Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Buffering Issues - Live TV via kodi on Minix X8-H Plus (problem pointer)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I might have identified what is causing the buffering issue via Tvheadend client when watching freeview Live TV in Kodi from a TVheadend Server source. Here is my setup.

Tried - Kodi 14.x - v16

Live TV Source freeview -
- using RPI2 with PS3 LiveTV (DVB-T)
- Tvheadend Server Installed
- RPI2 is connected via wired LAN

Minix X8-h Plus
- Up to date firmware/OS
- Tried Kodi 14.x - 16
- Currently using tvheadend client v2.2.7
- Connected via WIFI

Problem:
Via Minix, from kodi, watching LiveTV via the tvheadend client, I will eventually get excessively annoying buffering issues. Some channels more often.
Explored all advancedsettings to optimize it.. still happening.

Tests -
1. RPI 2 - I have another RPI2 which I can use to watch LiveTV without the annoying buffering issues. RPI2 is connected via WIFI.
2. VIA Windows Kodi from the laptop, also via wifi, No buffering issues either.
3. VIA Windows VLC with the tvheadend module, No buffering issues.
4. VIA MINIX X8-H PLus, via wifi or wired
- Through any versions of KODI, LiveTV does have the excessive buffering issues. Kodi 16 with the latest v2.2.7 tvheadend client, less frequent buffering but still consistently happening. Doesn't matter if I was connected via wifi or wired. Doesn't matter if I tweak the advancedsettings, still happening.

- VIA the Android TVHGuide (tvheadend client), NO BUFFERING issues when viewing channels.

Issues identified -
1. So i gathered it had to be something within KODI - in my case Android
2. Started to disable ALL Video HARDWARE ACCELERATION via Kodi - Kaboom.... buffering issues stopped, but off course you do notice the video ain't as smooth.
3. Enabled each Hardware Acceleration module one at a time
a) AMCODEC - Enabled with all others disabled, restart kodi, buffering issues came back while watching LiveTv
b)LIBSTAGEFRIGHT - Enabled with all others disabled , restart kodi, buffering "almost" disappeared, but once in a while you get a sound glitch.
c) MEDIACODEC - Enabled with all others disabled, restart kodi, NO BUFFERING ISSUES - but video quality wasn't the best and was less smooth. But at least I didn't get the consistent buffering issue.

POSSIBLE BUG -
So its just my guess that the problem may lie in a poorly implemented or unoptimized Hardware Acceleration Codecs?
reviving old post, but I think you are correct and is the same for other PVR's (Stalker, IPTV Simple etc) Although the quality dips the buffering definitely disappears when removing the amcodec.
hey guys,

i wonder if there is any progress with this "switching channels lead to blackscreen when using amcodec" thing.
there is a litle fight going on because of this on minixforum. i own a x8h+ and suffer from this blackscreen problem a lot.
has the cause been identified? is anyone working on it? who is to blame anyways?

cheers
I used to see this black screen on AMLogic devices.
Updated my TvHeadend Server to v4.07 and using the latest pvr.hts client version for Kodi 16.0 Jarvis and I have never seen it since.

http://build.mycvh.de/Tvh/
(2016-01-16, 11:17)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I used to see this black screen on AMLogic devices.
Updated my TvHeadend Server to v4.07 and using the latest pvr.hts client version for Kodi 16.0 Jarvis and I have never seen it since.

http://build.mycvh.de/Tvh/

Hey there.
I am on tvh 4.0.8 and kodi 16 beta 5.
Still I have the black screens every 5th or 6th switching channels.
I am trying to circle in the cause. What's your hardware setup? I have a MINIX x8h+ as client and a rpi2 is hosting tvh. The problem occurs only on the MINIX. All other clients work fine. So far I believed in a bug inside the codec that amlogic offers for using the hardware decoding.