Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Accessing Kodi file structure via network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to Kodi, and I am customising some xml files by creating them in Notepad on a windows PC , then copying them to a flash drive, and using Kodi File manager to copy into the Kodi file system.

I was wondering if there is a way to simply copy the file direct to the Kodi Android Box via the network?
I am further wondering if I can then somehow share the attached hard drive (SDA1) sothat I can copy movies and file to that drive across the ethernet network too?

I have checked the WIKI for SMB and SAMBA etc, but it seems most of that is geared for Kodi to access files FROM devices on the network, not the other way round.

Is this a Kodi function, or the underlying Android function?

Any pointers?

TIA
I've used ES file explorer to get stuff from my pc when I'm on android; wifi file explorer pro to access android when I'm on my pc; Samba Filesharing Server (from xda, not on the play store at the moment) to access android in windows explorer.
The last needs root, can't remember for the other 2.
Thanx Troggy, think I will give them a go.
So it looks like I need to use Android file sharing apps.
Just remembered - have a look at this - works really well for me.
ES File Explorer. If you go to Remote Manager under Network, you can start an FTP server on your Android box then just access the file system from a PC where you can copy files to and from.
(2015-09-18, 13:00)Dougal1709 Wrote: [ -> ]ES File Explorer. If you go to Remote Manager under Network, you can start an FTP server on your Android box then just access the file system from a PC where you can copy files to and from.
There's a guide for doing that in the post above yours. Wink
Thanx Guys!

Apologies for the many questions, but just to be clear :

I will start the FTP "server" on the android box, then just use my usual FTP program to copy the files across? Sounds simple enough.

But where does ES File explorer come into the picture, surely that runs on the android box? Or are you saying that you use a windows version of ES F.E.?

Will look at that other post now too. Again thanx for the help.
Troggy can you please send me a link to the post you mean, I cant seem to locate it
Oh wait, do you meant that "network....Remote manager" is a function inside ES file manager? That sounds logical.! duh.
Ok, will try it later today.
Yep.
It's all in the link in post #4.
Perfect. thats EXACTLY what I wanted. Thank you so much!