Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video card recommendation for noob???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone. I'm hoping this isn't an inappropriate type of question to ask in this forum. I am pretty much a total linux noob here could use some assistance/suggestions. I have setup a home media system using Ubuntu Mate 15.04 as the OS. The computer is connected to a 42" TV via HDMI cable for video and sound.

I was given the computer from a friend when the original HD died in it. It's a pretty basic computer: Gateway DX4860-UR15P. 4 GBs RAM, an integrated Intel video card with HDMI output. I've updated the HD to a 4 TB model and have some TV show and some Movies on there. Using Kodi (intalled 14x which a couple of weeks ago updated to 15x).

The installation/setup went fine. Once I figured out some of the settings for sound (through the HDMI connection) it was fine. I use this almost exclusively to watch the TV shows and movies. I will occassionally stream a sporting event (MLB game or NFL game).

The only real issue I have is the video card. If watching an SD TV show it's not usually noticalbe but on the movies or an HD TV show I'll see lines across the screen. The larger the video size (usually meaning more resolution) the more noticalble. So an old episide of Big Bang you might not see the lines at all but when watching LORT: Return of the King you'll see it a lot.

I figured it was the video card. I picked up an MSI card (1 GB) but that made it worse. I installed the card, downloaded the drivers (I tried the proprietary and the open source). But using that card I seem to be seeing the lines/black boxes more than with the integrated video card. I don't know if I should (can IHuh) diable the onboard video? Or is it just too cheap a card?

So my question(s) is what would you recommend for a video card that is EASY to install/configure for a linux noob? I am willing to go to a 2GB or higher if that is necessary. As a noob most commands are not known to me. The only information I could find for the computer in regards to video card acceptablility is that it is a PCI Express x16. The salesman at the computer store told me any PCI Express card would work as they are backward compatibile. But the one he sold em ($40) is not working (or I've installed/configured incorrectly). All I did was install then use the Additional Drivers configuration from the MATE menu.

I know this is not a lot to go on. I'm hoping (fingers are sooooo crossed) that there is a relatively inexpensive (less than $100) video card that will work easily with the system. I have no allegiance so nVidia or Radeon or whatever does not matter. I am just looking for ease of setup and a hopefully flicker/black box/lines free viewing experience. Again it is being output to a 42" TV via HDMI for both video and sound.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If I need to provide more information I will try. I am not at that computer right now but will be later today.

Here is the video card that I just purchased (and am willing to return if necessary):
MSI GeForce G210 1GB DDR3 PCI-e Video Card
Your intel video card is more than good enough. You're not playing games, you're fine. Whatever issues you have with video playback most likely have nothing to do with your video card.
(2015-09-18, 19:59)ilovethakush Wrote: [ -> ]Your intel video card is more than good enough. You're not playing games, you're fine. Whatever issues you have with video playback most likely have nothing to do with your video card.

So instead of buying a better video card would I be better off trying to up the RAM from 4GB to the system maximum of 16GB? The price point on the two is roughly the same (based on the prices at the store I shop at).

Thanks and again, any help and/or suggestions is very much appreciated.
(2015-09-18, 20:02)John.Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-18, 19:59)ilovethakush Wrote: [ -> ]Your intel video card is more than good enough. You're not playing games, you're fine. Whatever issues you have with video playback most likely have nothing to do with your video card.

So instead of buying a better video card would I be better off trying to up the RAM from 4GB to the system maximum of 16GB? The price point on the two is roughly the same (based on the prices at the store I shop at).

Thanks and again, any help and/or suggestions is very much appreciated.

No don't do that. Even 4 GB of RAM is overkill for kodi, because Kodi is incapable of using more than 2 GB of RAM.

I'm not exactly sure how to help you. I'd need some more information. What is the resolution of the videos you're playing? What video settings and playback settings do you have enabled?

Just play around with those settings and see if your problem gets solved. If it's something more serious, like compatibility issues, I can't help you, you're going to have to wait for someone with more knowledge to come in
Nha, 4 gb is more then anough, i have a core 2 with ssd + 2 gb mem + h4600
OK. Thanks guys. I will start playing with the settings when I get home. Most of the videos are going to be of the 720p or less range (especially the TV shows). Some of the movies are HD quality but most are smaller. I will remove the newer video card and put it back to where it was (in regards to the HDMI settings referencing the new video card). I will play with the settings and anything I find and/or discover I will post back here. Hopefully it'll help someone else.

Thank you again for the help. It's good to know I'm almost there Smile
I think I know what the problem is and it is not your video card.

This is an educated guess, but the lines and flickering only appear when watching SD or HD TV?

I don't know in the country you are living in but in Australia the TV broadcasts are MPEG2 interlaced and
when watching them through a computer (Kodi or any other media player) the video is not de-interlaced
unless you enable the correct settings.

The horrible lines on your TV broadcasts are caused by the de-interlacing not been set correctly.

How to fix de-interlacing of TV broadcasts (and some DVDs too):
  • Play your SD or HD TV broadcast in Kodi
  • While the video is playing, press the M key on your keyboard and the on screen display should appear.
  • Click or press the arrow keys on the keyboard and select the icon that looks like a roll of film and press ENTER on your keyboard.
  • The video playback menu should appear.
  • Change the de-interlacing option to Auto.
  • Change the de-interlacing method to what works best for your display. I chose Blend, some people prefer Bob (you can always change it).
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and select Set as default for all videos.
  • A dialogue box will ask you if you are sure you want to do this, click Yes or OK.
  • Done! Hopefully now your TV and interlaced videos will look a lot better now.

Here are the relevant sections in the Kodi Wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback

Hope this helps.
The graphics card you are using is an nVidia card and it should work with Kodi and Linux without too many issues (hopefully):

In my experience and with my card the proprietary drivers work much better with Kodi than the open source drivers.
The Nvidia card you are using is good enough for 1080p x264 and such, if you plan on using 4k or h265 (assuming your cpu cant handle it) or better then you need a better card.

However Im of the opinion, that Nvidia cards are the amongst the easiest to setup (with the nvidia drivers from ubuntu or a 3rd party ppa and less bug issues in Linux.

I wouldn't swap Nvidia for intel or ATI for HTPC use even if some are technically more capable and has opensource drivers. Unless of course you can handle the issues and setup quirks.
John.Thomas, try to install drivers for you integrated Intel card.
Start from following this link https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads
No, for intel drivers you start here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955