can usually see at least one Kodi rpi2 'play' icon. Sometimes just for video, sometimes one for video and one for music. The plain vanilla icon that means that there are shared folders within appears more rarely. No rhyme or reason that I can see. Sometimes I want to transfer high bit-rate videos to the Pi's internal storage to avoid buffering over the wireless network. That's the only time that it's an issue. I've had two routers over the time that it's been happening.
Pages: 1 2