Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ZIDOO X6(Updated October 18st support 3D ISO framepacking via kodi)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2015-10-07, 17:51)Stereodude Wrote: [ -> ]This shouldn't be all that confusing. From a decoding / player standpoint SBS and TAB are not 3D. They're just plain old 2D. 3D video is MVC. People want MVC decoding from an .ISO output as framepacked 1080p24 (really 24/1.001), just like a 3D Blu-ray player does. Also, the ability to play back MVC in M2TS, MKV, and other containers.

Well it is confusing, and you are confused as well Wink

There are 3 layers:
- Demuxing
- Decoding
- Rendering

Decoding
=======
MVC is an extension to the h264 codec to more efficiently encode left-right images. When you decode MVC, you get 2 full resolution images for the price of 1 for a given timestamp: left & right.
It's THE standard for 3D, but not actually a must. Any way to encode LR picture can do

Rendering
=======
The next part is how to render those 2 images:

1) Framepacking: the LR images are rendered Top-Bottom with a gap in between (see http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/). I never actually see it working, but I assume you pass the 2 images to the kernel, which does the assembling and pass it thru HDMI to the TV. @popcornmix surely knows more technical details, here.

2) Full SBS/TAB: The 2 full frames are rendered in software as one frame, producing 1920x2160 or 3840x1080. This combined frame is then passed to the TV which split the frame to produce 3D.
Problem here is that you must have 4K support both on the box and on the TV, and the TV must support this (as an example, my sony TV is 4K but doesn't support Full SBS/TAB)

3) Half SBS/TAB: This is the most common one. The two full frames are squeezed in 2 times 960x1080 or 1080x540, producing a standard 1920x1080 frame. The frame is sent normally to the 3D TV which produces a 3D frame out of it. All boxes are able to do this and all 3D TV are able to play it.

From what I get, the zidoo is doing 3) out of MVC, currently. To get it working 100%, all that is needed is telling the TV that what the 1920x1080 image the box is sending is 3D. The box can do it by sending a special HDMI signal, or you can do it manually on your TV.

Demuxing
=======

Based on the above, the 3D files can be a number of things:

- For 3) (HSBS/HTAB), the files are mostly simple mkv files with normal h264 1920x1080 frames. There is an unofficial extension, MK3D, which adds metadata to the mkv to be able to recognize it as 3D. Kodi does not support this, but uses the file name to "guess" it's 3D, with, e.g., .HSBS. or .HTAB. in the filename.
- For 1) and 2), the files can also be simple mkv/h264, or they can be mkv's with the video encoded as MVC (see above).
- For ISO BD 3D, this is more complicated, as we are not using mkv but 2 m2ts video streams. One is the left image in h264, the other is the MVC part, with the right image.
To create a valid MVC stream, you have to combine the 2 m2ts.

The experiment I did, that zidoo is using, is to read the SSIF file on the BD, which is the 2 streams combined, and reconstruct a valid MVC stream, which is then decoded by the box, which is rendered as 3)

As you can see, confusing stuff Wink
(2015-10-06, 15:37)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 15:36)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 15:12)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Got an email my zidoo is on its way.
Are you guys serious? No 3d iso for now? Man that WAS the selling point, how could they yell it did work if it doesnt?

Shock the $$$$ out of meLaugh

Yeah, well, if i had known this.. would i have bought it? Probably not.
The question is: will they be able to solve it?

About kodi, can zidoo x6 playbacks from samba (user and password security) or nfs shares?
(2015-10-07, 20:28)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I think this sheds some light. I owe a (partial) apology to mirror88/Zidoo as 3D ISO does play in 3D on my Epson 5025UB, except it's rendered as half-SBS (see screenshots 3 & 4 below). While testing before, my Epson had somehow disabled 3D; I've updated my impressions/review on p.16 of this thread.

Anyway, I'll let these photos do the talking... also, surprisingly, HiMedia Q5 is displaying 23.976 at 24.000. This was supposedly fixed in a previous firmware, but will address in HiMedia thread and at Futeko forum...

This proves what hdmkv?
It proves zidoo x6 might be able to fix it?
(2015-10-07, 16:33)mirror88 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,all
Our engineers are checking the 23.976 issus, I think I'll have some good news to share here soon.
And we'll have a technical meeting tomorrow,discuss the framepack 3D in kodi is possibility of implementation,Our engineer told me:It's not just a issus of kodi,Must modify the surfaceflinger of native android and GPU compose.
Whatever,we have properly decoded the 3D ISO in kodi, which is the most important.

Hope you enlighten us on the issue... today
(2015-10-08, 10:50)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Hope you enlighten us on the issue... today

@Shank chill out
Example: the mede8er players required 20 firmwares from august to december to pass from Beta to final version in v1.0.0
And they or realtek fix the 23.976 clock issue in May 2013....thats 9 months since launch...

Not saying Zidoo team are the mede8er coders but only time will tell...
(2015-10-08, 09:06)langostino Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 15:37)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-06, 15:36)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Shock the $$$$ out of meLaugh

Yeah, well, if i had known this.. would i have bought it? Probably not.
The question is: will they be able to solve it?

About kodi, can zidoo x6 playbacks from samba (user and password security) or nfs shares?

I only use SMB
SMB work flawlessly,the Zidoo X6 is as smooth and snappy as the Chromebox/OpenElec.

Setting SMB on the Himedia Q5 is a little bit conplicated.
Mine has shipped Oct 6th and according to tracking will be here tomorrow Oct 9th; new firmware day I hope.

Weekend should prove interesting testing this new rigg.

Rew
(2015-10-07, 15:51)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Since you're only interested in 2D content, I'd suggest one of these:
- ASUS Chromebox w/OpenELEC installation (Very reliable, pure Kodi box; excellent support by Matt)
- nVidia Shield Android TV (HD audio passthrough should be added soon; very good support by nVidia and Kodi devs)

Hi

When we can expect to see Nvidia Shield TV in Kodi player choices table for 2D only category?
Quote:When we can expect to see Nvidia Shield TV in Kodi player choices table for non 3D category?
Not until nVidia adds support for it... request it here as many of us have done.

Excellent explanation by Koying about 3D above, thanks. I believe HiMedia is indeed rendering as #1 (frame-packing).

But, this stuff does get complex, confusing...
Quote:The experiment I did, that zidoo is using, is to read the SSIF file on the BD, which is the 2 streams combined, and reconstruct a valid MVC stream, which is then decoded by the box, which is rendered as 3)
For Raspberry Pi, are you saying for 3D ISO, we're getting HSBS rendering/output? But, for Pi and MVC MKV, we're getting full (#1, frame-packing)? My PJ indicates it's receiving "frame packing" for both containers.
It means thet there is no cooperation between Kodi community and Nvidia?

I see only request to Nvidia in terms of 3D support,but i was thinking about global Nvidia support for Kodi.
Once nVidia adds hardware support for 3D in Shield, then only can Kodi devs take advantage of it to support (hopefully full, frame-packing) 3D in Kodi.
Now,only problem with Shield TV is 3D?
My x6 was attempted to be delivered today but they came at lunch so no one was around to take delivery. Looks like ill get mine tomorrow. Gutted!!
I got an email first 30. September from GB. After arrived another e-mail on 05. October with TN. This TN not in DHL system. After that, on 06. October I get one more TN, this is right. Today myTV-BOX arrived at the Custom. I hope I will get it tomorrow or later Monday.
(2015-10-08, 13:23)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]For Raspberry Pi, are you saying for 3D ISO, we're getting HSBS rendering/output? But, for Pi and MVC MKV, we're getting full (#1, frame-packing)? My PJ indicates it's receiving "frame packing" for both containers.

No. It doesn't matter where the video comes from, if you can decode the MVC, then you will have the full resolution (i.e. 1920x1080 for each eye).
If "Use Full HD HDMI modes for 3D" is enabled the Pi will output in a framepacked mode which maintains the full resolution.
If that option is not specified then you will get HSBS or HTAB and so half the resolution.

"Use Full HD HDMI modes for 3D" is a Pi specific option. It merely sends a flag to the firmware to request the framepacked HDMI mode.
The issue with Android boxes is there is no standard way to request a framepacked mode and that would have to be done outside of kodi
(either in kernel or firmware). It is possible for manufacturers to implement their own custom APIs for this, but until Android makes a standard API
this will need custom builds for different devices (assuming the hardware is capable of supporting it and the manufacturers implement it).