Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Extendedinfo.script issue in Mimic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure there's been discussion of this somewhere, but I'm not turning up anything substantial in google or Kodi forum searches. I've encountered a problem with the Mimic skin when performing any function that calls up the on-screen keyboard. I get a popup window that says:

"ADD-ON REQUIRED
To use this feature you must download an addon:
Extendedinfo.Script
Would you like to download this addon?"
it asks Yes or No

If I say no, the dialogue goes away but returns the next time the on-screen keyboard appears.

If I say yes, the dialogue goes away and locks out the keyboard controls. Nevermind the fact that it doesn’t actually install anything. But at least the dialog stops pestering me -until I reboot, then its back.

It does go away if I manually install extendedinfo, but the script bogs down my raspberry pi2 and taxes my poor bandwidth; so I don't want it in my builds if I have a choice.

I've seen the same problem in Aeon Nox on an earlier build of Isengard. The problem went away there on the latest build, but the dialog will still pop up when using the info key while looking at a movie collection. So maybe not fixed for good in Aeon. I am assuming that there's a shared code-base between Mimic and Nox.

I've seen this in fresh Isengard installs using openelec on Raspberry Pi and with Kodi on Windows, so I doubt that the problem is specific to hardware or distro. I am installing and testing several skins and so far, only Mimic and NOX are affected with this issue. It's a hidden problem on a system with the script already installed, so perhaps many people are not seeing this.

I'm curious about the cause of the issue, is this a simple problem with the skin or is there something nasty creeping into the Kodi core? Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.
As far as I can tell the issue must be with Kodi core. The reason you are only seeing it with Mimic and Nox is likely because these are among the few skins that have implemented the keyboard autocomplete function that is included in the ExtendedInfo script.

I have the autocomplete code set to be visible only if ExtendedInfo is installed and the skin setting is enabled, but Kodi prompts to install ExtendedInfo either way it seems. Not sure there is much I can do about it.

Be sure that you have the autocomplete function disabled in Skin Settings > Extras > Enable keyboard auto complete
Thanks for the fast reply. I disabled auto complete and rebooted, but the bugger's still there. Do you know if the kodi devs or the extendedinfo team are aware of the issue, I'd like to raise the flag with the right group of people if needed.

Again, thanks for the info, great skin, hope to use it someday.
After looking at the Nox code I moved the keyboard autocomplete code to an include, rather than putting it directly in DialogKeyboard.xml. If you are running Kodi Jarvis, you can try the latest Mimic from github to see if it fixes the problem.
(2015-09-11, 18:32)RPico Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the fast reply. I disabled auto complete and rebooted, but the bugger's still there. Do you know if the kodi devs or the extendedinfo team are aware of the issue, I'd like to raise the flag with the right group of people if needed.

Again, thanks for the info, great skin, hope to use it someday.

I'll post this issue in the ExtendedInfo thread and see if Phil65 has a solution.
A temporary solution would be to put the autocomplete part into a conditional include (system.hasaddon() ), but the issue is indeed core-related.
(2015-09-11, 18:38)phil65 Wrote: [ -> ]A temporary solution would be to put the autocomplete part into a conditional include (system.hasaddon() ), but the issue is indeed core-related.

Thanks Phil, will move the code to an include.
@RPico

I just made the same change to the Isengard branch and pushed it to github. So if you're running Isengard, you can test it by downloading the latest Mimic from the following link...

https://github.com/bryanbrazil/skin.mimic/tree/isengard
Wow, you guys are fast. I reinstalled the skin using the new mod. It works in regard to the dialog popping up with the on-screen keyboard. The dialog does however return when pressing the 'i' key on the keyboard while browsing a video library. I'm not sure where else this thing's going to show up next. I'll ring it out a little better tonight and let you know where else this might occur.

Thanks
(2015-09-11, 20:33)RPico Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, you guys are fast. I reinstalled the skin using the new mod. It works in regard to the dialog popping up with the on-screen keyboard. The dialog does however return when pressing the 'i' key on the keyboard while browsing a video library. I'm not sure where else this thing's going to show up next. I'll ring it out a little better tonight and let you know where else this might occur.

Thanks

Might have to wait for a fix to core for the video info dialog. I use ExtendedInfo to display YouTube trailers, etc, and it falls back to the default trailer when the script isn't installed. Not sure I can move all of the ExtendedInfo references to an include to keep the popup from appearing in this case though.
As it is, you've done enough, and I'd hate to see you change something that breaks what you have. In the interim, I may have to bite the bullet and install the Extendedinfo.Script -Again, thanks.
Is there a way to use autocomplete in Helix or is it only from Isengard, and on?
(2016-03-11, 12:18)sconly Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to use autocomplete in Helix or is it only from Isengard, and on?
Isengard +, and I'm not planning to add any new features for Helix or Isengard. All of my attention is on Jarvis at the moment.