Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Copy FULL Library from PC to Android TV Box [HELP!]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys!

I have XBMC on my computer with a library containing almost 2000 movies (each movie having the cover, fanart and other infos edited and selected by me). My Movies and respective Posters are all inside my USB External Disk (Toshiba). Only Fanarts are used locally on my pc (from web database after scanning movie).

Now I just bought an Android TV Box to make an Home Cinema, running XBMC on my TV to see all those movies with family and friends. I really really want to do this.

So the question is, HOW can i make an exact copy of my library and settings (so keeping names, posters and fanarts mainly) and put it on my XBMC/Kodi of my Android TV Box without missing anything like i was still watching on my computer? (And I want to use it also on a place without internet, so MySQL and others are not an option if you got the point...)

Cause I don't want to edit 2000 movies manually on that Box and I need this as fast as possibly while I still have time, it would make me die t edit everything again!

I'm sure my question is the same question for a lot of people.
Thanks in advance! Blush

___

XBMC - 13.2 (Gotham)
Windows 8.1
I catch what you want to do...
Quote:My Movies and respective Posters are all inside my USB External Disk (Toshiba). Only Fanarts are used locally on my pc
You mean you have a separate folder for your fanart? Because the path is going to be different between devices, export and import isn't going to help much. As long as all your meta-data is with each movie in separate folders, a re-scrape should be quick as the box you bought, set your scraper as 'local info only' and once scraped, change the scraper back to whatever. Fanart might be an issue, as you have them in a single folder? Art Dept should make fast work of this, at least faster than a full scrape.

BTW: update to Kodi, you'll find the latest has many Android fixes.
(2015-09-14, 23:58)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]I catch what you want to do...
Quote:My Movies and respective Posters are all inside my USB External Disk (Toshiba). Only Fanarts are used locally on my pc
You mean you have a separate folder for your fanart? Because the path is going to be different between devices, export and import isn't going to help much. As long as all your meta-data is with each movie in separate folders, a re-scrape should be quick as the box you bought, set your scraper as 'local info only' and once scraped, change the scraper back to whatever. Fanart might be an issue, as you have them in a single folder? Art Dept should make fast work of this, at least faster than a full scrape.

BTW: update to Kodi, you'll find the latest has many Android fixes.

Guess I wasn't very clear on that Tongue ... so, when I upload a new movie into my library and scan it, I choose the Fanart between those from Web that are automatically downloaded when you scan the movie, so basicly the fanarts are on that 'Thumbnails' folder from userdata on my PC. And the Posters, I pick them from my external hard drive (I have a folder with thousands of movie posters on that external disk).

Hope you understood, so that you can have a better idea on how to help me.

Thanks!
The quick and dirty way to do this...
1. Copy MyVideos90.db (might be a different number depending on kodi version) from your pc.
2. Copy thumbnails folder from your pc.
Put the above in the right place in the kodi userdata folder (android). Make sure you're using the same version of kodi as on your pc.

That's not enough, though, because the address will be different.
eg you might have a film on your pc that is in E/Films/.
Put that in kodi android and it will mean nothing - the film will be accessed eg over smb. So you need to use path substitution . Make an advancedsettings.xml file telling kodi (android) what path to substitute for each source that you've previously defined in kodi on the pc.

Once you get your head around it it's actually pretty quick to set up, but you'll probably have to read a few wiki pages more than once.

Edit: no use to you now, but maybe for the future - I always set sources in kodi with a network address, so the address is the same whatever local machine I use. That means I can copy databases from 1 machine to another and they just work.
Making any back up and then copying it over to a different operating system and different version of kodi will lead to so many headaches besides just the drive letters not matching.

It's easier to just start from scratch and scan again. Trust me
(2015-09-15, 03:06)ilovethakush Wrote: [ -> ]Making any back up and then copying it over to a different operating system and different version of kodi will lead to so many headaches besides just the drive letters not matching.

It's easier to just start from scratch and scan again. Trust me
You're doing it wrong.
Trust me.

Tongue
(2015-09-15, 00:57)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]The quick and dirty way to do this...
1. Copy MyVideos90.db (might be a different number depending on kodi version) from your pc.
Put the above in the right place in the kodi userdata folder (android). Make sure you're using the same version of kodi as on your pc.

That's not enough, though, because the address will be different.
eg you might have a film on your pc that is in E/Films/.
Put that in kodi android and it will mean nothing - the film will be accessed eg over smb. So you need to use path substitution . Make an advancedsettings.xml file telling kodi (android) what path to substitute for each source that you've previously defined in kodi on the pc.

Once you get your head around it it's actually pretty quick to set up, but you'll probably have to read a few wiki pages more than once.

Edit: no use to you now, but maybe for the future - I always set sources in kodi with a network address, so the address is the same whatever local machine I use. That means I can copy databases from 1 machine to another and they just work.

Can you give a little resume of what should I do with advancedsettings.xml file? ... If not its ok, I can research a bit!

Thanks a lot bro, I will give a try. Hope it works, cause it would be a pain to edit 2000 files again ._.
You'll need to do a bit of reading, but it's all in the wiki.
Advancedsettings.xml
Path substitution.

Basically you're creating a file called advancedsettings.xml which you plonk in your userdata folder. Kodi looks for that file on startup, and if it finds it it will apply the settings you want.
You need to know the path of each source in your video library - get these from sources.xml in your userdata folder.
Then you need to work out what the path to each source will be from your android tv box.

You create a file that looks something like this:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>E:\Films</from>
<to>SMB://192.168.1.19/E/Films</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
You can use IP address or the name of your pc on the network - obviously E/Films (or wherever you keep them) has to be a shared folder and accessible from your tv box.

Hope that's enough to point you in the right direction.
(2015-09-15, 22:51)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]You'll need to do a bit of reading, but it's all in the wiki.
Advancedsettings.xml
Path substitution.

Basically you're creating a file called advancedsettings.xml which you plonk in your userdata folder. Kodi looks for that file on startup, and if it finds it it will apply the settings you want.
You need to know the path of each source in your video library - get these from sources.xml in your userdata folder.
Then you need to work out what the path to each source will be from your android tv box.

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
You can use IP address or the name of your pc on the network - obviously E/Films (or wherever you keep them) has to be a shared folder and accessible from your tv box.

Oh, thanks a lot, that will help for sure! And I'm sure this will help other people too Smile

Btw, before end, I have one last question.
As you know, I have XBMC v13.1 , so I need to update it to the latest version. Since 'XBMC' has been changed to 'Kodi', the paths of userdata files will change as well, so that would be a problem? Or it auto changes paths on my old data/settings? Thanks in advance again!
(2015-09-16, 00:10)Fontes95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-15, 22:51)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]You'll need to do a bit of reading, but it's all in the wiki.
Advancedsettings.xml
Path substitution.

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Oh, thanks a lot, that will help for sure! And I'm sure this will help other people too Smile

Btw, before end, I have one last question.
As you know, I have XBMC v13.1 , so I need to update it to the latest version. Since 'XBMC' has been changed to 'Kodi', the paths of userdata files will change as well, so that would be a problem? Or it auto changes paths on my old data/settings? Thanks in advance again!

I think I really need to update because now when I scan movies they do not appear on my library/database! Should be cause of that?
No idea why it's not scanning - I don't scan with xbmc / kodi so that side of things is a mystery to me.
First things first - you need to be running the same version of kodi (or xbmc) on windows and android for the library to 'just work' on android when you move it across.
If you have a newer version on android then in theory it will convert the video.db file the first time it's seen; if you have an older version of kodi on android it won't work at all.
Secondly - when you upgrade from xbmc to kodi it should give you the option to move userdata across. I don't know whether that will work going straight from 13.1 (xbmc) to 15.1 (latest stable) - it did for me when I went from 13 to 14. So before you start upgrading make a full copy of your xbmc userdata folder - if it works correctly you can just delete it. You might want to consider going from 13.1 to 14.2 (and then saving userdata again), and then upgrading again to 15.1.
Thirdly - you might find Kodi 14.2 is actually running better on android than 15.1 (which is where that second backup comes in). If so you could keep 15.1 and install SPMC from the play store - the play store version (as I understand it) is based on kodi14, with android optimizations.

None of this is definitive - it's just what I'd do. As long as you back up as you go along, though, you can't really go wrong.

Edit: sorry - meant to say yes, the userdata paths change when you go from xbmc to kodi.
(2015-09-16, 12:21)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]No idea why it's not scanning - I don't scan with xbmc / kodi so that side of things is a mystery to me.
First things first - you need to be running the same version of kodi (or xbmc) on windows and android for the library to 'just work' on android when you move it across.
If you have a newer version on android then in theory it will convert the video.db file the first time it's seen; if you have an older version of kodi on android it won't work at all.
Secondly - when you upgrade from xbmc to kodi it should give you the option to move userdata across. I don't know whether that will work going straight from 13.1 (xbmc) to 15.1 (latest stable) - it did for me when I went from 13 to 14. So before you start upgrading make a full copy of your xbmc userdata folder - if it works correctly you can just delete it. You might want to consider going from 13.1 to 14.2 (and then saving userdata again), and then upgrading again to 15.1.
Thirdly - you might find Kodi 14.2 is actually running better on android than 15.1 (which is where that second backup comes in). If so you could keep 15.1 and install SPMC from the play store - the play store version (as I understand it) is based on kodi14, with android optimizations.

None of this is definitive - it's just what I'd do. As long as you back up as you go along, though, you can't really go wrong.

Edit: sorry - meant to say yes, the userdata paths change when you go from xbmc to kodi.

So, if the "userdata paths change when you go from xbmc to kodi" .... that means my movies in library will miss fanarts and other infos due to not detecting the location of each file for each movie?
Thanks
No. The path to your media (where you store films) doesn't change. All that changes is that when you upgrade from xbmc to kodi the path of the xbmc / kodi userdata folder (containing your library, list of sources, addons etc... ie where xbmc / kodi saves settings) changes. That should happen automatically - the backup is a precaution in case it doesn't.
(2015-09-15, 00:57)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]The quick and dirty way to do this...

FWIW, no sense in copying thumbnails folder if you do not also copy textures.db.
Good spot - oversight on my part.
Choices - copy both thumbnails folder and textures.db or copy neither.

Why copy? - art will load quicker when browsing library.
Why not? - Thumbnails folder can take up a huge amount of space.
Pages: 1 2