Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-11-28, 09:18)Gmjh Wrote: [ -> ]Yes my tv has a cinema mode. But as I suspected, with 60hz tv there's no point in me getting a device which does 23.976 playback. Thanks.
Why would you not want Kodi to autoswitch your TV into 24p Cinema Mode mode to playback 23.976fps video for silky smooth video playback ?

I fail to see what your problem is. You do not need a 120Hz TV.
(2015-11-28, 09:28)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-28, 09:18)Gmjh Wrote: [ -> ]Yes my tv has a cinema mode. But as I suspected, with 60hz tv there's no point in me getting a device which does 23.976 playback. Thanks.
Why would you not want Kodi to autoswitch your TV into 24p Cinema Mode mode to playback 23.976fps video for silky smooth video playback ?

Because kodi will not play 23.976 smoothly on at tv with a max hz of 60hz running at 24hz. The tv, as you said, will do a 3:2 pulldown.

A 120hz tv will not have the problem as 120hz 'fits' into 24p cinema mode (x5)

If you're saying that's not the case then good, but I've read a few times that the above is the case.
(2015-11-28, 09:46)chudu323 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm from VietNam and where i can buy it? please help. thanks a lot
It's not available to buy at the moment.
How does the Core compare to a Beebox?
You're questions are too open ended to answer.
You need to Work out what you type of audio, video or apps you want to use in a media player and start from there.
This is a new app I just released to mount samba or nfs shares that will work fine with both Core and Play. It requires root.
(2015-11-28, 12:35)Gmjh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-28, 09:28)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

Because kodi will not play 23.976 smoothly on at tv with a max hz of 60hz running at 24hz. The tv, as you said, will do a 3:2 pulldown.

If you're saying that's not the case then good, but I've read a few times that the above is the case.

Not strictly true. I have 24p playing fine on my Sony 40W4000 in 24p True Cinema mode with no 3:2 pulldown. This is a regular 50/60Hz European HD set from c. 2008 with no additional 100/120Hz processing or refresh rates. 24p stuff is, I believe, displayed at 48Hz. Because it's an LCD panel with a constant backlight, you don't get the large area flicker you'd get on a CRT or Plasma (which use emissive pixels and thus flicker at refresh rate, or multiples of it)

So - you can get 24p displayed cleanly, with no 3:2 judder, on a non-120Hz display. Whether sets like the 40W4000 were sold in the US I can't say - but they were certainly available in Europe, and I bought one specifically because my previous HD set (a Sony 40W2000) had no support for anything but 50 and 60Hz, so my Blu-rays I had started to buy were unwatchable with 3:2 judder. (I'm really sensitive to it)
As my earlier point about 60hz and 24p didn't get a response, this is the response I got another thread here about the question.

"--I don't understand how a tv with 50/60hz display can process 24 with no 3:2 pull down or some other processing.
--It can't - but 48Hz is very close to 50Hz..It's entirely possible if you have a 48Hz option.

When I want to watch 24p on a TV that only supports 50 and 60Hz I always use a fixed 50Hz and a sync playback to display to do the 4% speed-up 2:2 at 50"

That reply from 'noggin' seems to be different from what 'wrxtasy' said. Noggin is saying smooth 24p playback is not possible on a tv with a max of 60hz (unless you use the 50hz trick he mentioned which didn't work for me or the tv will do 48 hz which mine doesn't as neither the tvghz app will do 48hz and kodi won't force 48hz with an advanced settings.xml file) But wrxtasy simply says he doesn't know what the problem is. Or have I misunderstood one of them. It's kind of important for me to know as there's no point in me getting a wetek core unless my 60hz tv can actually support 24p properly.
(2015-11-29, 16:21)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-28, 12:35)Gmjh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-28, 09:28)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you not want Kodi to autoswitch your TV into 24p Cinema Mode mode to playback 23.976fps video for silky smooth video playback ?

Not strictly true. I have 24p playing fine on my Sony 40W4000 in 24p True Cinema mode with no 3:2 pulldown. This is a regular 50/60Hz European HD set from c. 2008 with no additional 100/120Hz processing or refresh rates. 24p stuff is, I believe, displayed at 48Hz. Because it's an LCD panel with a constant backlight, you don't get the large area flicker you'd get on a CRT or Plasma (which use emissive pixels and thus flicker at refresh rate, or multiples of it)

So - you can get 24p displayed cleanly, with no 3:2 judder, on a non-120Hz display. Whether sets like the 40W4000 were sold in the US I can't say - but they were certainly available in Europe, and I bought one specifically because my previous HD set (a Sony 40W2000) had no support for anything but 50 and 60Hz, so my Blu-rays I had started to buy were unwatchable with 3:2 judder. (I'm really sensitive to it)

Ah I see we posted at almost exactly the same time. As I said above, I can't find any way to make my lg tv display 48hz. So it looks like there's no point in getting a wetek core sadly.
I think you are totally confusing yourself and making something simple very very complicated.
Just answer this simple question:
Does your TV have some sort of 24p or Cinema Mode that can be configured in the TV settings ?
It would probably help everyone if you listed the exact Brand and Model you have and then a lot more help can be given.

If the answer is Yes, you will get smooth playback when Kodi switches your TV into 24p mode, and a media player outputs video properly at 23.976fps.

If the answer is no then 23.976fps video will be output at 60Hz and displayed using a 3:2 pulldown technique.

This is Noggins very important sentence:
Quote:I have 24p playing fine on my Sony 40W4000 in 24p True Cinema mode with no 3:2 pulldown. This is a regular 50/60Hz European HD Set.
I have a similar Sony LCD TV as Noggin, and get the exact same results on mine as well in 24p True Cinema mode.
(2015-11-29, 15:07)ChristianTroy Wrote: [ -> ]This is a new app I just released to mount samba or nfs shares that will work fine with both Core and Play. It requires root.
Will give this a test run tomorrow CT, now that I'm back on my feet and feeling human again. It might fix my Android NFS > Kodi > Mac sharing issues hopefully.
(2015-11-29, 17:22)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I think you are totally confusing yourself and making something simple very very complicated.
Does your TV have some sort of 24p or Cinema Mode that can be configured in the TV settings ?
It would probably help everyone if you listed the exact Brand and Model you have and then a lot more help can be given.

If the answer is Yes, you will get smooth playback when Kodi switches your TV into 24p mode, and a media player outputs video properly at 23.976fps.

If the answer is no then 23.976fps video will be output at 60Hz and displayed using a 3:2 pulldown technique.

Quote:I have 24p playing fine on my Sony 40W4000 in 24p True Cinema mode with no 3:2 pulldown. This is a regular 50/60Hz European HD Set.
I have a similar Sony LCD TV as Noggin, and get the exact same results on mine as well in 24p True Cinema mode.

I don't think I'm confusing it. I'm getting confusing and apparently contradictory replies. You yourself said, as has been pointed out by myself and noggin, said that my tv set up would result in a 3:2 pulldown. You then said 'what's the problem' after saying exactly what the problem is.

My tv is an LG 50LN540V 50-inch. It has a real cinema mode on it which kicks in automatically with a 24p source such as kodi.

You say that kodi will play 23.976 on a player such as the wetek core which can process it. My point is, which noggin says is not possible and I agree, how can a 60hz tv show a 24p video smoothly without a 3:2pulldown?. Bearing in mind of course that when kodi displays 24hz on my tv it's just showing the source material and the tv has to process it to show it on my 60hz screen. You seem to be saying that a 24p source will be shown at a simple 24hz on a 60hz screen. My understanding is that is just not possible. But you seem to be saying there is no problem.

I know what noggin said about his old tv and I've already said my tv will not output at 48hz.

So, are you saying a 60hz tv will simply show 24hz from kodi without any 3:2 processing? Noggin, and other posters I've read, say this is not the case.
(2015-11-29, 16:24)Gmjh Wrote: [ -> ]As my earlier point about 60hz and 24p didn't get a response, this is the response I got another thread here about the question.

"--I don't understand how a tv with 50/60hz display can process 24 with no 3:2 pull down or some other processing.
--It can't - but 48Hz is very close to 50Hz..It's entirely possible if you have a 48Hz option.

When I want to watch 24p on a TV that only supports 50 and 60Hz I always use a fixed 50Hz and a sync playback to display to do the 4% speed-up 2:2 at 50"

That reply from 'noggin' seems to be different from what 'wrxtasy' said. Noggin is saying smooth 24p playback is not possible on a tv with a max of 60hz (unless you use the 50hz trick he mentioned which didn't work for me or the tv will do 48 hz which mine doesn't as neither the tvghz app will do 48hz and kodi won't force 48hz with an advanced settings.xml file) But wrxtasy simply says he doesn't know what the problem is. Or have I misunderstood one of them. It's kind of important for me to know as there's no point in me getting a wetek core unless my 60hz tv can actually support 24p properly.

Gmjj - you are confusing output frame rate with display refresh rate.

You won't be able to select, nor should you try, to output 48Hz from a source (like a Wetek Core etc.). If your TV supports 24p inputs AND displays them in a non-3:2 manner then you select 24 (or 23.976)Hz output from your source device running Kodi. Your TV, if it supports non-3:2 display of 24Hz, will then display it at 2:2 48Hz, 3:3 72Hz, 4:4 96Hz, 5:5 120Hz etc. (These are all symmetrical cadences so don't add motion judder that 3:2 does)

For my Sony 40W4000 my Kodi sources run at 24, 50 and 60Hz output frame rates. My TV then displays them at 48, 50 and 60Hz refresh rates I believe (adding 2:2 to the 24p sources, but leaving 50 and 60Hz as 1:1)

My point about syncing playback to display is that it is a technique that can be used for watching 24p content on displays that DON'T support 48/96/72Hz etc. refresh but DO support 50Hz refresh. (24p sped up to 25p is what all of use Europeans are used to - as it is how broadcasts of 24p content happen in Europe usually)
(2015-11-29, 18:21)Gmjh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-29, 17:22)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I think you are totally confusing yourself and making something simple very very complicated.

I don't think I'm confusing it. I'm getting confusing and apparently contradictory replies. You yourself said, as has been pointed out by myself and noggin, said that my tv set up would result in a 3:2 pulldown. You then said 'what's the problem' after saying exactly what the problem is.

My tv is an LG 50LN540V 50-inch. It has a real cinema mode on it which kicks in automatically with a 24p source such as kodi.

You say that kodi will play 23.976 on a player such as the wetek core which can process it. My point is, which noggin says is not possible and I agree, how can a 60hz tv show a 24p video smoothly without a 3:2pulldown?. Bearing in mind of course that when kodi displays 24hz on my tv it's just showing the source material and the tv has to process it to show it on my 60hz screen. You seem to be saying that a 24p source will be shown at a simple 24hz on a 60hz screen. My understanding is that is just not possible. But you seem to be saying there is no problem.

I know what noggin said about his old tv and I've already said my tv will not output at 48hz.

So, are you saying a 60hz tv will simply show 24hz from kodi without any 3:2 processing? Noggin, and other posters I've read, say this is not the case.

If you have Real Cinema when fed 1080/24p and you don't see 3:2 judder on it, then your TV is almost certainly displaying the 24p at 48Hz, if it isn't a 100/120Hz set.

Don't forget that 60Hz is the maximum refresh rate, but doesn't mean it is the ONLY refresh rate, that your TV can work at. If it's a European model (or one that has European compatibility) it will run at both 50 and 60Hz. (European TV and DVD is 50Hz) If it supports 2:2 display of 24p (which is how you get smoother motion on 1080/24p Blu-rays without interpolating frames) then it will also support 48Hz refresh (not a million miles from 50Hz so not tricky to implement) Just because your screen runs at 60Hz when fed 60Hz doesn't mean it only runs at 60Hz. (US TV models often don't have 50Hz compatibility, and don't support 48Hz display, though - which is why some US TVs convert 24p inputs to 60p with 3:2 I believe. Presumably because 3:2 is such a part of US life - as all US TV shows and movies on TV are shown with it)

There is a big difference between having a TV that maxes out at 60Hz and a TV that only displays 60Hz or is only being fed a 60Hz signal.